Updated DVB-S2 channel list for North America

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkanet

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
North California
Im brand new to DVB. While I'm waiting for my DVB World DVB-S2-CA USB receiver, I'd like to know what the most up to date DVB-S2 channel list in North America.

I'm very curious to see this latest standard in full effect on a PC. Heck, Ive never seen ANY HD FTA channels; just the blurry low quality DVB-S channels on Galaxy 19 / 97.0W.

Are there any S2 channels available in North America that are subscription based or something I could use the conditional access reader? If some channels are encrypted, does that mean the CA would be able to allow me to watch the channels?

PS: Do DVB channels in general need to be S2 standard for the channel to be in HD? Mpeg2 or mpeg4?

Thanks in advance for any answers people can offer.

MKANET

Interesting.. 32 immediate hits with no replies. That tells me there's a great interest for this kind of an updated list! Hopefully someone will know the answer to this.

Nobody has published a full DVB-S2/8PSK transponder list, even though DVB-S2/8PSK blindscan receivers have been around for months now. So there is no readily available list of all DVB-S2 transponders other than Lyngsat information.

HD is available on normal DVB-S QPSK, it doesn't require DVB-S2 or 8PSK. Look for PBS HD @ 125°W. It is MPEG2 4:2:0 HD and easily viewable with an HD receiver or fast enough PC DVB setup.

Not all channels on 97°W are blurry & low quality. It could be you are feeding composite out of an SD receiver into a large HDTV panel that is scaling it and making it look bad. Using a receiver with component out might help some, but mostly it is an artifact of trying to expand an SD signal 6X (stretched to 16:9 1920x1080) or 4.5X (non stretched 4:3 1440x1080). And that is based on a 720x480 SD signal and many are lower resolution. Also a traditional tube usually looks better with SD since it was built for that resolution, isn't scaling, and is usually 27" - 32" instead of 35" - 60".

If you look at the SD muxes on 97°W with a PC (with TSReader for example) and view them at their native resolution you'll be pleasantly surprised how decent some of them look.

The "CA" part of your card is likely to be mostly worthless. There is a recent thread about Irdeto CAM support on some receivers and that in theory a person could subscribe to something like Setanta Sports USA on 97°W and use the Irdeto card on any receiver that has a Irdeto CAM. Nobody has done it yet due to having to buy a Globecast receiver setup just to get the card and then maybe a year's service required as well. :(

Thanks Gillham. Yeah I was viewing the content via a single composite video cable. So, it wasn't really a fair to judge the picture quality yet. Since I'm going to use a DVB-S2 PC receiver to watch the channels, the picture will be as good as its going to get on my top of the line Samsung 55" TV with no analog conversion (that someone would get via component cables)... just straight through upconverted 480p to 1080p HDMI full digitial path. However, to me, I consider even old fashioned DVD's under the best circumstances not that good. I'm spoiled with bluray and ATSC HD broadcasts.

Having said that, is there anyway I can get this below channel via my CA reader and globalcast? If it's possible, which satellite? It would be nice if it could be done via the globalcast channels on the 97.0W bird.

Armenian Television | the official site

BTW, thanks so much for your response.

Oh, my understanding was the cards were interchangable, as how cableCARD are with cable TV leased boxes and PC based tuners. It looks like satellite is a whole different world.

Globecast will only authorize their receiver for subscription programs

The cards SHOULD BE interchangeable (except Nagravision, but even they could be BEFORE activation), but the program providers are being hostile for some reason.

Presuming that the card is interchangable; and, it's okay by the content provider. Could someone please be kind enough to help me find out what I need to do to get the below channel. They explain what I need to do to get it, but still doesnt help me since I'm still so new to this stuff. Maybe, I dont even need a card? I was just presuming I did. Would a regular DVB receiver even work? Here's the link below.

http://www.armtv.com/first/eng/?sub=receive

I am presuming that I need to get a card and receiver? Who do I call to get it? Would I get this card and receiver just for this one channel?

I already have a pretty decent access to pretty much all the transponders on the "Intelsat Americas" 5 AKA "Galaxy" 19 97.0W. using a regular FTA receiver (Viewsat). I'm planning on getting a PC-based DVB device with conditional access card reader.

I REALLY want to get this channel, that's why I'm asking. It would be a shame not to get it if I already have my dish pointed to the right satellite.

Thanks for you help!

Thanks for the link. After I get my receiver and card (provided the card is compatible with my card reader on my PC DVB device.. and the planets line up just right, pluggin the Nagravision protection card in the reader of my PC DVB until, what channel name or numner (4xxx) do I tune to on personal DVB device? Do I have to rescan again after plugging in the card?

Unless GlobeCast drops their Nagravision protection, you are not going to get this channel unless you contact GlobeCast and subscribe to their receiver/card combo.
Here's a link to order the service, GlobeCast WorldTV - How To Get WTV .

Can't answer that. My assumption is that you would scan the 97W satellite, and select the channel you want to watch. I don't know that they ship the equipement pre-configured. [Edit] I notice some systems on ebay, searching on Globecast, that are competitive in price. I don't know the rep of the ebay sellers, though.

Hahahaha.... I just saw the price on that channel:

Armenian Public Channel $ 22.95/month
SPECIAL.gif

I'm not sure who would pay that kind of a fee for a single low-definition TV channel. Geez. I was thinking maybe $2.99/month or something I would go for it. It's 10 times more than the value of the channel. The only way I would pay that much for a channel is if it was broadcasting 1080p 30mbs with irriplacable content.

I think that people don't publish many true FTA channel lists (S-2 or otherwise) because the providers are a moving target.

Pardon me for thinking that both Dish Network and Directv are pressuring providers to change their compression and encryption, and to switch satellites as well. These two mega corporations are apparently of the view that they can annoy the world into buying their service .

Neither wants true FTA to survive.

A good, current channel list probably has a lifespan of two weeks tops.

Yeah I've been considering getting a new fta rec. a GEOSATpro DSR100C from one of the sponsors which features a CAS access card slot for viaccess and Irdeto BUT after considerable research, inc. emails to sales reps. etc. I've concluded that you can NOT buy activated cards for no. america fta broadcasts!So while the above receiver may be a sound overall unit, the card slot is useless...

Last edited:
Is sad to see how FTA and those CI paid services are here in america (all america not just USA) compared with europe, in that side of the planet they have a lot of good channels over FTA and they even get their paid subscribed channels with a CI interface (except Sky and some other Nagra 3 providers)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)