UPDATE: billy donovan expected to be new magic head coach

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
UPDATE: orlandosentinel.com reporting donovan offered 6 million a year contract to be the orlando magic's new head coach and is expected to be announced friday. stay tuned!

let the speculation begin. brian hill is out as the orlando magic head coach. and there's rampant speculation in central florida that current uf head mens basketball coach billy donovan might be offered the job!

a current poll at orlandosentinel.com is reporting over 50 percent polled want billy d as head magic man. but we all know what the batting average of college turned professional head coaches is. should billy stay in gainesville?

Sorry...with the POSSIBILITY of a retiring Pat Reilly....there is ALREADY rumor of him taking over the Miami Heat. :p But seriously though, there is only 2 teams I think he would consider, Miami or Orlando....and he stated he wanted TOTAL control of ALL moves.....and I doubt that will be given with a coach with NO NBA experience....those days are over.

I'm just happy they are getting rid of Brian Hill. I watched so many Magic games and it was obvious the man has no business being an NBA coach. Every team would figure out what his strategy by half time and thats why they would lose games in the 3rd quarter. Granted the team has some problems. Dwight Howard has a clunky post up game, and none of the guards (especially Jameer Nelson, the worst defensive PG in the league) could guard anyone! If the Magic want to win, they ought to go for a real NBA coach like Rick Carlise. This guy is so under appreciated and would fit in well in Orlando.

I'm just happy they are getting rid of Brian Hill. I watched so many Magic games and it was obvious the man has no business being an NBA coach. Every team would figure out what his strategy by half time and thats why they would lose games in the 3rd quarter. Granted the team has some problems. Dwight Howard has a clunky post up game, and none of the guards (especially Jameer Nelson, the worst defensive PG in the league) could guard anyone! If the Magic want to win, they ought to go for a real NBA coach like Rick Carlise. This guy is so under appreciated and would fit in well in Orlando.

Well the heavy rumor down here is that IF offered, form Heat coach, Stan Van Gundy(who yesterday turned down the Pacers job because he did not want to uproot his family), would seriously consider it since he would stay close to his family and in the state. I think that would be a great fit for Orlando.

Wasn't this his second stint with the team? They should have learned the first time.

donovan spoke with memphis officials but stated he wasn't interested because they would not offer him total control. orlandosentinel.com is currently running a story that donovan says his main focus right now is signing a contract extension with the gators.

there's no question he would put seats in the seats and make money for the magic. but that organization has been hosed up for so long that it isn't worthy of someone of billy's abilities!

but, the longer he takes putting his billy donovan on a contract extension....the longer the talking heads in florida will speculate.

anyhow, if the magic wanted to lure a top notch college coach away to the pro ranks i gotta better idea.......pat summit! 'cmon, i bet she would be a very successful coach in the nba. of course, it would take all of fort knox and more to lure her a way from rocky top. but ya gotta admit the thought is intriguing!

Why are NBA teams so infatuated with college coaches? Most college coaches have made it at their profession because of their recruiting ability and they simply do not have the ability to make in game adjustments on command. Incompetant coaches like Jerry Tarkanian, Mike Montgomery, Rick Pitino, and John Calipari look great at the college level, but get exposed for the ineptness at the pro level. Pitino and Calipari play full court pressure systems that use lots of players because they do not have the expertise of getting their kids to run effective half court offenses. Tarkanian's only talent was to buy his players and give them ho's and hot tubs! Even Coach K got exposed on Team USA as many of the euro coaches schooled him during the tournament (especially by Greece and their head coach who outcoached Coack K in every way imaginable!)

Why are NBA teams so infatuated with college coaches? Most college coaches have made it at their profession because of their recruiting ability and they simply do not have the ability to make in game adjustments on command. Incompetant coaches like Jerry Tarkanian, Mike Montgomery, Rick Pitino, and John Calipari look great at the college level, but get exposed for the ineptness at the pro level. Pitino and Calipari play full court pressure systems that use lots of players because they do not have the expertise of getting their kids to run effective half court offenses. Tarkanian's only talent was to buy his players and give them ho's and hot tubs! Even Coach K got exposed on Team USA as many of the euro coaches schooled him during the tournament (especially by Greece and their head coach who outcoached Coack K in every way imaginable!)

You are right, alot are outclassed because they have no clue. AND the college get greed...HOW ballzy it is to have NEVER coach a single second of the NBA and want FULL CONTROL of a teams player personel...??!!:eek: I mean EVERY TIME I hear a coach want that...it makes me feel like calling the organization and tell them they are crazy to even think about it....:confused:

I think the worst was Rick Pitino when he took full control of the Celtics in 1997 and totally botched it up. They still are whining how they were bad because they didn't get Tim Duncan, but they don't admit it was their own stupid moves that would seriously damage that organization. Pitino got the 3rd pick and 6th pick and took Chauncy Billups, and nearly wrecked his career and traded him quickly, and Ron Mercer who turned out to be a bust. The fact is Boston got what it had coming since they were stupid enough to hire him after he botched the Knicks jobs years earlier, and now they got 2 incompetent morons running the Celtics now in Danny Ainge and Doc Rivers. The only good thing about Ainge is he drafts decently, and Rivers has the best big man coach around, Clifford Ray. I still remember how Tarkanian lasted like several weeks as the Spurs head coach and he was fired so fast it was funny.

This will end badly I think. And as far as bringing in fans. Thats absurd. The NBA is a whole new ballgame and there is no reason for fans to come in droves and to expect he will do well. :rolleyes:

funny, the orlando sentinel reported an increase in sales for season tickets within 24 hours after donovan was hired!

i think word got out that darko millic may actually resign. there's something about seven foot serbian's that bring out the fans in droves!

its true. as of about 25 minutes ago, the magic said they would allow him to return to gainesville. guess, he had a change of heart over the weekend.

i kinda feel bad for all parties concerned. during friday's press conference, donovan spoke at great length about how conflicted he was making his decision. ultimately, he needs to stay at uf. but i'm sure he's burned several bridges during the past 48 hours.

I would be pissed if I was one of the 200 people that bought season tickets since he said he was coming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)