Using Existing Equipment with Whole Home DVR Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vankac

Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Minnesota
I'm just curious if my existing HD DVRs would work with the new Whole Home DVR Service. The D* CSR said I would need new equipment and would need to update my currently installed SWM technology. I just had everything installed approximately 1 year ago so I'm not really interested in paying $198 for 2 new receivers and $49 to upgrade the installation. I just thought, if my current configuration worked, I would add the service.

I have an HR23-700 and a R22-200 (w/updated firmware so it gets HD). Is this more than just a firmware update on the HD receivers? Do you actually need the latest and greatest HD/DVR equipment.

Thanks,

Curtis

I tried another CSR and they tried to add the Whole Home DVR Service to my account with my existing equipment but the system wouldn't let them. They said it was likely because of my R22-200.

You still need the upgrade unless you have connected your receivers to your home network and want to use the service "unsupported." The R22 doesn't technically count because it's not an HD receiver, even though it is HD if you have another HD receiver on the account. The HR23 will work.

Order the upgrade, they will install Deca adapters on your boxes and it will work fine. Make sure you ask for the internet connection kit so you can download on demand content.

I was wondering about the internet connection. My HR23-700 has a hard-wired internet connection. The R22-200 would need to have a wireless connection added. If I remember right, you can order a Cisco ethernet WAP for around $99. It sounds like I'd still need to pay $49 for the "upgrade" installation where they would install the Deca adapters. Thanks.

I ran into the same problem, vankac. I have the HR23 and the R22, both wired through ethernet. The beta worked GREAT, but now that it's out of beta, it magically won't work. You'd think there would be a war around this for people who beta tested for them.

The "supported" version is available thru DECA (sat line) only. It does require a dish/multiswitch upgrade if needed. Although the beta was tested thru Ethernet. If you have ethernet and want to continue to use it (unsupported) you can get them to enable it on your account. You may have to play CSR roulette until you find a CSR that knows what going on, but they can enable it and it will work, AND it will cost $3 a month and it will be unsupported if you have issues - but....

It can be done. call them.

I was wondering about the internet connection. My HR23-700 has a hard-wired internet connection. The R22-200 would need to have a wireless connection added. If I remember right, you can order a Cisco ethernet WAP for around $99. It sounds like I'd still need to pay $49 for the "upgrade" installation where they would install the Deca adapters. Thanks.

If you go with Deca, all receivers share a single internet connection. A broadband deca (or deca with a power supply) connects to your router and the internet is shared by all your receivers. That would be cheaper than buying a wireless access point.

If you go with Deca, all receivers share a single internet connection. A broadband deca (or deca with a power supply) connects to your router and the internet is shared by all your receivers. That would be cheaper than buying a wireless access point.
I had mine installed two weeks ago just as Wildbill describes. I had my HR20 hardwired to my internet switch. ALL the other receivers use that connection. I was able to keep the HR20 (even though I didn't want to) and my H21. Had to replace an H20 and both D11s (even though they cannot "see"' my DVR.):cool:

After doing some research, I'm trying to determine if I need 2 or 3 DECA devices? I'm hoping I only need 1 for my HR23 and 1 for my R22. My R22 is currently not on my home network but my HR23 is. The HR23 has 2 ethernet ports on the back, I believe the 2nd is just a pass through. Can I connect the DECA device to port 1 and then my ethernet hub to port 2 and get this to work or do I need to add a 3rd DECA device to my network that's then connected to my network hub? All the diagrams I've seen show the latter configuration with an external power supply to the 3rd DECA device. If the 2nd port on the back of the HR23 makes it a "mini" hub, the 3rd DECA device would seem unnecessary.

Hey guys, I have the same setup as you.

Tell the CSR to remove the R22 from your account, add the MRV, then re-add the R22. This is what they had to do to get mine going.

Anytime you change your package, it will remove MRV so be ready to call them.

Similar question but different scenario....I have Dish and Direct...Dish is my primary throughout my house...Direct is only in 1 room as Dish is using all my current home wiring...my question to someone who has this system set up is if I replace the 1 single HR20 I have now with the new Whole Home DVR HD-DVR do the other HD Boxes in other rooms have to be wired into the cable outlets in the house or do each of them run wirelessly off of the main unit? Thanks!

Hey guys, I have the same setup as you.

Tell the CSR to remove the R22 from your account, add the MRV, then re-add the R22. This is what they had to do to get mine going.

Anytime you change your package, it will remove MRV so be ready to call them.

Are you using DECA or straight wired/wireless ethernet connections? It sounded like broncoman was not able to get it to work with that configuration.

Sorry Vankac, I misread and thought you and broncoman had the same setup.

I do in fact have wired ethernet connecting my 2 DVRs. You either need to connect the DVRs with ethernet or have them install the special adapters to make it work.

And that second port on the back of the recievers is in fact a passthru. I think it acts link a dumb hub (not a switch) but I'm not 100% on that. I have my xbox plugged into my reciever.

Similar question but different scenario....I have Dish and Direct...Dish is my primary throughout my house...Direct is only in 1 room as Dish is using all my current home wiring...my question to someone who has this system set up is if I replace the 1 single HR20 I have now with the new Whole Home DVR HD-DVR do the other HD Boxes in other rooms have to be wired into the cable outlets in the house or do each of them run wirelessly off of the main unit? Thanks!

It would still need to be wired in for the satellite signal, or when you turned on the box it would just say "searching for satellite" and wont let you do anything but run the setup or whatever.

The supported whole home DVR service uses the coax satellite wire (i think) with some kind of adapter for the connection. It does nothing wirelessly without an ethernet to wireless adapter or something like that, but you still need to have the coax connected for the sat signal, and again this sort of thing isn't "supported"

After doing some research, I'm trying to determine if I need 2 or 3 DECA devices? I'm hoping I only need 1 for my HR23 and 1 for my R22. My R22 is currently not on my home network but my HR23 is. The HR23 has 2 ethernet ports on the back, I believe the 2nd is just a pass through. Can I connect the DECA device to port 1 and then my ethernet hub to port 2 and get this to work or do I need to add a 3rd DECA device to my network that's then connected to my network hub? All the diagrams I've seen show the latter configuration with an external power supply to the 3rd DECA device. If the 2nd port on the back of the HR23 makes it a "mini" hub, the 3rd DECA device would seem unnecessary.

Sorry, re-posting this question because I think it got lost in the thread.

Curtis

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)