Upgrade to DTV 5LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tgw1031

Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I went HD with DTV about 3 years ago. I have started looking into upgrading to the 5LNB dish with the HD DVR. I have been reading a lot of entries on the forum and have gotten a lot of good information. Having been with DTV for 8 years now it does appear that I will have to work to get a discount on the equipment. Question.

With the 5 LNB dish, will I need to use my OTA antenna to get local HD programs?

I read somewhere that with the new set up I would not need an antenna anymore. Now I can't find the thread. I am sure I will have more questions in the future.

I went HD with DTV about 3 years ago. I have started looking into upgrading to the 5LNB dish with the HD DVR. I have been reading a lot of entries on the forum and have gotten a lot of good information. Having been with DTV for 8 years now it does appear that I will have to work to get a discount on the equipment. Question.

With the 5 LNB dish, will I need to use my OTA antenna to get local HD programs?

I read somewhere that with the new set up I would not need an antenna anymore. Now I can't find the thread. I am sure I will have more questions in the future.
If you want any of the sub channels you will need OTA. D* only broadcasts the 4 Major networks in MPEG4 if they offer your locals in HD.:)

I took the bate too, even that I have had DISH everything HD after VOOM DBS went under. Very happy with DISH and their VIP 622 DVR. Just went "On-Line" with DirecTV Account and scheduled their up-grade from my owned HR-10-250 to the H-20 DVR and the new dish. Found it hard to believe just a two day wait and install should be tomorrow (Friday) AM! Like all this on-line ordering and reference e-mails if it all works out, with no CSRs. Come September should start to see if all the hype is genuine. Guess I will have to start following the D* Forum more closely now, too. Thanks everyone for posting "better do it now" or "why wait"!

I have chimney mounted triple LNB dish and have to upgrade to the 5LNB.

Will the 5 LNB be able to be chimney mounted or is it to heavy?

I have chimney mounted triple LNB dish and have to upgrade to the 5LNB.

Will the 5 LNB be able to be chimney mounted or is it to heavy?

It will not work easily, depending on where on the chimney you mount it. The 5 lnb dishes need the monopoles attached for support, since the dish is fairly heavy. Perhaps if it is low enough on the chimney it could work. Also, the dish will put more stress on the chimney itself. That isn't good! Can you post a picture of your current dish?

Check D*'s local HD listings first!

I just got the 5 lnb upgrade here in new orleans. We had a bit of an issue getting our HD locals here since it took D* quite a while to get those channels, so I just used my OTA. I was getting all of my locals in HD except NBC via the OTA. When my local NBC affiliate went HD via D*, I called for the upgrade.

Now we get NBC, which is great except that for some reason we do not get the local FOX station in HD via the dish, and for some reason unknown to my installer, my trusty OTA doesn't play well with the new Zinwell switch. (I can't believe that D* made a change like this, causing all of our OTAs to be worthless without running new cables to each IRD!)

The moral of the story is that unless there are channels that you can't live without, and you are happy with your OTA/D* combo, I wouldn't necessarily change until it was necessary.

My $.02

The OTA should work for now, if diplexed in after the WB68 switch. That won't work after Directv 10 starts broadcasting, as its frequency out of the LNB overlaps the UHF TV band. The upcoming single-wire multiswitch is compatible with diplexing and the SWM-8 model has an OTA port built-in. These are being tested, but won't be available generally until probably around the end of the year. The SWM can be run through splitters, as well, and only require one coax to a DVR.

Now that sounds like something worth waiting for...

The OTA should work for now, if diplexed in after the WB68 switch. That won't work after Directv 10 starts broadcasting, as its frequency out of the LNB overlaps the UHF TV band. The upcoming single-wire multiswitch is compatible with diplexing and the SWM-8 model has an OTA port built-in. These are being tested, but won't be available generally until probably around the end of the year. The SWM can be run through splitters, as well, and only require one coax to a DVR.

Can it be that there will finally be a way to install DVRs easily in an old house w/o running a ton of new cable?!?!?!? That will be a monumental day for many of us and one he** of a good day for installers! :D

Very, very cool. I think I'll be watching for these gizmos to come out.

I just got the 5 lnb upgrade here in new orleans. We had a bit of an issue getting our HD locals here since it took D* quite a while to get those channels, so I just used my OTA. I was getting all of my locals in HD except NBC via the OTA. When my local NBC affiliate went HD via D*, I called for the upgrade.

Will the 3 LNB dish continue to work even after Sep. 2007?

Will the 3 LNB dish continue to work even after Sep. 2007?

Very much so. It will continue to get programming from sats 101, 110, and 119. The only thing it wont do is get the new MPEG4 HD channels and it will lose MPEG2 HD channels (Directv's current HD package lineup) at some point of Directv's choosing. We dont know that date yet or even if its 2007.

Very much so. It will continue to get programming from sats 101, 110, and 119. The only thing it wont do is get the new MPEG4 HD channels and it will lose MPEG2 HD channels (Directv's current HD package lineup) at some point of Directv's choosing. We dont know that date yet or even if its 2007.

Thanks for the info. Do I need to get the BBC converter for programming received through the 3 LNB, or is that something I need only for the 5 LNB dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.