Upgrade from 722K to Wally?

Currently, the best way to use a Hopper 3 with a Winegard Travler is to use DISH’s new DPH42 switch. But the real question is why is the DVR service fee for the Hopper Duo $10 a month and the DVR service fee for the ViP722k is $15?
It is Dish's way of encouraging existing subscribers to switch to the Hopper Duo. It also provides a lower-priced alternative to help attract new subscribers.

If you ask me it encourages existing subscribers to look for alternatives, like the Wally that only has a one-time DVR fee.
And how would that encourage more than just having the choice between a H3 and a Wally? Just the opposite.

If you ask me it encourages existing subscribers to look for alternatives, like the Wally that only has a one-time DVR fee.
That is a fine choice as long as you don't mind losing access to all of your existing recordings from your old DVR. It is also what I would recommend to a new subscriber just starting with Dish. As far as Dish's advertising to new subscribers, they usually don't mention the Wally. The ads I have seen all push the "Smart DVR" (Hopper Duo) with a promotional DVR fee of $5 per month for two years.

That is a fine choice as long as you don't mind losing access to all of your existing recordings from your old DVR. It is also what I would recommend to a new subscriber just starting with Dish. As far as Dish's advertising to new subscribers, they usually don't mention the Wally. The ads I have seen all push the "Smart DVR" (Hopper Duo) with a promotional DVR fee of $5 per month for two years.

With the new 'non DVR fee' the monthly cost is the same for new customers whether they get a Duo or a Wally.

I am well aware of that. I was asking about the new monthly fee that JSheridan mentioned for new subscribers.
As simply a guess, yes the fee would still apply I don't think DISH views a 211K or Wally with EHD as a DVR. If they did you would be paying a DVR fee.

Reactions: JSheridan
No DVR fee for a 211K or Wally with EHD
That is correct for existing subscribers, but Dish recently changed their policy and added a monthly fee to those receivers for new subscribers. There was a thread about it when the change was first announced, but I don't think it was ever clarified in that thread whether the first receiver (non-DVR) fee still applies to new subscribers who turn those models into a DVR.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Not a problem, I figure it will all sort it self out when the time comes and that should be a long time since I mostly just drive the ViP722k around and rarely turn it on. That's why I pay-as-I-go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)