Updated 722 Information

So DishONLINE will still be available for the 622? I was worried that this was going to be another bait and switch getting us 622 users excited about DishONLINE then telling us we have to upgrade to get it.
Yes the 622 will have DishOnline. We could still see it in August although a September release is now looking more likely.

Can we get a definitive answer on whether we the CONSUMER will get the HD space for our recordings and NOT that Dumb Ass ( and about 90% useless) VOD Crap, thanx!

Yes. The definitive answer is still NO. Dish sets aside space for VOD, that's the deal. You still get the recording space they advertise.

And who will maintain what hardware is compatible ?? When a customer installs un-approved hardware, it doesn't work, why should it cost Dish money to do a support phone call ??

As much as DVRs are nothing more than PCs to us geeks, to Dish, they're not. They're closed, non-user-servicable boxes.
Upgradable via software. Duh.

Dish has a plan already in place for 811/921/942 owners to upgrade them to MPEG4-capable receivers. I don't know the details 'cause it doesn't affect me though... Look around on this site.

My cellphone is upgradeable via software too.... Pretty sure I can't upgrade the hardware inside it. My wife's MP3 player is upgradeable via software too.... What hardware can I replace in it ?? Duh....

Dish Network said something about a card for HTPCs so in the future we could have PCs that do DVR and Dish Network.

I don't know the validity of it, but it was discussed at one of the Summits or something like that.

I think it'd be great because Dish Network could do it in such a way that system builders could add Dish support to their own machines.

As it goes with the CableCard standard, you're stuck with having the entire device (PC and all) having to be certified.. Totally kills it.

Most of us want such things for flexibility, not to pirate the service.. I do actually believe that. The pirates won't pay either way.

Any update on when we can order this from the Dishstore? Really need to replace my 942.

Dish should make one standard receiver. In that receiver it should be made to where it can be upgradable in all ways. Make everything plug and play. Make it to where the board can be swapable with another one. That board can have other boards that can be connected to it that is also swapable which would be memory, encryption, etc. Other slots for future use such as a hard drive, additional ports such as usb, ethernet, additional tuners, etc. They could have a seperate part of the board for MPEG-4 and another peice on it for the processor. I guess one can upgrade lots of things on one and it may get to the point to where it is cheaper just to replace the whole thing because of everything that would need to be replaced.

Another thing I think Dish should do is offer another type of VOD service. This would be kind of like what Netflix does. Why don't they make a deal with a company to offer an x number of movies in a month like Netflix does? Have them available on the hard drive like there is with VOD and for one flat monthly fee access all of the VOD that you want or access all the PPV's that you want? That would get some additional funds they never got before. I am surprised they do not do this already. They could do the same with video games and have a port on the receiver to connect to a computer or game console to play the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts