UPDATED - New Dish Pricing Info!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you really don't have a need for that many simultaneous streams, then it seems you have more hardware than you need -- and you could save a lot of money getting rid of a box or two.

FWIW, I get the impression a lot of people have more DISH hardware than they really need.

You're confusing wants/desires with needs. I want to have Dish programming in at least three rooms and I want PIP in at least two of those. So a 722, a 722k and a 211 (for now) is what I want (have). And I dont want to string wires everywhere either. So wireless would be a big help and can minimize receivers, but not necessarily eliminate.

If someone like me wants that much equipment, then we can't complain when fees are added or increased that relates to the number of boxes in the house. Dump equipment, or reduced programming, like I will be doing, to let Dish know I don't appreciate the increases. Bye bye Fox Sports package and probably premium movie channels. Followed by a letter to Charlie that says "Raise my costs and I will keep cutting back."

We have seen price of phone service drop when VOIP came about (Voice Over IP - Internet). Its time for the same with television. This could drop prices on television service.

We have seen price of phone service drop when VOIP came about (Voice Over IP - Internet). Its time for the same with television. This could drop prices on television service.
Right. With locals and cable nets raising prices regularly, that's never going to happen.

You're confusing wants/desires with needs. I want to have Dish programming in at least three rooms and I want PIP in at least two of those. So a 722, a 722k and a 211 (for now) is what I want (have).
Maybe so, but a lot of people express their wants as needs so it is really all gray area. Heck, any pay television service in general is really a want and not a need.

You aren't the first person to bring up PIP, but honestly I've never understood the desire for it once I got a dual tuner DVR. If I want to watch both shows, then I'll watch one and record the other (or better yet record both and skip/avoid all commercials) and never even bother with PIP.

yes our complaints are at minimum bring this issue to attention at E.

found out years ago the forums are watched carefully by investors and the industry.

so someone at E has this wonderful BEANCOUNTER IDEA:( we can raise revenue while leaving programming alone, while simplyfing the fee structure.......

sounds wonderful doesnt it?

unless you happen to be one of a select group thats going to get hosed bad...........

actually we are doing E a favor:)

holding chucks feet to the fire, if he goes ahead with this bad idea he will look dumb to investors and get slammed at some level for increasing churn.

E could offer a say 50% discountfor high end subs............ for receiver fees

If Dish does implement this as discussed, selling Dish stock might be a good idea. This plan severely penalizes the high end users. Essentially nothing happens if you are a base subscriber with 1 box. If you are AEP++ with multiple DVRs you suddenly have to pay through the nose with huge increases.

I still think there is something we are not seeing. Top customers are worth 10 bottom customers in profits. If Dish penalizes top customers and rewards bottom customers, guess what happens. Something like you get credit for phone connected or something to appease the top customers, then the receiver fee for 722 goes from $7 to $9 net, not a big increase.

Anyone know what the current monthly fees are for a Comcast dual tuner DVR? I'll bet it's less than $17. We're being asked to pay $17 per box, plus a $6 per account fee!?

If Dish does implement this as discussed, selling Dish stock might be a good idea. This plan severely penalizes the high end users. Essentially nothing happens if you are a base subscriber with 1 box. If you are AEP++ with multiple DVRs you suddenly have to pay through the nose with huge increases.

I still think there is something we are not seeing. Top customers are worth 10 bottom customers in profits. If Dish penalizes top customers and rewards bottom customers, guess what happens. Something like you get credit for phone connected or something to appease the top customers, then the receiver fee for 722 goes from $7 to $9 net, not a big increase.

What I'd like to know is how does Dish qualify you as a high valued customer? Always get that greeting when i call into Dish. # of service years or the amount we pay each month? Regardless, Charlie's going to have less high valued customers come Feb. 1.

I have listened to that song every time I have ever called dish. I think got qualified when we made our first payment and it was on time.

So basically Dish is putting a $7 per tuner....plus 3 extra for DVR boxes (irrespective of No of tuners in the box).

As others have said.....charging a DVR fee of 6 per account then is extra fee...since DVR boxes r already having 3 extra per box.

Even though I have 625 & 311....my bill will be going up....but I plan to get rid of 311 once my contract expires in couple of month.

Then to get HD...I will do what others have to do in PR to get HD....cancel this account & get a new account.

For all you people laughing at me the last two days, I got a call from Dish Network right now from a 970 number. The gentleman was very polite and offered to grandfather me into my current "lease rate"(words he used) which are defined in the contract I signed till the end of my contract. He is issuing my account $18.01 credit each month starting Feb 1 till Aug 1 when my contract is over.

The way he came up with $8.01 he said was $7 credit for increase to my 222 receiver and $1.01 increase to the DVR service fee based on the fact I signed a contract for DVR Advantage which included the DVR service fee and based on the fact Dish is no longer issuing a $0.98 cent credit for customers who have DVR advantage and the DVR fee is increasing from $5.99 to $6 that would increase my bill by $1.01.

He said per the contract tho my dish programing fee will increase $1 per month.

Dish is also issuing me $10 per month credit starting now till the end of my current commitment for the inconvenience and headaches this "misunderstanding" has created. The only thing he wants in return from me is that I let the CA AG office know we resolved the dispute.

I agreed to the above as I got more than I originally asked for from customers service and I thought this resolution was more than fair considering I did not even ask for $10 a month credit from CS ever.

Think what you want, Does Dish have a legal lease agreement? Who knows but I am bet you Dish does not want to find out either which is why they not only were willing to resolve this issue but they did so super fast and are even willing to issue me an extra $10 per month credit just to drop the issue get the CA AG office to stop looking at the issue too.

So I highly recommend that everyone who is under contract call your local AG office and maybe Dish will back down at a min and allow customers who are under contract to continue with the current lease fee till your contract is over.

Last edited:
I signed up for Dish Network on 5/31/2009. Where can I find a copy of the contract that was in force at that time?

He is issuing my account $18.01 credit each month starting Feb 1 till Aug 1 when my contract is over.

Well done dolmar! Everyone who is leasing should contact their AG.

I guess that confirms the speculated Feb. 1st increases are correct.

Think what you want, Does Dish have a legal lease agreement? Who knows but I am bet you Dish does not want to find out either which is why they not only were willing to resolve this issue but they did so super fast and are even willing to issue me an extra $10 per month credit just to drop the issue get the CA AG office to stop looking at the issue too.

QUOTE]

Charlie loves to be involved in lawsuits -- just not with his customers...:)

So Scott is at CES:)

Scott have you talked to the E booth about this issue? How about copying our discussion and giving a copy to charlie?

Just when will more info be available?

And be certain to tell him his CEO address is ignoring our E MAILS:(

A happy customer tells at best just a few.

A MAD customer tends to tell a 100, or everyone who will listen:)

Anyone know what the current monthly fees are for a Comcast dual tuner DVR? I'll bet it's less than $17. We're being asked to pay $17 per box, plus a $6 per account fee!?

Last spring, (after 1st box) it was $15.00 for the box and another $6.00 outlet fee, TOTAL...$21.00. $6.00 DVR fee per account like Dish is about to do. First box was not free, rather discounted.

I called E billing, they have no info on the price change, said to call back after feb 1st.

waited on hold a long time to speak to a rep, had to listen to lots of annoying commercials.

the gal was nice, i feel bad for all the workers who will be getting calls from really pissed of customers.

I did tell her I WILL CANCEL after 13 years if this price increase goes thru

For all you people laughing at me the last two days, I got a call from Dish Network right now from a 970 number. The gentleman was very polite and offered to grandfather me into my current "lease rate"(words he used) which are defined in the contract I signed till the end of my contract. He is issuing my account $18.01 credit each month starting Feb 1 till Aug 1 when my contract is over.

The way he came up with $8.01 he said was $7 credit for increase to my 222 receiver and $1.01 increase to the DVR service fee based on the fact I signed a contract for DVR Advantage which included the DVR service fee and based on the fact Dish is no longer issuing a $0.98 cent credit for customers who have DVR advantage and the DVR fee is increasing from $5.99 to $6 that would increase my bill by $1.01.

He said per the contract tho my dish programing fee will increase $1 per month.

Dish is also issuing me $10 per month credit starting now till the end of my current commitment for the inconvenience and headaches this "misunderstanding" has created. The only thing he wants in return from me is that I let the CA AG office know we resolved the dispute.

I agreed to the above as I got more than I originally asked for from customers service and I thought this resolution was more than fair considering I did not even ask for $10 a month credit from CS ever.

So I highly recommend that everyone who is under contract call your local AG office and maybe Dish will back down at a min and allow customers who are under contract to continue with the current lease fee till your contract is over.

I am extremely pleased for your outcome. Good work, and thanks for letting us know. This does confirm my earlier post (in response to yours) that Dish may indeed enact these proposed restructured fees knowing full well that they may be in violation of some state laws. However, it also seems to confirm that Dish will go right ahead and charge the fees (excepting individuals fight not to be completely hosed, thereby appeasing some who otherwise would have gone to an AG ) for as long as they can get away with it taking in boatloads of $$$ until they reach a settlement with state AG's. In other words they will have collected more money than payment of penalties and token "freebies" to subs such as a few dollars discount per month and a few free PPV coupons because state AG's just want to crow they did something ASAP and not have to actually pursue the case in court for "full restitution."

Thanks again, and I was never one who laughed at you. However, Dish will come out ahead on this by the time AG's gather the facts and move on it. After all, AG's have to have this wrapped up by the next AG or Governor's election in their state.

Thanks again, and I was never one who laughed at you. However, Dish will come out ahead on this by the time AG's gather the facts and move on it. After all, AG's have to have this wrapped up by the next AG or Governor's election in their state.

Their is no way CA AG office conclude the whole investigation in 2 days. I have a felling someone from the CA AG office just called Dish to inquire about the rate increase and that was more than enough to get someone attention who ended up either talking to someone else or just called me to resolve the matter asap. Which even the so called "Executive Customer Service team" 2 days ago refused to even consider. The fact if I signed a lease agreement on equipment and agree to set price on that lease that maybe Dish had no right to change the lease term without either offering to let me out of my contract or letting me downgrade me to 211 for free without extending my contract.

When I called the gal I spoke to in the AG office to let her know I resolved the dispute she said she had a felling it would end this way anyways as person she talked too late last night pretty told her that Dish would look into the matter and attempt to resolve it asap and that Dish was not looking to violate the terms of any binding contract.

No matter if the gal at CA AG office or Dish believe their was a binding contract or not, I personally think Dish really did not want to open up a can of worms on the issue as it could ultimately end up costing them a lot more money than issuing me a credit of $8.01 between all the customers Dish has in CA.

So again if anyone is under contract, and still has the contract they sign when they signed up with dish and copies of all your bills also stating "DHA Receiver Lease" I highly recommend people call their local AG office. Like I said if Dish get calls from multiple AG office they might considering not raising the prices on receivers for people who are under contract till they fulfill their contract at which they are month to month and free to cancel with no ETF if they do not like the new receiver lease fee.

I will contact Dish first to see what they are going to do to help with getting credits. If I have to go as far as contacting AG then they are going to have to issue me more credits to make up for all of my time and hassle and aggervation involved or cancel my contract so I can switch providers because I am not paying these hefty price increases that they want for dual tuner receivers. Directv is cheaper by as much as $10 per box now unless I go with the 612 which would be $3 more if it is an additional.

This is why I was a little leery of a contract but never thought they would increase rates this much.

Status
Please reply by conversation.