Upgrade from 722K to Wally?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Currently, the best way to use a Hopper 3 with a Winegard Travler is to use DISH’s new DPH42 switch. But the real question is why is the DVR service fee for the Hopper Duo $10 a month and the DVR service fee for the ViP722k is $15?
It is Dish's way of encouraging existing subscribers to switch to the Hopper Duo. It also provides a lower-priced alternative to help attract new subscribers.

If you ask me it encourages existing subscribers to look for alternatives, like the Wally that only has a one-time DVR fee.
And how would that encourage more than just having the choice between a H3 and a Wally? Just the opposite.

If you ask me it encourages existing subscribers to look for alternatives, like the Wally that only has a one-time DVR fee.
That is a fine choice as long as you don't mind losing access to all of your existing recordings from your old DVR. It is also what I would recommend to a new subscriber just starting with Dish. As far as Dish's advertising to new subscribers, they usually don't mention the Wally. The ads I have seen all push the "Smart DVR" (Hopper Duo) with a promotional DVR fee of $5 per month for two years.

That is a fine choice as long as you don't mind losing access to all of your existing recordings from your old DVR. It is also what I would recommend to a new subscriber just starting with Dish. As far as Dish's advertising to new subscribers, they usually don't mention the Wally. The ads I have seen all push the "Smart DVR" (Hopper Duo) with a promotional DVR fee of $5 per month for two years.

With the new 'non DVR fee' the monthly cost is the same for new customers whether they get a Duo or a Wally.

I am well aware of that. I was asking about the new monthly fee that JSheridan mentioned for new subscribers.
As simply a guess, yes the fee would still apply I don't think DISH views a 211K or Wally with EHD as a DVR. If they did you would be paying a DVR fee.

Reactions: JSheridan
No DVR fee for a 211K or Wally with EHD
That is correct for existing subscribers, but Dish recently changed their policy and added a monthly fee to those receivers for new subscribers. There was a thread about it when the change was first announced, but I don't think it was ever clarified in that thread whether the first receiver (non-DVR) fee still applies to new subscribers who turn those models into a DVR.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Not a problem, I figure it will all sort it self out when the time comes and that should be a long time since I mostly just drive the ViP722k around and rarely turn it on. That's why I pay-as-I-go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)