Upgrade to 722 or 922?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Disadvantage...an extra $7.00 per month (with obligatory Joey).
A Hopper w/ Joey is $11 more than a 722/722K. The Hopper alone is $4 extra.

I'll upgrade to the 722. And though I still don't know whether the OTA module for the K model costs extra or not, it matters little because I can put my antenna connection directly to the TV and would only lose the ability to record off of antenna (no big deal as the limited channels I can get also come via Dish).

It was that configuration that finally convinced me it was the 622 failing. Those momentary 'black screens' occured whether I was watching locals via Dish or from the antenna through the 622. But hooked up directly to the TV, they didn't happen. This had been going on for months and since it was ONLY the locals affected, I assumed it was some common link from them to Colorado. Sometimes we lose ALL the locals at the same time (yellow screen) so I assumed there was a common connection somewhere in the chain.

Phil

The dual tuner ota module for the 722K is an extra $50. The 722 has a single ota tuner built-in.

If you have a separate account for the RV receiver, you're fine. If not, it's the part that Dish services are being used in two locations (off your property) at the same time off one account where the problem is, taking the receiver with you is fine. I'm not making any moral judgement, that's about a strong a policy as Dish has, it's called account stacking, even if your own family is using both.
In fact the actual rule is you must have all receivers in the same place....

" If you wish to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location, unless otherwise specifically authorized by DISH Network. You may not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residential location and connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or broadband home network. If we later determine that you did, wemay disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between theamounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver onyour account."

A camper is a residence, temporary as it might be. I have always thought if no one is home, and you take one receiver to a vacation home or in a camper you are meeting the meaning behind the rule. I doubt Dish would be inclined to make a deal out of it as long as no one is home to use the equipment. But that is not what the agreement says.

Last edited:
If it were my choice, the 722k and get the ota module. But I do record alot from local networks. If the Hopper had ota or PTAT did more than the Big4, I would then take the Hopper.
This is the way to go if you record a lot of shows ( I have the 722 ). Every night I record at least two shows on the major 4 ( CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC ) networks at the same time. Sometimes 3 shows at the same time. Having a OTA tuner is a terrific advantage for me ( Locals here in Phoenix include PBS, CW both in HD OTA ). It allows the other 2 sat tuners to be available for USA,TNT,SiFi, TBS, AMC, FX, Movie Channels etc. If you don't record a lot then it's no big deal. I have been told on this sight, by many, that the 922 is a DVR with a lot of problems.

Mochuf said:
A Hopper w/ Joey is $11 more than a 722/722K. The Hopper alone is $4 extra.

The dual tuner ota module for the 722K is an extra $50. The 722 has a single ota tuner built-in.

There was a time, not long ago, that it was possible to get the OTA module for the 722K at no charge. All that was necessary was to mention that you used OTA on your current receiver. At least that is what was posted in the sat guys forum.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

If you wish to be precisely "legal" you can have one Hopper & no Joey at home, with one owned ViP211 series STB (just over $100), all on the same account.. Then you can take the ViP211 series STB with you when you go [strike]camping[/strike] tailgating. Some people tailgate for weeks or even months on end. ;)

And it doesn't matter what kind of antenna you use while "tailgating." The Tailgater antenna can be real handy on the road, but you're getting into some serious cash for one, IMHO, and it only works with WA.

A camper is a residence, temporary as it might be. I have always thought if no one is home, and you take one receiver to a vacation home or in a camper you are meeting the meaning behind the rule. I doubt Dish would be inclined to make a deal out of it as long as no one is home to use the equipment. But that is not what the agreement says.

We COULD go back to the old days, I guess, where we just took our home receiver in the RV. With our first DVR we often didn't even set the dish up, just watched a few recordings... after all, we were "camping"! I'd save $120 a year!

I'll give it some thought.

Phil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)