Upgrade to a 522 or get another 510?

coreillydish

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Hi everyone. I currently have a 510 in my living room and a 301 in my bedroom. The 510 has worked perfectly since I got it in September. It has never missed a recording or exhibited any audio/video sync problems. I love the 510. I have been pondering whether to trade my 510 and 301 in for a 522. I have read here and at www.dbstalk.com about the various bugs with the 522. I am trying to decide whether to get the 522 or trade in the 301 for another 510. I know that the 522 has several advantages over the 510 but I don't think I am ready to deal with the 522's documented bugs. I would like some opinions from you guys on what I should do. Also, what would the price differences be between the single 522 setup and the two 510 setup? I have the Top 120 with locals and the HBO/Cinemax package. Thanks for the help.

For the most part my 522 has been pretty good the only real problems that cause me pain are the audio drop outs during playback usally occur when the tuners start recording while I am watching a previously recorded event. The other problem that causes me some pain is the 599 hard drive diagnostic problem when you do a search and find no results. The audio drop outs are by far the worse of the problems and they are really not that bad usally just hit the jump back 10 seconds and that solves the problem. I know other have more problems and some of those may be due to using the 522 in dual mode I use single mode only feeding 1 TV. The Name based recording is much better than the time based recording used on the 510 if they switch the 510 to name based I don't know which way would be better 2 510's or 1 522.

I'd go with the 522 unless you dont mind paying $10 more per month for another DVR fee and additional outlet fee vs. what you would pay for one 522. You owuld get another 100 hours of DVR storage on two 510's vs. one 522.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)