Upgrade from DVR 722 to what? Help..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

janko

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Chicago,Illinois
I have DVR vip722 since I started with dish and never had problems with it. I'm trying to upgrade all my gear including TV (4k samsung js9000). I'm I going to see any improvements in picture quality when I change to a newer box from dish? Is there any other things like coax cable I should change to improve the picture? I wanna have the best possible picture out of my satellite box. Now I'm lost in those new receiver boxes, there are so many. All I need is similar functionality like my old 722, but looking for picture improvement. Help pls..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, Janko. There isn't any picture difference between the 722 and the Hopper, which would be a direct upgrade to the 722. The only difference would be the 4K Joey, but we don't have any specific details on when that will be available.

Ok. I guess I will have to wait for 4k Joey. Thank you

Put your money in some type of investment account, you'll probably be waiting a year or more for the release of a 4K receiver and programming to watch on it. Prices and quality may improve as time passes.

Go with a Hopper with sling no. You won't be disappointed.Bigger HD. Faster processor.Depending on how you set it up, you can record 7 different programs at one time with the ota module. It's light years ahead of the 722. You can always add the 4K joey later.

There isn't any picture difference between the 722 and the Hopper
Why do you say that, because they're both 720p/1080i max ? Most people think they can see a difference going from the VIP series to the Hopper. In fact, many claim they see a difference in PQ between the Hopper and the Hopper with Sling.

Yes, must disagree with Tommy. Chip sets in Hopper have improved the PQ over the 722. First thing I noticed when I got one.

Reactions: navychop
Yes, must disagree with Tommy. Chip sets in Hopper have improved the PQ over the 722. First thing I noticed when I got one.
That's what I thought, just wasn't sure and needed to confirm from someone. Anyway I think my best option will be to wait for that 4k Joey. Any idea when it will be available? And what's the price difference between 722 and Hopper? Is it better rent from dish or buy my own??

I always say lease, as it tends to be cheaper, since it costs the same monthly anyways. And the DVR service fee is $12, compared to $7, and it is $7 for each Joey, and $11 for the second hopper and on. Super Joey is $10 per month, and gives you 2 extra tuners, but can only be used on a single hopper solution.

That's what I thought, just wasn't sure and needed to confirm from someone. Anyway I think my best option will be to wait for that 4k Joey. Any idea when it will be available? And what's the price difference between 722 and Hopper? Is it better rent from dish or buy my own??

Don't ask when the 4K joey will be available, instead ask when some programming to watch on it will be available? DISH will determine what your upgrade cost will be, probably free. If you are going from just a 722 to a Hopper and a Joey your monthly should be about $11.00/mo.

I think waiting is a mistake. Get the better dvr now with better features. Add the 4K Joey when it becomes available. Who know when that will be. Until it is actually released it is nothing more than Vaporware!

You can't get just a 4K Joey. You have to have a Hopper along with it. Downside is, if you get a Hopper (and Joey) today, a 4K Joey will likely cost you $ out of pocket when it becomes available, presuming this is within a year or so. If you wake until it's available, maybe, and I repeat, maybe you can get the Hopper and 4K Joey for free (with a 2-year contract).

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Why do you say that, because they're both 720p/1080i max ? Most people think they can see a difference going from the VIP series to the Hopper. In fact, many claim they see a difference in PQ between the Hopper and the Hopper with Sling.

I provided him with this answer. There is not going to be a change in the PQ when switching from a 722 to a Hopper. As you said, they both max out at 720p/1080i and 1080p on select VOD. There are many customers that state they see a change when switching and this very well may be the case, but there is nothing in the Hopper that will drastically improve the PQ from a VIP receiver.

As you said, they both max out at 720p/1080i and 1080p on select VOD
I presumed that was the reasoning behind the answer - they're both "HD" receivers.

but there is nothing in the Hopper that will drastically improve the PQ from a VIP receiver.
They do have different chipsets, do they not ? That can certainly impact the picture quality. I personally think I saw a difference from a 722k to the Hopper. Going from a Hopper to the Hopper w/Sling I can't say I saw any change.

You can't get just a 4K Joey. You have to have a Hopper along with it. Downside is, if you get a Hopper (and Joey) today, a 4K Joey will likely cost you $ out of pocket when it becomes available, presuming this is within a year or so. If you wake until it's available, maybe, and I repeat, maybe you can get the Hopper and 4K Joey for free (with a 2-year contract).

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
So you are saying that I need Hopper anyway? Are there more options onHopper for me? As I said I need dual HD runner and DVR so I can record at least 2 shows at the same time. Sorry for probably funny questions but I really lost track of those new receivers...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)