Upgrade to...non HD dvr

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chakakanagen

Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Virginia
Yes you read that right.

I know that most people are(or at least used to be) going for the HR 20 HD DVR's and that would be the best option for most people but hear me out.

I have 2 ancient receivers, one is from around 2000, a Philips DSX 5350R to be exact and the other one is somewhat newer. Subbed to Dtv

I could probably talk my way into a free HR 20 and another one at a discount but I have no HD tv's . On the other hand I could probably get the 2 SD DVR's for free from DirecTV np.

If I got DirecTV to send me the SD DVR's could I simply unhook my existing receivers and hook up the SD DVR's and call DirecTV to activate them?

I have no idea about the lines, or equipment other than it's old but hopefully you guys will know about it.

DVRs work better if you have two lines coming in so that you can watch one program live while recording another, but you can set them up for a single line.

In the 2008 investor's conference, they showed a plan where SD DVRs would be phased out in 2008 but that obviously hasn't happened.

You're going to end up with a commitment (1 year?) by activating new receivers, although as a long time customer that may not be an issue.

However, for a 2 year commit you could get HD dvr's/receivers, a new dish and all the wiring checked and/or replaced at no extra cost, and then you'd have the HD capable dish and receivers if you decided to buy a new HD tv. In the meanwhile, the having an HD picture source downrevved to your SD tv may look better than an SD picture source.

There may also be newer HD only channels you'd need the HD gear to pick up.

DVRs work better if you have two lines coming in so that you can watch one program live while recording another, but you can set them up for a single line.

In the 2008 investor's conference, they showed a plan where SD DVRs would be phased out in 2008 but that obviously hasn't happened.

That's interesting, seeing as how they are still slinging them on the website. I even got offered yesterday a free "upgrade" to 2 legacy receivers at no charge.

You're going to end up with a commitment (1 year?) by activating new receivers, although as a long time customer that may not be an issue.

However, for a 2 year commit you could get HD dvr's/receivers, a new dish and all the wiring checked and/or replaced at no extra cost, and then you'd have the HD capable dish and receivers if you decided to buy a new HD tv. In the meanwhile, the having an HD picture source downrevved to your SD tv may look better than an SD picture source.

There may also be newer HD only channels you'd need the HD gear to pick up.

The one year, or two year commitment isn't really an issue for me. The thing is that I'm planning on building a new house soon so I want to save my HD upgrade/lines/dish upgrade until I move over to the new place and use the SD DVR that they would provide to me for free for now at my current house.

With that being said, if they ship me 2 new boxes can I just replace the cards and simply hook them up and have Dtv activate? Or would I need to have a pro install?

8 year customer, never missed a payment if that matters.

Thank you guys for your answers.

The OP expressed an interest in an SD DVR and all DVRs earn you a 24 month commitment.

Read the information about the "Mover's Connection" on the DIRECTV website:

DIRECTV - MOVERS CONNECTION PROGRAM"

As various offers and promotions only come up periodically, you need to be relatively sure that you're not going to want something even bigger a short time down the line.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)