We have a change in CBS HD:eek: :eek:

it is now being sent 1440x1080i :mad:

this proves that Dish is trying to pak these channels on one transponder

we need a thread title change guys ;)

I also think that we should start emailing Dish now about this channel

-Gary

Last edited:
Gary Murrell said:
HD-Lite and conversions can be spotted when viewing HD downconverted to 480i on a 20" SD display
my 6000 I use for recording and reading is connected to such a TV in my PC room, HD-Lite is easy to spot on even such a lowly TV and 480i composite video connection:mad:
-Gary

I've read some whoppers in my time, but this takes the cake! If you really believe this, then I'm worried about you man. We are all angry and anxious to see what shakes out with this, but if E* is monitoring these threads they are now rolling on the floors.

Hammer

hammerdown said:
I've read some whoppers in my time, but this takes the cake! If you really believe this, then I'm worried about you man. We are all angry and anxious to see what shakes out with this, but if E* is monitoring these threads they are now rolling on the floors.
Hammer

I don't believe anything, I SEE it as plain as the hand in front of my face, any discerning eye could spot this and I wish I had a venue to prove it

it's a general muddy quality to the picture that cannot be hidden no matter the display, 480i or 1080p

-Gary

Should be able to now, until 1pm. There's some dumb HD soap on... I'm interested to know if they are using the same bitrate as when it was 720p, or if its closer to when it was 1920x1080i.

Sometimes its best to play hard ball. 30k subs on the phone dropping Voom would change things. If they intended to go to 1920 why would they stop at 1440???? IMO Dish is thinking the Following " "The Voom subs are complaining about PQ, Cablevision sent out the channels at 1440 so thats what we will do"

Last edited:
vurbano said:
Sometimes its best to play hard ball. 30k subs on the phone dropping Voom would change things.
This forum is a hoot!
What coolaid are you guys drinking? 30k subs on the phone dropping Voom going to happen about the time this forum is gonna' actually effect serious change of E*'s business practices:rolleyes:
Don't you guys have jobs? Say it with me: It is just TV.

Fezzig

Gary Murrell said:
I don't believe anything, I SEE it as plain as the hand in front of my face, any discerning eye could spot this and I wish I had a venue to prove it
it's a general muddy quality to the picture that cannot be hidden no matter the display, 480i or 1080p
Gary Murrell said:
Bitrate cannot be taken right now because sadly no true HDTV is on :( with this SD material on the bitrate is around 10 Mbps this conversion still doesn't jive with me
Gary, I'm with you all the way on the HD PQ battle, and clearly 1440 isn't as good as 1920, but is it really fair to judge the new resolution based on SD content? I mean, it will be the same crap regardless of whether its upconverted to 1280x720 or 1440x1080. Furthermore, a 10 Mbps SD signal should more than handle any SD signal with zero recompression, so wouldn't any muddiness just be passed through from the source itself?

Who, I think you are confusing my 2 statements a little

my talking of noticing the muddy quality of HD, is when viewing a HDTV program in HD-Lite 1280x1080i being donconverted to 480i and viewing via svideo/composite from Dish receiver

I was saying the muddy picture quality is even viewable when HD-Lite is being down-converted to 480i and viewed on SD TV's

I was saying that we can't compare bitrates and such on CBS until they are showing some real HD content, that won't be until this evening

bitrate doesn't really matter to me on CBS because you can't shine down-converted turds ;) as most guys would agree with

boy if Dish would send thru every hd channel the same as their HD Demo on 61.5, which is 1920x1080i 16.50 - 17 Mbps Video

do it Dish and raise your HD prices, we will gladly pay for quality

-Gary

How does Dish think that this is going to make anybody any more happy than before??? I would just like to know what is going through there head right now. There is DiscoveryHD channel that is 1920x1080i with something around 14mbps that looks pretty good, so why can't they do this with voom instead of downrezzing it. There not going to save all that much space by doing 1440x1080i. Regardless of what other people say, 720p looks better than 1440x1080i in my opinion.

Dish said in emails that they send out what the provider sends them(of course they can't do full bitrate) but this is what should be their standards, anything less and I am jumping ship

Dish HD sub's are with Dish for a reason, that reason is picture quality, if they are going to do this, then Directv is the same and is much more appealing to more folks than Dish

-Gary

Last edited:
I think every channel in 1920x1080i is simply not in their plans now, or ever. With the HD LILs coming on they are going to suck up a ton of bandwidth. IMO I have no idea why you would want local HD LILs to begin with heck the only thing in HD in my area is the primetime shows which could be dealt with my haveing simple E and W feeds, and have the remaining programming as SD LILs. Last I checked the local news/programming was not in HD.

I am guessing it must be some type of FCC regulation which if it is, its a bunch of crap that only cripples the SAT Cos.

yeah IMHO they should make it where you get the HD feeds for E C W and then when they cut to commercial they switch it to your SD local feed this way they only need the main feeds and save on bandwith? I know that wouldnt really work but oh well.

Thats a good idea but I'm sure there is something were missing as to why it would never happen. Good thinking though, thats the first I've heard of that idea.

What about local news broadcasts in HD? The local stations will never go for that. Also sports are usually regionalized, and some are in HD now (nfl, ncaa bball, football, etc). Its too complex, and the NAB would have a hissy fit.

Dish and Direct could have saved bandwidth if they had somehow shared their local feeds, but we know that would never happen, as they use the markets they have launched against each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)