Up and Running ...HD is Back

vinnyv07

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2004
Hello. I'm officially a Dish HD sub....all for 20 bucks a month. I called up Dish and the man on the phone said he couldn't add the VOOM pack without the promotion that they were running. After a couple of minutes, I mentioned that I did not have a access card.....I didn't know that the 811 was a cardless receiver. But I found out. For a second there I thought I bought this receiver and I wouldn't be able to use it. Anyway the CSR tried and tried to get the VOOM pack added....after a half hour he created an account for me and transfered me to the tech department....and the tech guided me through everything. All is well in the world....I have MonstersHD back....and TNTHD and my kid loves watching Pet Alien on AnimaniaHD. Even though there isn't much new programming on...I will still watch this HD pack ten times more than Directv's , which I cancelled. This is actually the first time I have laid my eyes on Dish Nets HD and in my opinion it is alot better than Directv's. Alot of these ch's have the WOW factor that Direct misses so often. For the 20 bucks a mth....you can't beat it.

The only thing I miss is that the 811 receiver does not have a rf output...I used the rf output to run to another tv in the house. I'm going to buy a rf modulator.

vinnyv07 said:
Hello. I'm officially a Dish HD sub....all for 20 bucks a month. I called up Dish and the man on the phone said he couldn't add the VOOM pack without the promotion that they were running. After a couple of minutes, I mentioned that I did not have a access card.....I didn't know that the 811 was a cardless receiver. But I found out. For a second there I thought I bought this receiver and I wouldn't be able to use it. Anyway the CSR tried and tried to get the VOOM pack added....after a half hour he created an account for me and transfered me to the tech department....and the tech guided me through everything. All is well in the world....I have MonstersHD back....and TNTHD and my kid loves watching Pet Alien on AnimaniaHD. Even though there isn't much new programming on...I will still watch this HD pack ten times more than Directv's , which I cancelled. This is actually the first time I have laid my eyes on Dish Nets HD and in my opinion it is alot better than Directv's. Alot of these ch's have the WOW factor that Direct misses so often. For the 20 bucks a mth....you can't beat it.

I've been doing the same since the Voom channels came to E*. I love it! All the HD I need. Plus I get WB, CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, and PBS HD channels via the QAM tuner in the TV with my $13 basic cable package. Lot's of HD ;)

digiblur said:
I've been doing the same since the Voom channels came to E*. I love it! All the HD I need. Plus I get WB, CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, and PBS HD channels via the QAM tuner in the TV with my $13 basic cable package. Lot's of HD ;)
The QAM tuner is in your tv correct...is the 811 a QAM tuner? I couldn't find that info anywhere.

garys said:
I thought the QAM tuner was for multiple receivers on an apartment complex. My dealer told me to never use that. I uses specific equipment not used in my hookup.
I'm pretty sure that its a type of sig that cable uses....and if you hook up cable to a QAM receiver you can get certain HD ch's...if they aren't encrypted. I'm pretty sure that the 811 is not a QAm receiver. At least it makes no mention of that anywhere.

vinnyv07 said:
The QAM tuner is in your tv correct...is the 811 a QAM tuner? I couldn't find that info anywhere.

The QAM64/256 tuner is in my TV and also in my MyHD-130 card in the HTPC. On my cable system you get the network HD's and the 40-50 music channels. DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD, HBOHD, etc are all encrypted. It looks pretty decent with them only using 2 HD channels per QAM256 carrier.

I've only used the OTA tuner in the 811 for a little bit and never liked the sensitivity of it.

SimpleSimon said:
The 811 has a QAM mode, but I believe that it is only used in MDU installations where the satellite signal is converted to QAM.
Yes...I found the QAM option in the menu....and it says that if you choose it that the receiver will reset. So...since everything is working good with my 811 ...I'm not going to go there. Like you said it's for MDU.

How does your programming package break down then? Obviously you owned the equipment.

9.99 HD Pack
5.00 Voom
5.00 - don't have a package fee?

This I'd concider.

Is the 811 legacy or will it do DP stuff? I have a 121 Superdish and I'm sure I've got parts get another DP LNB on 129 or even 61.5 on a another dish.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
How does your programming package break down then? Obviously you owned the equipment.

9.99 HD Pack
5.00 Voom

This I'd concider.

Is the 811 legacy or will it do DP stuff? I have a 121 Superdish and I'm sure I've got parts get another DP LNB on 129 or even 61.5 on a another dish.

Shawn

I have the same bill. The 811 is a DP receiver.

I am using all legacy LNBs and multiswitches. My understanding is that you can't mix DP LNBs and switches with legacy. I went the cheap route and went with legacy since I already had the legacy LNBs. If starting from scratch, I'd suggest using DP LNBs and multiswitces.

Shawn95GT said:

9.99 HD Pack
5.00 Voom

This I'd concider.

Shawn
My bill is exactly like you have it up top. 20 bucks for the mth....including the no package penalty. I had an old Directv dish still up on my roof....when I signed up for HD with Direct the installer gave me a new and improved oval dish. I didn't want them to take it down so they didnt. I knew I would find a use for it. So all the lnb's I have are legacy not DP. I have my old VOOM dish hooked up with the 110 sat ( had to remove the sat c the Directv had in the 110 slot and put the 101 lnb in its place) to the SW-21 switch. Everything has been working fine. My next step is to try and combine my OTA ant with the sat sig in one coax. If I start running another coax into the house my wife would kill me. Just one thing about the 811....its a good receiver but not as good as the VOOM receiver as far as picking up distant locals and OTA ch's with weak sigs. I used to be able to get WNET in NY with the VOOM receiver ...with the 811 it's more difficult to pick up.

So you got to do this in part because you already owned the 811??

How did you get the 811? Any suggestions if you'd prefer the 942?? And what about if you were just interested in getting the Voom channels without the HD pak,(which according to their website doesn't sound possible)

I would be a new subscriber, if that makes any difference.

JimP said:
So you got to do this in part because you already owned the 811??
How did you get the 811? Any suggestions if you'd prefer the 942?? And what about if you were just interested in getting the Voom channels without the HD pak,(which according to their website doesn't sound possible)
I would be a new subscriber, if that makes any difference.

You have to sub to the HD pack and the VOOM pack....they won't let you sub to just the Voom pack. I bought my receiver off of someone on ebay. I was afraid at first but what you can do is ask for the receiver number info before you buy it....this way you can check out if the receiver has any money owed on it. Or if the person just upgraded to a new HD receiver then you know they don't owe anything on it.Bottom line is ...you don't buy anything from someone who doesnt have a good rating. I don't know about the 942....but the reason why I went for the 811 is because it's the cheapest HD receiver out there. I figured that if I get a year out of it before Dish decides to upgrade to Mpeg 4, I would have gotten my moneys worth out of it. I expect that Dish will offer me sometype of deal to upgrade....and I will take advantage of that. The 811 isn't bad....not bad at all. I have seen worse....it is a little slow but like I said, it will do for me for now. I'm very happy to have TNTHD and VOOM back in my house. I really missed watching HD.....and one more thing....even my wife was saying last night...."what did you do to the tv?" The picture quality IS that much better on Dish than Directv. It's not even close....even the OTA ch's look really good on the 811. For 20 bucks a mth...9 bucks more than the Directv HD pack...it's worth it. The catch is that you have to own the equipment.

yes it is, i saw it playing around in menus to go from sat mode to QAM mode

vinnyv07 said:
I'm pretty sure that its a type of sig that cable uses....and if you hook up cable to a QAM receiver you can get certain HD ch's...if they aren't encrypted. I'm pretty sure that the 811 is not a QAm receiver. At least it makes no mention of that anywhere.

RIRWIN1983 said:
yes it is, i saw it playing around in menus to go from sat mode to QAM mode
It says that mode is for multi dwellings...it also says if you choose that option that your receiver will be reset. Has anyone tried the QAM option on the 811 when connecting your cable service?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)