Upgrade question

G Luis

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Down the road a piece
A couple of questions regarding an upgrade. I currently have a 522 with a 500+ dish

I'm thinking of taking the leap to HD from my 522 to a vip722 and continue to get the locals.

1) After reading various horror stories of ordering the upgrade through customer service I was wondering if it would be better to "order" through technical service. I have seen some posts that would indicate this may be a better route to go. Summer vacation days are precious and I don't want to waste them waiting on the Dish install because customer service screwed up the order and they forgot to bring a 1000 dish. Opinions on customer serv. vs. technical when ordering?

b) Is there anything on the near horizon that would make it beneficial for me to wait a month or two? I understand technology is always changing but if there is something a few months out I may just hold off.

iii) I lease my 522 so I assume the installer will take it with him after the new install?

I was thinking that this would be a good time to "jump ship" to D* or cable but looking into those I guess I'll just stay put. I'm spoiled on the DVR features plus I've been a Dishy since my 5000 self-install daze. The only thing that would make me reconsider would be Fios, but I don't see that coming to the area anytime soon.

Thanks in advance.

A couple of questions regarding an upgrade. I currently have a 522 with a 500+ dish

I'm thinking of taking the leap to HD from my 522 to a vip722 and continue to get the locals.

1) After reading various horror stories of ordering the upgrade through customer service I was wondering if it would be better to "order" through technical service. I have seen some posts that would indicate this may be a better route to go. Summer vacation days are precious and I don't want to waste them waiting on the Dish install because customer service screwed up the order and they forgot to bring a 1000 dish. Opinions on customer serv. vs. technical when ordering?

b) Is there anything on the near horizon that would make it beneficial for me to wait a month or two? I understand technology is always changing but if there is something a few months out I may just hold off.

iii) I lease my 522 so I assume the installer will take it with him after the new install?

I was thinking that this would be a good time to "jump ship" to D* or cable but looking into those I guess I'll just stay put. I'm spoiled on the DVR features plus I've been a Dishy since my 5000 self-install daze. The only thing that would make me reconsider would be Fios, but I don't see that coming to the area anytime soon.

Thanks in advance.
The Dish It Up offer is pretty cut and dry, $125 with installation which you would need to upgrade your dish for HD. I would just go ahead and call. As for anything on the Horizon, there is a new dual DVR with Slingbox technology in the works. But it won't be available for a year. By that time you may be able to DIU again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)