Update to version 2.69?

golfman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
I am new to all of this. I will be receiving my 811 today. I have 3 questions:
1. How can I tell if I have 2.69?
2. Has anyone heard if Dish is working on an update to fix all of the problems with 2.69?
3. If so, what kind of time frame are we looking at?

Thanks for the feedback.

269 updates

Since your getting a new unit during the setup it's going to download 269.
After the setup the easiest way to see what version is to press the system
info button on the front of the unit, you'll see 269 followed by some other
letters under software version. Too me is seems to take a month or two
for new software version's to come out, but I don't really keep track too closely. Some of the bugs have been there before 269, some may have
appeared with 269. The 811 has gotten better, it's just kind of buggy.

It will take a little time to get the learning curve on it, but just use this forum
for help.

A_Pac said:
i just got my 811 installed today and it took 2.68
Turn the receiver off. Unplug from the AC power. Reconnect the AC cord but do not turn the receiver on. Watch your TV. The receiver should start downloading 2.69. Do not interupt until download is complete.

golfman said:
I am new to all of this. I will be receiving my 811 today. I have 3 questions:
1. How can I tell if I have 2.69?
2. Has anyone heard if Dish is working on an update to fix all of the problems with 2.69?
3. If so, what kind of time frame are we looking at?

Thanks for the feedback.

1> Press the sys info button
2> Most likely yes. Receiver is new so it is a good bet they are working on fixing the issues and finishing the features. ;)
3> Anybodies guess. Software is an art not a science and predicting release schedules usually is very inaccurate. 2.69 is a much improved release, but still has some issues as I am sure you can see.

My basic take is that it works and produces a good picture. Some minor annoyances, but overall it is a functional box for most users. It will improve over time.

Turn the receiver off. Unplug from the AC power. Reconnect the AC cord but do not turn the receiver on. Watch your TV. The receiver should start downloading 2.69. Do not interupt until download is complete.

Don't worry about the "unplug" and leave out the "watch your TV" .

Just power down the 811 while you have a free hour or two, or when you go to bed. There is no forcing it to download. You get it, when you get it. Then recheck it in the morning.

The key point is that the 811 must be OFF to get updates, not while you are "watching TV". (this should be a bug in itself IMHO)

charper1 said:
...The key point is that the 811 must be OFF to get updates, not while you are "watching TV". (this should be a bug in itself IMHO)
I think you're forgetting that the software download requires the use of a tuner. If you're watching TV on a single-tuner box, it obviously can not use that tuner to go get it's software.

Some (all?) E* dual-tuner boxes will download software when the 2nd tuner is not in use.

SimpleSimon said:
I think you're forgetting that the software download requires the use of a tuner. If you're watching TV on a single-tuner box, it obviously can not use that tuner to go get it's software.

Some (all?) E* dual-tuner boxes will download software when the 2nd tuner is not in use.

Really... I did not now this Simon.. Nice info. :up

Since we were talking about the 811 I didn't think that would be in play, so I was making sure he wasn't really watching the tv while waiting for the D/L.

charper1 said:
Since we were talking about the 811 I didn't think that would be in play, so I was making sure he wasn't really watching the tv while waiting for the D/L.
I think Simon was referring to your comment that it was a bug. Simon was pointing out the fact that a download requires a tuner so in the case of a single tuner system the box must be in standbye mode.

ahh, my mistake. i thought there were other systems that would take updates while the IRD was in use, so thats why i hate that it needs to be off.

Isn't the 811 a two-tuner box - one for OTA antenna and the other for satellite? If so, if I am watching HD off the antenna, won't the satellite tuner be available to download the new software?

HDTVBob said:
Isn't the 811 a two-tuner box - one for OTA antenna and the other for satellite? If so, if I am watching HD off the antenna, won't the satellite tuner be available to download the new software?

I think th 811 can access only one tuner at a time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)