Updated 722 Information

This VOD is NOT the VOD you are getting now, it will be the new DishONLINE Broadband service which requires a broadband connection hooked to your 622 / 722.

Let's see:

HDVOD
- very limited selections
- expensive
- only good for 24 to 48 hours
- only available on one machine i will have to pay big to get

Nope - I don't need HDVOD and don't ever see needing it. I'm sure there will be someone whom this will benefit but from my prospective, this has to be the least valuable feature I have seen Dish come up with.

Maybe someone can educate me...

Is this a new/revamped service they are talking about or the old Al la crappie Dish on Demand?? $4.95 for the same movies playing on PPV for 3.95... never could figure that one out. Save a buck and set your DVR... I have a 625... they should pay us $5.00 for this service not the other way around!

(edit... posted to slow... thanks for the response before I posted Scott)

Their similar, not the same. It is suppose to also be some newer generation chips as well.

So far, Dish spooling same SW for both models; if you remember when 625 came, it was opposite - news SW was different from 522, but pretty quickly Dish made it same for both after adding DOD support.

Counting conservatively as 10 GB/h for HD movies, current reserved space on 622 disk will hold up to 10 HD recordings.

The VOD discussed at the Team Summit was along the lines of thousands of selections available for download. There were 2 types:

1. Movie packages downloads, for example if you subscribed to HBO you could download and watch any of the movies they had on for VOD (essentially most of the movies they were runnign that month). At the end of the specified time frame the VOD movie would be deleted from your receiver. This was a free service just like cable's VOD for the premium movie packages.

2. A large selection of PPV type movies which you rent, and could watch as many times as you wanted for a specific rental period (like 24 hours, 48 hours, a week, etc). This was essentially competing with netflix/blockbuster. They were talking catalogs of thousands of films. If you have high speed internet (>3mbit/sec) it would be faster than running to the video store for standard definition content since you could start watching the video after a few minutes.

So, essentially if you sub to the premium movie packages, this is a bonus value where you can watch the current movie set when you want to watch them. If you are not interested in the PPV section you do not have to worry about it.

I wonder what itd cost me to turn in my leased 622 for a 722. The extra recording hours would be enough to keep me from having to pay for the ext hdd fee and buy a ext hdd.

I love the 622... i've had it about a year and a half (hey my 18 month should be up here real soon) The only complaint I always have is not enough HD space and that I'm still forced to use the phone line (which often can't dial out) to avoid the stupid extra fee...

722 would be a nice only for extra space and hopefully ethernet enabled out of the box (but probably not). I just hope they continue to update the 622 and give us external HD and ethernet abilities for it.

I think if I can get a 722 for $150-$200 I will. Same cost Im looking at for external storage but less of a headache. Granted I wont have as much storage, but adding a ext hdd is really overkill in my situation.

Mark at dishdepot is offering $150.00 for any 622 traded in that you own towards the price of the 722 starting at 529.99. He has a pre order list and it will ship 8/16/07. He also takes other dish receivers for trade in . You can email him with your questions at his site. Mark is great to work with and I have used him almost exclusively for all my new dish receivers since 2002. He always pays for shipping and NO tax for anyone who lives out side of Florida.

Mark at dishdepot is offering $150.00 for any 622 traded in that you own towards the price of the 722 starting at 529.99. He has a pre order list and it will ship 8/16/07. He also takes other dish receivers for trade in . You can email him with your questions at his site. Mark is great to work with and I have used him almost exclusively for all my new dish receivers since 2002. He always pays for shipping and NO tax for anyone who lives out side of Florida.

Not to hijack the thread, but this wont help me much with my leased 622 correct?

I sent a question to ceo@echostar

Maybe you could explain how they "fooled" you.
When I paid the one-time lease fee ($299) in March of 2006 the CSR told me the 622 was state-of-the art and there were exciting things that I would be able to do with the receiver in the "near future" like get HD locals and VOD, etc., etc. Also, the 622 was so advanced there was nothing upcoming that would be better. Right. Now to get all the programming I want I will have to get a new dish and the 722. No way that is going to happen.

All the programming you want... dude you're only going to miss HDVOD... which I would never buy.
I like having a DVR but I really don't archive programming, I just want enough space to have two weeks worth of HD primetime programming on my DVR and not have to worry about deleting stuff ever other day to make sure I have room... but with the addition of an external on the 622 that should solve the problem (assuming we ever get that software update)

Also if you bought what a sales person told you about the tech / advanced features of the 622 and how it would never be obsolete... I may have a farm to sell you in the middle of death valley. :)

When I paid the one-time lease fee ($299) in March of 2006 the CSR told me the 622 was state-of-the art and there were exciting things that I would be able to do with the receiver in the "near future" like get HD locals and VOD, etc., etc. Also, the 622 was so advanced there was nothing upcoming that would be better. Right. Now to get all the programming I want I will have to get a new dish and the 722. No way that is going to happen.

Welp...time to slow up on my plans & equipment purchases to add the 622 to my wireless network. SD-only VOD? :rolleyes: Not worth bothering....and not likely to spend the $$$ to upgrade just for HD VOD.

HD VOD would matter to those (as said over on page 3) that have a premium channel theoretically. I have Starz and HBO, so I might be a little more interested in HD VOD if they're offering related VOD content included in the price of the premiums.

However - It'd be nice if they had a monthly deal like Netflix has, just because you could download the movie while working. With online scheduling too, this could work out very well and be yet another option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts