Upgrade Advice needed from DVR 522

Blackneto

Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I just bought a new monitor for my home offce that is HD capable (1080i)
While it is primarily for work, I don't work all the time.
Currently I have 2 TV's sharing a DVR 522 and would like to get HD channels.
Currently I have the monitor plugged in with via the composite connnection and the picture is pretty good. but I would like to beable to view whatever comes across in HD on this TV.
My other TV is not HD capable but I won't be replacing it anytime soon unless it dies.

My questions are:
I know I will need a new reciever, but will I need a new Dish?
I don't plan on subsribing to any Special HD packages, will I be forced to?
Which DVR should I be looking at.

Thank you.

My questions are:
I know I will need a new reciever, but will I need a new Dish?
I don't plan on subsribing to any Special HD packages, will I be forced to?
Which DVR should I be looking at.

You should be able to basically replicate your current functionality, but add HD, with a 622 or 722. I have the 722, upgraded about 6 months ago from a 522, and love it. The interface and all are virtually identical. Plus, it downconverts programs for TV2, so even if something is recorded in HD, I can watch it on my SD TV. The HD picture is really, really good out of TV1.

What do you mean by "special" packages? I pay $10 extra a month for HD -- that includes my HD locals and HD versions of the SD channels I'd get anyway. While the packages have shifted a bit since I upgraded, that's basically the going price.

Yes, you may need a new Dish (I did) but that'll be included in the upgrade/install price. I don't think there are any free upgrades to HD, even with add-on commitments or anything like that. There certainly were not when I upgraded!

Good luck, and enjoy.

thank you.

I'm really not good at AV stuff and just wanted to make sure I could just get an HD capable DVR and continue on.

by special packages I meant that I have America top 200 plus local channels. and I didn't really feel like changing to any other package, just be able to view what comes in HD in HD.

thanks again.

thank you.

I'm really not good at AV stuff and just wanted to make sure I could just get an HD capable DVR and continue on.

by special packages I meant that I have America top 200 plus local channels. and I didn't really feel like changing to any other package, just be able to view what comes in HD in HD.

thanks again.

You'll pay $7 a month extra if you have a HD receiver and don't subscribe to any HD package. The cheapest HD addon is $10 a month.

You seem to be asking if you'll get HD just by upgrading your receiver to a HD capable model - the answer is no. You also need to add a HD programming package of some sort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)