upgrade to vip922?

The 922 is awesome, I've had mine over a year and haven't had any issues since the May software update. In fact it's worked faster and sling reliability improved greatly.

One question with the 922, why is the DVR fee for the 922 $10 instead of just $6 like the 622/722/722k etc.? It isn't a whole home DVR like the hopper and I think the two main things it has going for it are a larger hard drive and a nicer GUI. It's not the top receiver anymore so why not bring the DVR fee in line with the other non-whole home DVRs?

One question with the 922, why is the DVR fee for the 922 $10 instead of just $6 like the 622/722/722k etc.? It isn't a whole home DVR like the hopper and I think the two main things it has going for it are a larger hard drive and a nicer GUI. It's not the top receiver anymore so why not bring the DVR fee in line with the other non-whole home DVRs?
Not a whole home DVR. It probably should only be $6.00 DVR fee, but it's not... and one of the reasons I would not recommend it.

kb2vgp said:

I think of it as a 'sling fee' because if you get a hopper or a 722k, you're going to have to purchase a $49 adapter to get the same capability that comes standard in the 922.

I say the answer to this question depends on the reason for upgrading. 622 -> 722k will only net you an extra OTA tuner (if you get the module) + Sling (if you get the adapter) + a slightly bigger HDD. Do you need HD in another room? Do you plan on getting more than one HDTV in the near future? If so, I would stick with the 622 for now and save your upgrade discounts for Hopper. As everyone else said, 922 is a dead end. Sure it's fancier and has Sling built-in + a bigger HDD, but it really is the red-headed stepchild of the Dish receiver family. It has a higher monthly fee yet no HD on TV2.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

xterra said:
Isn't it a better unit? Are you saying the 622 is better than the 922 hd dvr sling? Dish said I could upgrade to the 922 and my bill would only go up 4 bucks(plus sign 2 year deal) no out of pocket money. Don't really want to spend 100 bucks to upgrade to hopper. This is all dish offered.

I would hold off till you can save 100 bucks for the Hopper upgrade (unless you need OTA). Why pay the extra 4 bucks/month if you still don't get whole home dvr swapping to a 922 for free.

My opinion the Hopper is by far superior to the 922. The 922 isn't that much more superior to the 622.

Well after reading this thread, i have to say that i've had my 922 for the past six months and im happy with it. Not a single problem and sling works perfect,came from a 622.

Wow! Didn't think I'd get this many hits :) Thanks for all the info. Sounds like i'd better stay with the 622 till dish has better deals on the hopper. Just seems like I've had this 622 unit forever. Don't really want to spend $100 for hopper, $100 for hd for life, sign up for paperless billing, just to have the hopper.

Isn't it a better unit? Are you saying the 622 is better than the 922 hd dvr sling? Dish said I could upgrade to the 922 and my bill would only go up 4 bucks(plus sign 2 year deal) no out of pocket money. Don't really want to spend 100 bucks to upgrade to hopper. This is all dish offered.

I loved my 922 but the Hopper is soooo much better. Now if you have the 922 for two TVs then the Hopper would not be an even swap, you'd need a Joey for the second TV and that would cost $7/mo.

By the way, the upgrade price for going to a Hopper has recently lowered. Message a DIRT member and they can tell you what you qualify for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)