Upgrade StarBand 360 To Nova Pro

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

His Self

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
I have StarBand 360 and I've been trying to get some straight answers from StarBand regarding the Nova Pro since December. So far getting responses from them is an exercise in futility. I've sent in 4 requests for info through my StarBand email. I received 3 automated replies saying an inquiry was received and only one answer which seems like the epitomal stock reply and answered none of my questions. See the reply pasted below. My zip code is 37642 ( N.E. Tennessee)

Modem Cluster : 50
Modem Subcluster : 7

My StarBand 360 was purchased new and installed in May 2005 by a certified StarBand Rep. , who is now nowhere to be found.
With no landline phone, calling StarBand on my cell phone and going through the menus, hold, wait, getting handed off to another person, waiting some more and getting disconnected is getting to be more than I can bear... Anybody have some helpful suggestions which will enlighten me as to what needs to be done. The info "you would have to have your dish polarization changed to be able to get the Nova" does not really help, since I do not know what that entails. Anybody have a link for a site with an explanation of the process for "changing the dish polarization" ? Having paid an authorized rep $1500. less than 2 years ago, who is now long gone, I hate to shell out money for somebody to travel long distance and pay again, if it is something I can do myself..

Mind you, for the most part I like my StarBand 360. Usually it has good speeds and is preferable to the horrible landline base I used to have. However I have several computers and whenever I connect one to the modem which has not been used in the last few days, I go through an ordeal in getting it to connect. Also I would like XP x64 bit support and I know I will be getting computers in for repair which have Vista on them...so Vista support will be needed down the road. I would like to remain a StarBand customer , however it would be nice to feel like StarBand cared about it's customers enough to provide straight answers..
Thanks..

-----------------------------------------------------------

Only non-automated reply from StarBand:
----
We are currently working on an upgrade plan but it will be starting with those that need no changes to their dish.

You would have to have your dish polarization changed to be able to get the Nova.

So, the only current path for you is to purchase the system and have an installer come out to redo your dish.

I have no eta for the people on your cluster.

Ron Beck

Cluster 50 is horizontal polarity and for the nova service which is only available on cluster 80 the polarity is vertical. Flipping the polarity is very easy and we supply a user guide with pictures on how to do it for all our customers that upgrade. We even help you with calling in to CVACS so that we can check antenna alignment and make sure you are in spec and not subject to problems in the future.

Basically you have to rotate the LNB around the feed horn 90 degrees.

Contact us and we can help.

Cool... that sounds very do-able......

So the answer from Ron Beck in reply to my inquiry to StarBand Customer Service was either inaccurate or blowing me off... Is there any kind of incentive program for existing StarBand 360 customers to upgrade ? Is the Nova Pro modem priced at $199. , or are there hidden fees which have not been made public ?

My StarBand 360 modem is less than 2 yrs old, if StarBand isn't taking them back as trade-ins for a discount on the Nova pro modem, is there any resell value on them elsewhere ?

Can you email me with details on what I need to do to purchase a Nova pro from your N.C. location and how much the tech service would cost me for phone support in setting it up /

hisself@gmail.com

Note that regardless of what billing will tell you when you go to close your account, if you purchased your 360 new from a dealer or direct from starband between March of 2004 and August of 2006 then they are holding a $100 deposit on your modem. look at your contract if you still have it laying around. Be insistent with them even if they say "sorry but we are no longer buying back 360 modems" that is bull. Stand by your conviction and remind them that all new modems sold during that period have a $100 deposit that was to be returned when the account was canceled.

Unfortunately there really is no value to the older modems unless it is to someone looking to replace a defective one on an existing account.

Not sure where you see the new Nova modems for $199.99? They are $299.99 new for a complete system with a new TX and RX and dish....even if you do not install the new dish,TX or LNB it comes with it all by default. the nova will work fine with the old dish and electronics and you can keep the rest as spares or for troubleshooting if you have issues down the line.

Any decent large volume dealer will not charge anything for support or help getting any system self installed or for help with upgrading and they should continue to support you and return calls as long as you are a customer.

I will e-mail you details if you are interested in buying from us. Even if you don't, make sure you buy from someone that will support you long term.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts