Updated 722 Information

When I paid the one-time lease fee ($299) in March of 2006 the CSR told me the 622 was state-of-the art and there were exciting things that I would be able to do with the receiver in the "near future" like get HD locals and VOD, etc., etc. Also, the 622 was so advanced there was nothing upcoming that would be better. Right. Now to get all the programming I want I will have to get a new dish and the 722. No way that is going to happen.

Now you should know that anyone is lucky if a piece or electronic equipment makes it 12 mo's without being outdated in some kinda of way.

His 622 still offers the same things it does previously and still works with the future HD standard (MPEG4) on Dish Network.

I don't see where he was robbed of anything. If you want to talk about robbed, those 921/942 folks have largely been treated like crap up through and many paid 600-1000$ for that privilege.

What's the point of VOD if the 622 can't get the HD VOD?
The bigger question is "what's the point of VOD on DBS?"

Until they can offer TRUE VOD - that is, VOD that is streamed to your receiver as it is requested, from a selection of over 1000 titles, musch of it FREE - then, it isn't worth the time, effort, or wasted space on the hdd.

The bigger question is "what's the point of VOD on DBS?"

Until they can offer TRUE VOD - that is, VOD that is streamed to your receiver as it is requested, from a selection of over 1000 titles, musch of it FREE - then, it isn't worth the time, effort, or wasted space on the hdd.

I disagree, only because I like the idea of a movie downloading in the background and then watching it off the HDD.

Comcast's VOD system was very buggy for me. Id soon pick the movie and watch it when its ready.

Mark at dishdepot is offering $150.00 for any 622 traded in that you own towards the price of the 722 starting at 529.99. He has a pre order list and it will ship 8/16/07. He also takes other dish receivers for trade in . You can email him with your questions at his site. Mark is great to work with and I have used him almost exclusively for all my new dish receivers since 2002. He always pays for shipping and NO tax for anyone who lives out side of Florida.

Do we know when Dishstore will have this up for order and at what price?. I have ordered from Dish Depot before, but thought I would try the Dishstore this time.

People who want VOD like cable has will go to cable, nothing making them happy with satellite. However, I do think the vast majority of us would be happy with the ability to come home to a VOD movie ready to go.

A lot of the 'free' stuff on cable VOD is garbage. I suspect Dish Network will have their share of garbage eventually too. It'll cost Dish Network for Internet bandwidth, but overall bandwidth is cheap.

When I paid the one-time lease fee ($299) in March of 2006 the CSR told me the 622 was state-of-the art and there were exciting things that I would be able to do with the receiver in the "near future" like get HD locals and VOD, etc., etc. Also, the 622 was so advanced there was nothing upcoming that would be better. Right. Now to get all the programming I want I will have to get a new dish and the 722. No way that is going to happen.

So, what are you going to do with your 722 next year when the new model comes out with 2x the disk space and some yet to be announce wiz bang feature that you must have (I am sure they will come up with something)?

If you got in March 2006 you went almost 18 months! That is a long time for Dish equipment in the past...

HDVOD will really be limited to those with high speed internet.

So, what are you going to do with your 722 next year when the new model comes out with 2x the disk space and some yet to be announce wiz bang feature that you must have (I am sure they will come up with something)?
Since you beat me to it, I'll just add to your comments.... From the sounds of it, maybe the best thing for Dish to do would be STOP MAKING NEW MODELS. Is it a surprise that the new models are better in many different ways ?? Seems to come as a shock to some.

Remember, there will be hundreds of 622 receivers installed on 8/13 of this year and the following day, in some people's minds, it will be obsolete.

What about Howard Stern? Will we be able to get it with 722 VOD?

Too early to tell. I think content and whatnot will become more realized in the future.

They could theoretically do it. Whether they will or not, I"m not sure. In a way it would be a good deal for Dish.

INDemand is owned by the cable companies (Cox, Comcast and Time Warner). They may not want HOD on satellite carriers.

my 625 tells me it has like 10 movies i could watch. but it costs money? why not just DVR a PPV? then I can watch it whenever and however i would want.

my 625 tells me it has like 10 movies i could watch. but it costs money? why not just DVR a PPV? then I can watch it whenever and however i would want.

Don't PPVs cost too? They do in my world... :)

I pay for Starz and HBO. I'd just wait until it hit there 3-6 months later.

I disagree, only because I like the idea of a movie downloading in the background and then watching it off the HDD.

Comcast's VOD system was very buggy for me. Id soon pick the movie and watch it when its ready.
You're gonna need a mighty big hdd then. Good luck finding free movies, programs, and HD content as well.

Since you beat me to it, I'll just add to your comments.... From the sounds of it, maybe the best thing for Dish to do would be STOP MAKING NEW MODELS. Is it a surprise that the new models are better in many different ways ?? Seems to come as a shock to some.

Remember, there will be hundreds of 622 receivers installed on 8/13 of this year and the following day, in some people's minds, it will be obsolete.
Here's a crazy idea. Make the receivers upgradable. Nah. Not enough money to be made in that.

Here's a crazy idea. Make the receivers upgradable. Nah. Not enough money to be made in that.

There's only so much upgrading you can do within the boundaries of the platform before you might as well just replace the unit, same with computers, which is essentially what these devices are.

You're gonna need a mighty big hdd then. Good luck finding free movies, programs, and HD content as well.

What do you think the larger HDD is for?

I said I liked the idea, I did not say I was going to do VOD. Ill get a 722 if its the same price to swap as itll cost me for ext hdd support.

I really have no interest in VOD regardless of whether its HD or not. I have a BR player along with an online rental subscription, HD PPV aint even close.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)