Updated 622 External Storage Information

So out of the 80,000 members here, no one has rec'd L440 ?? :) Must be beta still, as I speculated, and they're not allowed to say they got it.

My guess is that you're right hall. Isn't that about the same number of people that are usually on PSmith's reports for beta labled releases?

...I will probably be one of the first to try it since I have a WD 1 TB drive here which is really two 500G drives in a box set for Raid 1 or Raid 0 depending on what you want. I haven't even opened it yet...

I too have such a drive. Two 500s in a nice little silver box with a blue LED on the front. My computer sees it as 1TB and I use it for mirror backups only of some drives internal to my computer. It's only on when I do a backup so it has very little wear.

I'll try to plug it in and see how much of the drive is used. If the 622 only says "X hours" we'll probably never know how much drive space is actually used. If it doesn't work because it's too big, then I'll put it back on my computer and get a separate drive for the 622. If it does work I'll leave it on the 622 and get a Drobo for my computer.

Yeap. It always seems around 300 or so.... If you recall when Dish asked for public volunteers for testing, they took 350. I seem to recall that under 300 got a release one day and a few days later, the 350 group then got the same one.

I too have such a drive. Two 500s in a nice little silver box with a blue LED on the front. My computer sees it as 1TB and I use it for mirror backups only of some drives internal to my computer. It's only on when I do a backup so it has very little wear.

I'll try to plug it in and see how much of the drive is used. If the 622 only says "X hours" we'll probably never know how much drive space is actually used. If it doesn't work because it's too big, then I'll put it back on my computer and get a separate drive for the 622. If it does work I'll leave it on the 622 and get a Drobo for my computer.

Pretty much my plan too. If it doesn't work it will go back to a drive form my HDTV editing on the Mac.

Does anyone remember reading, if your Dish 622 crashed and you were sent a replacement 622 from DISH, would the already archived programs on your external drive be able to be played back or transferred back to the NEW 622?

I was just wondering if when the 622 formatted the external HD, that it might identify the external HD to be able to be used only with that particular 622 serial number?

If that was not the case, then I think you would be able to share your external HD programs with a friend that also had a 622?

This has been discussed. Dish recently said that "sharing" among receivers on your account wouldn't be working yet. If they can't share amongst receivers in this manner, it seems very, very unlikely that the archived programs will work with a replacement receiver.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. A quick search and reading half this thread turned nothing up so I'm taking the lazy way now and just skipping to the end to ask!

What amount of space is needed to, for example, record a typical 1 hour hd program? I have several unused hard drives (and a USB enclosure) around the house from 80gb to 250gb and was curious if any of these would be suitable or if I need to buy a larger one. Thanks!

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. A quick search and reading half this thread turned nothing up so I'm taking the lazy way now and just skipping to the end to ask!

What amount of space is needed to, for example, record a typical 1 hour hd program? I have several unused hard drives (and a USB enclosure) around the house from 80gb to 250gb and was curious if any of these would be suitable or if I need to buy a larger one. Thanks!

5-10GB per hour is the best we can do as it varies on the channel's resolution (1080i vs 720p); encoding (MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4) and the actual content being encoded. All of these affect the storage requirements.

Cheers,

Newegg.com offers the Western Digital Elements 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive, model no. WDE1U5000N, for $112.99. Pay via PayPal and coupon code "Paypal20" cuts it to $92.99.

This has been discussed. Dish recently said that "sharing" among receivers on your account wouldn't be working yet. If they can't share amongst receivers in this manner, it seems very, very unlikely that the archived programs will work with a replacement receiver.

I was afraid of that. Archiving things for posterity like SuperBowl etc., then is essentially worthless if the 622 HD crashes. Oh well, more storage atleast for HD programs that I might night have recorded.

Hey, I could be wrong....
That's the problem, until the release notes are released, or even until the feature is actually available, it's pure speculation on our part.

But, based on what we learned the other day and our past experience with software updates, we're probably right. ;)

With all the talk of the new updates. I was wondering if we will ever be able to store programming to a server or any other storage device on the network? It would be awsome to save a program to my server and view it from another receiver in my home. ;)

Phil???

GroundhogDay19.jpeg

Ned? Ned Ryerson?

BING!

With all the talk of the new updates. I was wondering if we will ever be able to store programming to a server or any other storage device on the network? It would be awsome to save a program to my server and view it from another receiver in my home. ;)

Yep. Then you can have big honkin' storage that's protected instead of just having a bunch of independent drives.

I do think they'll run into DRM issues and that is the holdup. Not the technology to mount the share and store to/from it.

Cheers,

Yep. Then you can have big honkin' storage that's protected instead of just having a bunch of independent drives.

I do think they'll run into DRM issues and that is the holdup. Not the technology to mount the share and store to/from it.

Cheers,

And we don't know yet whether the 622 will reformat the hard drive being used with it. I hope not, but who knows.

I am confident, though, that they will get it to work with multiple receivers on the same account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts