Updated 622 External Storage Information

...Another question... when you have a 211 or 222 with external hard drive capability, will it be able to record to the drive, or just play back?
With the current 622/722 system you have to record to internal disk first and then transfer the programs to the external. So they will have to change the programming to allow direct record for a 211/222. Playback is direct from disk. I can see why they would do this--consider pulling the plug during a record--disaster.

-Ken

Can you only MOVE movies and shows from the DVR's hard drive to the USB drive? Can they be COPIED, not MOVED, from the DVR to the USB drive? The USB drive can't be used as a true archive if you can only move stuff to it. I had a 622 that crapped out and I lost everything on the DVR's hard drive. I would like to make a backup copy of everything periodically to the USB drive. That way if it happens again I can get the new 622 unit and copy the movies back. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

The way dish wants to do it is that you can only move. However, with the glitch on the seagate hard disk, someone figured out how to make two copies. Soon dish will get rid of this. The thread is somewhere.

Can you only MOVE movies and shows from the DVR's hard drive to the USB drive? Can they be COPIED, not MOVED, from the DVR to the USB drive? The USB drive can't be used as a true archive if you can only move stuff to it. I had a 622 that crapped out and I lost everything on the DVR's hard drive. I would like to make a backup copy of everything periodically to the USB drive. That way if it happens again I can get the new 622 unit and copy the movies back. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks.
You can play movies from the USB drive. What's the point in moving them back to smaller real estate and limiting record time for new programs?

You can play movies from the USB drive. What's the point in moving them back to smaller real estate and limiting record time for new programs?

I think he meant to move it to a replacement 622 in case the receiver fails. I can see why it's important to move them back.

That is the original intent of an archive. To hold things in storage and provide a way to retrieve them again. Copying to an archive is a way of providing a backup copy from an archive. Dish is using the move to archive only function currently.

But I understand your point.

I think he meant to move it to a replacement 622 in case the receiver fails. I can see why it's important to move them back.
Same thing...moving from a larger drive to a smaller one. That's what I don't understand the logic of. As long as it's on external, leave it there and record new stuff on the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts