update factory file without losing other data

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gpat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I guess I need to update my factory file on CS6100
I see 1.16 is out and thats about 3 yrs newer than what I have.
How do I install without losing my diseq settings?

Gpat,

Are you are speaking of the DiSEqC settings for the motor positioning? The motorized satellite positioning (locating) using DiSEqC commands are recorded and stored within the motor itself, not the receiver. Therefore, if you reprogram the receiver (upgrade the firmware) those settings are not affected as they are still maintained within the motor's memory. The only time these settings are erased and reset to factory default positions is when you perform a motor reset. I think you still have to tell the CS6100 that each satellite is mapped to a specific Px position. i.e. if 101.0W is mapped as P5 in the motor memory, you tell the receiver to go to P5 to locate 101W, the motor remembers where to go to locate P5. In this case, you don't have to relocate all of your satellites manually using DiSEqC positioning and stepping the motor to fine tune, you just have to assign each sat to its specific Px number or position. This you must do manually in the motor setup menu. You'll have to go through your current motor setup and positioning parameters and write down what the Px number is for each satellite before you perform the firmware upgrade. After the upgrade is completed, you have to reassign those Px numbers to all of your mapped satellites. Then, when you command the receiver to go to satellite 101W, it detects that you have assigned the position P5 to 101W and sends out a command to tell the motor to go to P5. Since the position of P5 is stored in the motor, it drives to that position and Voila! There is 101W!

With the Coolsat receivers, there is no way to retain the other setup parameters when you update the firmware. i.e. LNBF and switch types and ports you assign. You are required to save those parameters "outside" the box with an external editor and then reload them after the upgrade. The upgrade erases all the personalized and individually setup parameters and resets them all to default values or settings. The CS4K/5K/6K are generally happy with Channel Master editor, but Channel Master does not save everything regarding these settings.

The CS6100 is not supported by Channel Master editor so another editor is required. I have very little personal experience or knowledge of the CS6100 and any of its supporting editor programs, so I am of no help for specifics here. My brother has a 6100, but he reported that it was not well supported with external programs for this or related purposes.

RADAR

Last edited:
Gpat,

For more information on the motor positioning....

If you utilize USALS, as opposed to DiSEqC positioning. Then you do not have to go through the entire list of satellites and reassign them to their associated address or location positions (i.e. P1, P2, P3.....P17, etc). With USALS, all you are required to do is re-enter your proper latitude and longitude coordinates and all the satellite positions that are assigned to use USALS are mapped automatically. Here, the coordinates are stored in the receiver, but you only need to re-enter them once and that covers every satellite automatically. The receiver uses the site's latitude and longitude coordinates and the orbital degree position of any satellite and calculates a command to send to the motor.

I find USALS to be much more user friendly in this way. If you have your dish and motor properly aligned, you can swap out any receiver and upgrade the firmware and reset the receiver over and over again and all you need to do to get the arc back in track is to re-enter two simple pieces of information - your site's coordinates - and you are done.

I think that beats using DiSEqC settings for the overall simplicity.

RADAR

my motor positioning is thru my GI 922
Ive been putting off doing a master reset on it to add the newer sats because it such a PITA.
But you answered my question on the diseq switch settings.
as for the CS 6100 Ive copied it down on paper which switch port is which LNB so that will help.
But the channel list will just have to go.
Not very user friendly that I couldnt just save the channel list via USB and reload it later.

You have the option to save the channel list only or all system files (to USB) in every version of the CS6100 software I have ever seen. I have two of these. There is also a channel editor. I would have to do some digging to find it. It originally came from this site.

agree that you have the option of saving files via USB but how to reintroduce the ones you want to keep after a reinstall is whats puzzling
I think it will be faster for me to copy all info and duplicate after a new install.

Gpat,

I would be searching for the editor programs like rgk mentioned. Even if they happen to be imperfect, they are better than nothing at all. They should save you time in the future.

RADAR

I'll look for my copy tonight. I only used it once to enter the CW channels that require manual entry.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts