upgrade sd to hd recievers, free?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MrShides

Original poster
May 25, 2010
Chicago
I first want to apologize, I've been coming to these forums off and on for about 3 years, maybe once or twice every 3-4 months. I tried looking for old posts and using the search feature,as I'm sure this has been asked or is buried in other threads somewhere.

I have been a directv subscriber since november of 08, so I have not yet completed my 2 year contract. When I first ordered, I had 1 HD tv, and the other 3 where SD. I have (i think) an HR-22 for my HD TV in the living room, and I had ordered a second DVR for the Bedroom, which I believe to be an R-22 which does in fact have HDMI out on it, but I'm sure you guys already know this. My 2 sons both have the standard old SD recievers in thier rooms.

I just bought a HD tv for my older son for his birthday, and I'd like to upgrade him to an HD reciever. I called into directv, and they stated it would be 129.00 for the HD reciever for my son. I'd give him my reciever from the master bedroom, but I plan for us to have an HD tv by february, and we use the DVR like mad.

Is there a better route to go? I really like directv, but I am ready to switch (back to) Dish Network if that is what I need to do to get a deal come November.

Thanks for reading my post.

How many times have you called? You may get luckier with another CSR.
Ask to talk to a supervisor.

I suspect that the best you can do is get non-DVR HD receiver for $99.

Unfortunately you have to haggle with them. My contract ends next month. I told them I was going to switch to Dish so I could get HD. At that point they agreed to give me my receivers for free. Just had to pay the S&H.

Thank you for responding.

That is what I'm trying to avoid. I originally had Dish Network, and when I called them to get hd on my living room tv they told me it was going to cost like $250. I decided that I'd rather have comcast then pay that much, so I started pricing everything out, and decided to look at DirecTV.

I felt that the promotion was good at the time, and I've been relativly happy (I need to relocate the swm or something, when it gets below zero, I think it freezes). I called DishNetwork to cancel right after my DirecTV was installed, and they suddenly wanted to give me everything and the world for free. I really like the DVR's for DirecTV, and the channel lineup is sorted pretty good, and I'm not that adverse to the pricing (although I do think its a little high, but I'm not complaining).

I'm considering just calling them in november to cancel and if I don't get anywhere then I will just switch to comcast short term (I already have a cable modem) and then schedule a DishNetwork install.

I really had to scrape by to get the HD set for my son, and shelling out another 130 bucks is just going to be a little difficult right now.

In the last month I finally upgraded the receiver in one of my rooms from an SD to an HD receiver and I got it for less than $15. Was able to haggle with a CSR and got it for less than it would cost to ship it. It never hurts to ask if that is your best offer.

You typically get the best deals when your out of commitment or getting very close and keep in mind if you go back to Dish their monthly receiver fee's are very high....a lot higher then DirecTV and what you were paying back when you had Dish.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)