Updated 622 External Storage Information

Yep. Then you can have big honkin' storage that's protected instead of just having a bunch of independent drives.

I do think they'll run into DRM issues and that is the holdup. Not the technology to mount the share and store to/from it.

Cheers,

Bingo! We have already seen how many great concepts have been crippled by ill conceived DRM schemes. Heck you STILL can't really buy legal music with DRM and actually make it work on a variety of different players successfully.

I was afraid of that. Archiving things for posterity like SuperBowl etc., then is essentially worthless if the 622 HD crashes. Oh well, more storage atleast for HD programs that I might night have recorded.
Actually, after reading the preliminary info in the PUB, it looks like Dish is prepared to make your replacement 622 work with your archive drives.

I was also concerned about this bit of news but not after looking at something official.

I'm ready to archive! And not a gigabyte too soon!

And we don't know yet whether the 622 will reformat the hard drive being used with it. I hope not, but who knows.

I am confident, though, that they will get it to work with multiple receivers on the same account.

I installed my Seagate 500GB Freeagent this morning and dish reformatted it and then does a system reboot. Now just have to wait till 15th to activate it.

Bill

And if you connect to PC the formatted disk and run EFSexplorer, what would be a snapshot from it ?

I am not familliar with EFSexplorer and the only thing I see on google is ESF Key. Not sure if that is what you are refering to? Under computer management in windows the drive shows as 2 partitions. one @ 1.01gb and the other @ 464.75gb. file system is blank and status is healthy(unknown Partition).

Bill

I am not familliar with EFSexplorer and the only thing I see on google is ESF Key. Not sure if that is what you are refering to? Under computer management in windows the drive shows as 2 partitions. one @ 1.01gb and the other @ 464.75gb. file system is blank and status is healthy(unknown Partition).

Bill

Using BootIt NG the partitions are listed as being "Linux Native" with file system identifier "131/83h".

131/83h is indeed a linux native file system. This should be easy to read on my linux box (I don't HAVE a windows box, but....)

Bill

Oops, it is UFSexplorer - mixed with Dish EFS.

Attachments

• ufsexplorer.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
Bingo! We have already seen how many great concepts have been crippled by ill conceived DRM schemes. Heck you STILL can't really buy legal music with DRM and actually make it work on a variety of different players successfully.

No, but atleast APPLE for example, allows you to transfer your itunes to a different IPOD or computer, by deauthorizing one computer and reauthorizing another one.

That is what I would like Dish to do, incase of a 622HD crash.
Otherwise archiving is pretty worthless.

No, but atleast APPLE for example, allows you to transfer your itunes to a different IPOD or computer, by deauthorizing one computer and reauthorizing another one.

That is what I would like Dish to do, incase of a 622HD crash.
Otherwise archiving is pretty worthless.

Lets just hope this is a short-term issue, and they make it account based very soon. But as of now, we don't have anything yet, so still speculation. :)

Spence:

They won't let customers install 622s on lease and they aren't that hard to install.

Cheers,

Not always true, John. I installed mine without much of a verbal fight over the phone. Once they knew I had always done my installs (and owned everything other than their one leased receiver), they were happy to just send me the 622 for self-install.

Bob

Not always true, John. I installed mine without much of a verbal fight over the phone. Once they knew I had always done my installs (and owned everything other than their one leased receiver), they were happy to just send me the 622 for self-install.

Bob

I tried that tactic. I reminded them that I installed my 622 and 211 (both owned) without any assistance. It went nowhere.

I just got a second 622 a couple of weeks ago and they asked me if I wanted to install it myself or if they should send a tech. They presumably had no way of knowing if I was capable of this miraculous feat (I was/am).

They absolutely refused to just send me the receiver so this Sunday at noon the guy arrived and we installed it. He opened the box and did the paperwork. I did the rest.

No external hard drive for the 211 until at least December.

What about the 222? I'd rather use that, since it has DishCOMM and the 211 doesn't.

Will the 222 get external hard drive capability?

Another question... when you have a 211 or 222 with external hard drive capability, will it be able to record to the drive, or just play back?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts