"Upconverted" material vs "True HD" material

rexoverbey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
I have arguments w/ people on other forums about how much HD is available w/ Voom. And they always try to come back w/ "Voom is mostly upconverted material". What does people here think of that? How much is really upconverted? I would think it would only be the movie channels that would be upconverted.

movies are converted to HD from a source that is of greater resolution than HD and the result is HD. Most of the film it was shot on is superior to the HD specs. Look at HDnet and watch their converted Hogans Heros, its flawless just like the voom movie channels. DO NOT CONFUSE THE WORDS CONVERTED TO HD AND UPCONVERTED!

Upconverted implies that the source is sd of inferior and that is not the case witht the voom exclusive movie channels

pOiNTBLaNK said:
mostly everything but movies are true hd

As Vurbano said. Film is an extremely true reproduction that has almost unlimited resolution. There are no pixels to "upconvert" on film. Film is a light source, just as live action is. When you film the "film" you are filming true HD from a source that is as good or better than HD.

Folks, even the tiniest bit of common sense would tell you that...

Ah hell, cameron...there ya go looking for that common sense thing, which you well know is damned near impossible to find, even in extremely small quantities :)

Lob

I would say the upconverted stuff doesn't look as good as orginal hd broadcast. Like HDNET, HDNEWS, etc...

rexoverbey said:
I would say the upconverted stuff doesn't look as good as orginal hd broadcast. Like HDNET, HDNEWS, etc...

You are totally confused....

True HD Categories

1. HD Video
2. 35 mm Film Video
3. 16 mm Film Video

Of course, HD Video looks the best. 35 mm Film Video is second and third 16 mm Film Video.

"upconverted stuff" is none of the above. Is taking a 4:3 standard definition movie (480i) and upconvert it to a higher resolution (like 720p or 1080i). The "upconverted stuff" does not goes through the following process:

Posted by mike123abc

"......A telecine machine is used to digitize each frame of the movie. The film reels are cleaned and lubricated before they are loaded into the telecine machine, then each frame is scanned to hard disk. The operator of the machine then does general color correction."

To learn more about how this process How an HD transfer of an old movie is done?

what Sean said,

and there are some real doozy thread titles on this forum today that should just be canned. Its either pure stupidity or just plain lies. PLease "dvd as good as V* HD"?

That's what I was saying. Everyone else is saying that film looked better than the origial source video.

From the website I posted above.

HDTV video cameras that exist now boast 1,000 TVL/PH of horizontal resolution, exceeding the available resolution of 35mm film. The potential exists for an HDTV video production to exceed the quality of an original film negative

Rex,

V* converts old film to HD quality and broadcasts it 1080i. Thats as good as it gets with any service. Period. These new cameras may be higher resolution, maybe preparing for 1080p or something, but right now theres no way to see 1080p.

rexoverbey said:
That's what I was saying. Everyone else is saying that film looked better than the origial source video.

From the website I posted above.

HDTV video cameras that exist now boast 1,000 TVL/PH of horizontal resolution, exceeding the available resolution of 35mm film. The potential exists for an HDTV video production to exceed the quality of an original film negative

Yes, this is what we believe... but try to tell that to Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks or any big Director. They still want to shoot on film. Film will be here for a long time. Directors are not going to stop doing film because HD video looks better. Therefore, the need to transfer the film to HD.

vurbano said:
DO NOT CONFUSE THE WORDS CONVERTED TO HD AND UPCONVERTED!

Upconverted implies that the source is sd of inferior and that is not the case witht the voom exclusive movie channels

and like Vurbano said there's a difference between "upconverted" and "Converted to HD". I learned my lesson once for using the "upconverted" terminology loosely. We should try to use the right terminology. "upconverted" means less than true HD. "True HD" means true hd...

Edit: I have changed the subject of the thread to reflect this.

Sean,

what rex is saying is that HD video looks better on something like HDnet. But voom does not convert hdnet video to film. This is comparing apples to oranges. Yes Hd video looks cleaner. what on earth does this have to do with the quality of vooms picture?

you know what? rush hd video looks better than hdnet movies. there ya go Rex tell your friends that. Also worldsport hd video looks better than hdnetmovies or espnhd on D*. tell your friend that. its an unfair comparison, but its the same thing they are complaining about.

rexoverbey said:
I have arguments w/ people on other forums about how much HD is available w/ Voom. And they always try to come back w/ "Voom is mostly upconverted material". What does people here think of that? How much is really upconverted? I would think it would only be the movie channels that would be upconverted.
The simple answer is no nothing is upconverted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)