upgrade to vip922?

xterra

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
iceland
If I upgrade to a vip 922 how do I get all recordings off of my 622 unit? Wifey says go for it, but she wants all her recorded shows to!

You record them off the 622 onto an external hard drive when the 922 is active on your account you can transfer from the EHD to the 922.

Isn't it a better unit? Are you saying the 622 is better than the 922 hd dvr sling? Dish said I could upgrade to the 922 and my bill would only go up 4 bucks(plus sign 2 year deal) no out of pocket money. Don't really want to spend 100 bucks to upgrade to hopper. This is all dish offered.

Isn't it a better unit? Are you saying the 622 is better than the 922 hd dvr sling? Dish said I could upgrade to the 922 and my bill would only go up 4 bucks(plus sign 2 year deal) no out of pocket money. Don't really want to spend 100 bucks to upgrade to hopper. This is all dish offered.
922 will cost you an additional $4.00 per month DVR fee. The 922 is pretty much a dead duck receiver. Never lived up to the expectations. In fact, they stopped offering at all until they got some issues resolved. Dish has pretty much let it float by the wayside. As already said, you're better off with a 722K.

The 922 has also been vary unreliable for the past couple of software updates. Hopefully they fixed the bugs in the s119 update that just started to come out. It takes constant checking and manual rebooting to keep it going.

Transfer all your recordings. Kill your 622. Call and make them give you a free service call. Have tech replace with 722k. Buy sling adapter from tech for $50 while he is there. Fifty bucks for the sling adapter, no increase on your bill and you will have equipment that actually works.

Transfer all your recordings. Kill your 622. Call and make them give you a free service call. Have tech replace with 722k.
This seems like bad advice all around.

The failing in this scam is that ViP622s are supposed to be replaced with ViP622s. There won't be any techs to browbeat or bribe unless the OP "upgrades" and maybe not even then.

Isn't the 722 pretty much the same as 622? Just a bigger hd?
No. The 722K has an optional OTA module with TWO tuners, as opposed to the 622's one built in. Also can transfer timers to the remote in case you would have to replace it. Contact a DIRT member whatever you decide to do. (But don't do 922);)

Okay going for the vip722k. One more question..does the 722k have to be plugged in to the internet like you do with the phone line? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse :)

harshness said:
This seems like bad advice all around.

The failing in this scam is that ViP622s are supposed to be replaced with ViP622s. There won't be any techs to browbeat or bribe unless the OP "upgrades" and maybe not even then.
622/722/722k are all the same model family and any is an acceptable swap for any other.

Okay going for the vip722k. One more question..does the 722k have to be plugged in to the internet like you do with the phone line? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse :)
No receiver HAS to be connected to phone or Internet anymore in terms of the old TV2 connection fees. Of course, you need Internet for on line/demand capability.

622/722/722k are all the same model family and any is an acceptable swap for any other.

The 622/722/722k receivers are in the same family but exchanges are for like model number receivers only. OP would need to upgrade to get a 722 receiver. I know that the ViP922 receivers have had their issues but I own two of them and I love them. Other than an occasional reboot, I have had no issues and just recently upgraded my Dad's 722k to a 922 as he loved the updated GUI and he is very happy. It is the OP's choice so good luck!

I have the 922....went from the atari lookin 722 to the 922. Some of us cant afford the $400 plus for the hopper. Not to mention..the hopper and 922 are almost the same reciver. I HAVE two of the 922s...no issues with them. IVe had them for five months now. Check out my 922 videos...even my 722 videos. Far happier with the 922...search Mfinchv1 on youtube to watch my videos!

And my 922s didnt cost me anything. If id had any issues...dish woulda replaced them. Id take the chance personally...I did. I want the hopper...but for my setup..its still round $700 bucks for all I need. Coming from att uverse...there basic recivers are a bit better then the 722. My girlfriend...is a basic kinda person...and hated the dish 722..it was difficult to use...search for shows...etc. So I wanted to impress her with dish technology...and the 922 did just that. Its an awesome reciver...it freezes up sometimes for 30 seconds but its still well worth it...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)