Updating In house cabling

ActionClaw

Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Ohio USA
Over the years, as we changed from cable to satellite to newer systems etc. the house cabling "evolved" as I adapted it rather than starting over with the ideal setup. With the introduction of biplexers, signal back feeds etc. the (three+ room) cable setup already in place became convoluted with multiple splitters, extra components and unnecessary cabling resulting in substandard signal quality. I'd like to simplify it, regardless, but hopefully to result in higher quality signals.However, I am still a little uncertain about a few issues. I could experiment, disconnect and reconnect everything but I'll bet some of you know the answers off the top of your head saving me a great deal of time ...which I'd appreciate!

As is, remote TV1 location(s) is fed directly from TV1 coax out and remote TV2 location(s) fed directly from TV2 coax out. Is it correct that, with proper use of biplers/triplexers, I could accomplish the same using just one cable routed throughout the house to bring in the satellite signal and feed both TV1 and TV2?

Though the back of the receiver has only TV 2 labelled for "Home distribution" it seems that both TV1 and TV2 are available (I have Modulator setup 44-TV1, 60-TV2) on the coax cable fed from TV1 as well?
So, instead of certain televisions/rooms being designated TV1 or TV2 (with the correct settings, using not monitors but televisions with tuners) "Home distribution" will allow any television to receive material from TV1 or TV2 regardless of whether its connected to TV1 or TV2 (coax)?
Is this correct?
Should the signal quality be the same via either?

Thanks

It really depends on several factors.

If your pulling new wire then it's always good to have at least 2 coax cables and maybe an eithernet cable or 2 to each location.

If you don't plan on rewiring, then make do with what you got in place already.

The other thing to consider with HD Being the standard, running analog signals over coax is the worst thing toy can do.

In an ideal scenario, you may want to consider going to a receiver for each Tv or look into that kangaroo system with the joeys in each room

If it was my money I would run 1" conduit from all locations where you want cables to one meetme spot in the house. Yes it is overkill today but in 15 years what will we be using and you can re pull cables anytime with some mule tape.

I'm sure these are all good suggestions, better solutions that will yield better results and (especially the 1" conduit) something to keep in mind for future projects but also more than I'm looking for at this point. I'm not seeking the "ideal solution", interested in rewiring from scratch or purchasing additional equipment. I merely wanted to simplify the existing cabling, remove extraneous components and use it the proper way one can when utilizing biplexers.

Because, as is, we have a decent signal for both TV1 & TV2 available at all remote locations, I'm now thinking it may be better to just "let sleeping dogs lie".

The worst picture is received on TV2 in the main room at the receiver! I have that television set up to be used either via coax or composite but the latter requires additional equipment be powered up which isn't always necessary or convenient, for example, at certain times of the day(night).

I'd read that DISH receivers put out a very high signal level at TV2 coax output (I am interested to know if it's the same as or higher than the signal level at TV1 coax output?), thought that may be the issue, installed an attenuator which made it even worse. I swapped a combiner with a different one and seemed to get considerable improvement. Maybe that one bad part was the biggest problem.

Thanks