Upgrade to Hopper 3 & Joey 3 from two old Hoppers w/Sling

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rob052067

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Our old equipment is getting really slow and randomly losing recordings. Getting upgrade installed next weekend.

Husband and wife have been using their own Hoppers on separate TVs, but will now have 1 Hopper + 1 Joey. We are used to having our own recordings libraries. With the new set up, which works off 1 hard drive, will all recordings be mixed together in one folder, or can the H3 and Joey have separate folders for each user?

Bobby; correct me if I am wrong. Hopper 3 does not let you record into designated folders. Users can move the recordings into any folder (they will create) whenever they want. It is very easy to do. Also, users need to check when Hopper 3 deletes them. I always prefer 'keep all the recordings', and dump them whenever I choose.
Of course, episodes of the same show are in the same folder. they could be moved into folders you create and name, too.

Bobby; correct me if I am wrong. Hopper 3 does not let you record into designated folders. Users can move the recordings into any folder (they will create) whenever they want. It is very easy to do. Also, users need to check when Hopper 3 deletes them. I always prefer 'keep all the recordings', and dump them whenever I choose.
Of course, episodes of the same show are in the same folder. they could be moved into folders you create and name, too.
I record direct to my folder & the wife to her folder. Timer has to be set up in the Folder setting.

As Charles has already done, let me correct you. You can set up recording to record directly into designated folders. You do this in Timers:

IMG_0037.jpeg

OK. So we got their Hopper 3 and Joey 3 installed today. I’ve set up two folders for X and Y. I’ve set up our series timers to direct recordings that X watches to X’s folder, and ditto for Y. For shows that both X and Y watch, they won’t divert to a folder.

It is apparently impossible to record the same show on two different tuners so each show records separately and diverts uniquely to each designated user’s folder.

I have confirmed that both X and Y can watch the same recorded show at the same time and have unique control on their respective TV. However, I can see that this set up will bring about arguments and yelling between rooms about when both viewers have watched a recorded program so it can be deleted. It’s workable, but sure will miss each user having complete control over their own recordings on 2 separate DVRs, let alone having twice the total storage space,

Last time I asked, Dish would not allow two leased Hopper 3’s on one account. Is that still true, or is it now possible to get a 2nd Hopper 3 Instead of a Joey? If allowed, how much more would it cost?

OK. So we got their Hopper 3 and Joey 3 installed today. I’ve set up two folders for X and Y. I’ve set up our series timers to direct recordings that X watches to X’s folder, and ditto for Y. For shows that both X and Y watch, they won’t divert to a folder.

It is apparently impossible to record the same show on two different tuners so each show records separately and diverts uniquely to each designated user’s folder.

I have confirmed that both X and Y can watch the same recorded show at the same time and have unique control on their respective TV. However, I can see that this set up will bring about arguments and yelling between rooms about when both viewers have watched a recorded program so it can be deleted. It’s workable, but sure will miss each user having complete control over their own recordings on 2 separate DVRs, let alone having twice the total storage space,

Last time I asked, Dish would not allow two leased Hopper 3’s on one account. Is that still true, or is it now possible to get a 2nd Hopper 3 Instead of a Joey? If allowed, how much more would it cost?
As others have said, if you want the 2nd H3, you have to either pay Dish for the 2nd H3 (usually the horrible FULL retail price) or you can purchase an H3 at a reputable dealer or possibly Solid Signal and they offer it, usually, at a lower price than what Dish wants for the 2nd H3. Of course, this is best set-up at the time of scheduling installation date as there is a little additional equipment and special installation to support TWO H3's, but NO additional installation charge and Dish can note on the work order that the customer has a 2nd H3 for install. The price quoted you by Dish (assuming you are paying the "upgrade" charge) include EVERYTHING to install and get functional both H3's and Joeys. Independent retailers/installers should NEVER charge you extra for ANYTHING that has been noted on the Work Order (exceptions could be installing reflector in concrete in your yard, if necessary).

To add a second H3 for install AFTER initial installation will require not only you pay for (likely buy at a discount from a reputable 3rd party), the 2nd H3, but you would have to pay Dish a fee for installing that 2nd H3.

The H3 that your purchase come with ALL the same protections and warranties as the "leased" H3, and the purchased H3 is considered OWNED by you and is NOT required to be returned at cancellation of your account. Further, if you should have to exchange your dysfunctional OWNED H3, the replacement H3 provided by Dish is still considered OWNED by you.

These sorts of desires like a 2nd H3 are always best handled at the time of INITIAL order of installation. It is less expensive that way. But if you have the money, you can get the 2nd H3 and have it installed if you really want to go that route. Best of luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts