UPDATE! 12-21-05 Dish Transmitting CBS-E HD in 1440x1080i

Thats like the devil giving God a hand when the line at the Pearly Gates gets a little longer than usual.

Hokie totally forgot about the regional sports...My Eagles are so bad this year I haven't been able to sit through an entire game even in HD. :p

jmcgee_jr said:
yeah IMHO they should make it where you get the HD feeds for E C W and then when they cut to commercial they switch it to your SD local feed this way they only need the main feeds and save on bandwith? I know that wouldnt really work but oh well.
Yea, that's what I was asking my TV engineer friend this weekend.
I thought it couldn't happen for legal (FCC under pressure from Cable lobbyists) reasons.
He gave me some good technical reasons that shut me up.
He said to make the receiver be able to switch and keep the presentation time stamps in order, you'd need a more complicated receiver.
Nothing we have today.
I don't know how big a problem that is, but still sounds like a lot more interesting problem to solve than where to stick more birds! :)

I'll think up some workable ideas and get back to ya.

merry xmas

A "true" 720p isn't bad. Like native ESPN and ABC stuff.

But downconverted VOOM 1920x1080i to 720p will suck just like the CBS feed that started at 1920x1080i and was being downconverted to 720p sucks. Apparently Dish is using poor quality downconverters, which are much more plentiful than high quality downconvertors.

Then this poor quality 720p comes down to my 942 and gets upconverted back to 1080i before going to my TV. The resultant 1080i image is decidedly worse than if they were sending 1280x1080i to start with. At least that format doesn't go through a 1080 to 720 to 1080 step.

Tom Bombadil said:
A "true" 720p isn't bad. Like native ESPN and ABC stuff.

But downconverted VOOM 1920x1080i to 720p will suck just like the CBS feed that started at 1920x1080i and was being downconverted to 720p sucks. Apparently Dish is using poor quality downconverters, which are much more plentiful than high quality downconvertors.

Then this poor quality 720p comes down to my 942 and gets upconverted back to 1080i before going to my TV. The resultant 1080i image is decidedly worse than if they were sending 1280x1080i to start with. At least that format doesn't go through a 1080 to 720 to 1080 step.

Voom and other 1080i channels will still go through a lot of different conversions if they are sent to dish in 1920x1080i, dish converts them to 1280x1080i, and then your receiver converts them to 1920x1080i.

ok I have a bitrate reading you guys wanted from CBS East on 61.5, with True HDTV programming

from CSI and various other samples this evening

1440x1080i / Video bitrate of 9.75 Mbps :( :( :(

CBS used to be 1920x1080i / video Bitrate of 17.05 Mbps

thats enough to ruin a man's Christmas, thank you Dish :mad:

-Gary

BrettTRay said:
Voom and other 1080i channels will still go through a lot of different conversions if they are sent to dish in 1920x1080i, dish converts them to 1280x1080i, and then your receiver converts them to 1920x1080i.

The image degradation going from 1920x1080 to 1280x1080 and then back to 1920x1080 will be less than if the middle step is to 1280x720. And less yet if the transmission resolution is 1440x1080. From my perspective a conversion to 1280x720 is the worst case scenario.

Gary Murrell said:
George, CBS up until a week ago was 1920x1080i at 17.05 Mbps
they are obviously still testing stuff out right now
-Gary

Yes, but it's not a secret what's coming. 61.5 is adding 5 more channels of Voom, ESPN2HD, and the rest of the NYC networks. The east coast HD LiL will probably be there as will mirrors of any on the new national HD channels Dish Network adds. Yes, they're still testing things out and it could get better as things settle down (I'm guessing most channels will end up 3 to a TP at 14 mbps), but I doubt you'll see full bitrate/full resolution return in the near term given what we know.

Gary Murrell said:
ok I have a bitrate reading you guys wanted from CBS East on 61.5, with True HDTV programming
-Gary

Ruining my Christmas is exactly right. This whole thing has got so out of hand. 9.75Mbps, WTF?

Gary Murrell said:
-Gary

Probably not a good show last night to test. I tested CSI last night on OTA, as well as the show after it, Without a Trace. In every case, I never saw a sample hit higher than about 12.5Mbps, at 1920x1080i. And Without a Trace had higher readings than CSI. My few CSI samples were also below 10. True test will be saturday afternoon, during NFL football.

Kirby Baker said:
True test will be saturday afternoon, during NFL football.

Please test both CBS games on Saturday. Don't know if this transfers to the E* CBS channel, but when I watch OTA CBS double header football with Titans as game #1 (my local team), game #1 looks like regular digital while game #2 looks like higher definition.

JH1949 said:
Please test both CBS games on Saturday. Don't know if this transfers to the E* CBS channel, but when I watch OTA CBS double header football with Titans as game #1 (my local team), game #1 looks like regular digital while game #2 looks like higher definition.

I'll do checks from OTA and D* and their HD-lite version. I dont know if one or both games are regional, but if they are, I probably will be able to test 3-4 different games.

Titans at Dolphins will not be HD.

Chargers at Chiefs, Raiders at Broncos and Colts at Seahawks will be HD.

Chargers at Chiefs and Colts at Seahawks will be on CBS HD East and West, but some of us E* subs have to deal with Blackouts on some games. Don't know about these, yet.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts