Updated 622 External Storage Information

I don't think you can transfer back from the external drive. but that would not be that big of a deal to me. Your thought is a good one though.

Just a side thought.

In theory, some anomalies of the 622 may be related to a fragmented HDD, so it might be good to run the internal diagnostic that reformats it once in a while. Of course that would delete all it's contents, so it probably rarely gets done.

Will one be able to relocate the entire contents of the 622's HDD to an external HDD, reformat the drive and then return the external HDD contents back to the 622?

I don't think we will be able to transfer back from the external drive, but your thought is a good one.

...so it might be good to run the internal diagnostic that reformats it once in a while.
Is that option available to end-users ?? I believe people have had the option in beta releases but not in the final, public release.
Will one be able to relocate the entire contents of the 622's HDD to an external HDD, reformat the drive and then return the external HDD contents back to the 622?
Why bother ?? We've seen pictures of them moving data to the external drive but I don't recall seeing any moving it back to the internal. You can watch or playback from the external so that's probably sufficient (in Dish's eyes).

Some obscure keystroke sequence of the remote ?? I've read it here or somewhere on the 'net and it was listed as for the 522 or older DVR but some, maybe you, said it in fact works on the 622 also.

That doesn't address the transfering back onto the internal drive exactly, but I know that we were told that you could transfer back and forth with no problem (but the key here is that it is a transfer, not a copy, so there is only 1 version of the program per recording).
I think it does address it.
recordings can be made to the internal HDD only, then may be moved to the external HDD. Recordings can be played back directly from an external HDD or transferred from external HDD to internal HDD.

There never were any intentions to be able to have multiple copies of the same recording. It's either on the internal or external drive, and can be played back from either....

I just got a call from one of my contacts at Dish and was given some information and was asked to pass it on.

The update which will enable external storage on the 622 will rolling out starting on August 8th. Not everyone will get it on the 8th, but everyone will have it (knock on wood) by the 15th.
Has your contact told you it's still a "go" ??

Does John Dvorak currently have a show ?

I thought he hasn't had a show since TechTV went out of business.

(I have seen him as a guest on CNBC every so often...)

Yes, try: CrankyGeeks.com It is a weekly IP TV program that resembles a Sunday morning talk show, he is the host. He is also on the IP radio show ("podcast") weekly with Leo Laporte called TWIT. I have an RSS feed to my cell phone so I watch them when they get downloaded Both have real sponsors, commercial breaks but the TWIT is much less formal as to TV standard formatting.

As of this morning its still a go. Now word if it will be at Midnight tonight or 4pm tommorow though. ANd remember not everyone will get it tommorow. :)

will we only know if we "got it" by a software number change? Or will it only be evident if we actually plug a hard drive into it?

will we only know if we "got it" by a software number change? Or will it only be evident if we actually plug a hard drive into it?
Press MENU on your remote twice. Note the line that reads "L405" (or possibly L406 or L409) followed by (6) or more characters ? Check that tomorrow morning to see if it's changed. No one's mentioned what the next revision # will be, but given the two announced updates, it probably warrants a substantial increase, like L450 or something (doubt it will jump to L500). You could check here first to see if P Smith sees it being pushed out. If he doesn't, NO ONE will be getting it, so no need to check what your receiver says.

moving to 110 w

When Should I Expect My Box?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)