Upgrade to 922?

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
Is there a good reason to upgrade to a 922 from my 722? What are the advantages / disadvantages? I plan on buying one, not upgrading and getting into a new contract.

If you don't use Sling and aren't too happy with paying an extra $4 a month for a pretty user guide, no.... ;)

Not so much about the $4. More about the newer UI and features. I heard horror stories about the stability on the 922. A Hopper is not so much a thing I need. The newer UI is what interests me the most.

The 922 is awesome. No issues with mine since July 2011.

If you are buying, it's probably a better option than a Hopper because the Hopper requires a different/new install no? The 922 should just plug in to your existing 722 install. Any problems in the software have been well dealt with by now. People will try to talk you into a 722 because $4 extra a month seems totalitarian. But the guide (especially if you have a properly distanced HD screen) and the speed of the receiver make it worth it. I also use the sling everyday, if you have an ipad or android tablet it really gives you another TV anywhere you want.

There are a lot of horror stories about the 922 but I had one for 2 years and never had many issues. At the time it was my favorite receiver, now the Hopper is by far the best. The only reason I would say you should bypass the 922 and go to the Hopper/Joey is because it would cost you an extra $7 for the Joey.

I had a horror story with 6 922s replaced for hard drive and power failures. Never had issues with 722s prior or hopper after. That being said, when it worked I really liked the 922 but the hopper is far superior in all aspects in my opinion and much more stable in my experience.

The 922 is obsolete in my opinion. It never lived up to the "promises" made at CES , nor the other promises that were made by DISH and others. Go with the Hopper and you will be future proofed, for the next couple of years anyway. But that being said , make sure you ask for the Hopper with SLING if you really want the latest thing.

I like a little different setup than many people. I have a 722 in my living room running in single mode just for the purpose to have all tuners available on just one TV. Meaning that i can record a bunch if stuff without a TV2 interfering. I also have a 622 in my son's room set up the same way. No other TV in my house. That's why I leased the 622 back in the day and bought the 722. DISH wouldn't have let me leased it that way.
I just wanted a dual tuners DVR with additional OTA tuner for one TV only. That's why I was thinking about a 922. But perhaps the 722k would even be better, because I could have two OTA tuners. But I don't know if it has a UI like the 922. Does the 922 do OTA?

I like a little different setup than many people. I have a 722 in my living room running in single mode just for the purpose to have all tuners available on just one TV. Meaning that i can record a bunch if stuff without a TV2 interfering. I also have a 622 in my son's room set up the same way. No other TV in my house. That's why I leased the 622 back in the day and bought the 722. DISH wouldn't have let me leased it that way.
I just wanted a dual tuners DVR with additional OTA tuner for one TV only. That's why I was thinking about a 922. But perhaps the 722k would even be better, because I could have two OTA tuners. But I don't know if it has a UI like the 922. Does the 922 do OTA?

922 uses the mt2 ota dual tuner module and it sells for $50. The 722k uses the mt2 but the 722 with built in ota is only a single tuner ota.
The 722 UI is not like the 922 or Hopper.

The OTA tuner gives me more freedom with recording prime time shows. We watch quiet a few of them, so utilizing that frees up the satellite tuners more for recording or watching premium channels at the same time. I don't like watching prime time shows live because of the commercials. I often do the time shift thing, meaning I let the show starts recording and then about 25 minutes into that I start the recorded show while it's still recording and fast skip through the commercials and kinda catch up almost by the time the show is done recording. This way I never watch any commercials.
It used to be insane with the volume differences, but since the new law it's not as bad anymore.

In my experience, Hopper's OTA tuner has better reception than the MT2. For one thing, being only one tuner, it doesn't have to split the OTA signal.

Also, PTAT can make up for the lack of a dual-tuner module in many instances. Not to mention that Hopper has three tuners. Consider purchasing a Hopper if it's going to be your only receiver.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Just noticed that you have another 622. Just buy a 922 then if you want the new UI so bad. Otherwise get a 722k.

I personally would not pay the extra $3 (used to be $4) a month just for the UI, nor would I purchase a 922 for it. I probably wouldn't even buy a 722k just for the extra OTA tuner if I already had a 722.

The OTA tuner gives me more freedom with recording prime time shows. We watch quiet a few of them, so utilizing that frees up the satellite tuners more for recording or watching premium channels at the same time. I don't like watching prime time shows live because of the commercials. I often do the time shift thing, meaning I let the show starts recording and then about 25 minutes into that I start the recorded show while it's still recording and fast skip through the commercials and kinda catch up almost by the time the show is done recording. This way I never watch any commercials.
It used to be insane with the volume differences, but since the new law it's not as bad anymore.
with you saying this, i would think the Hopper/Joey system would be better suited in your case. you would have 3 satellite tuners and could add an OTA tuner for four tuners. With PTAT enabled you could record the big 4 networks and have two satellite tuners and the OTA tuner available to record other series you watch. I'd look into the hopper if i were you.

Could probably upgrade to the Hopper/Joey system (sounds like 2H/2J would be ideal) for about $100-$200 with a new agreement. That's less than the cost of a single purchased receiver. You'd be future proof for the next 2 years, and if you're willing to invest big bucks in purchasing receivers for Dish then what's the big deal about the agreement?

At any rate, whatever you choose, you will probably be happy either way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)