Upgraded HR22 with an existing esata external HDD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

schilla

Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
GA
Greetings,

I was using a FAP 750 GB external HDD with an HR20 for about 11 months and managed to accumulate over 100 hrs of HD programming. Recently the HR20 died and I called DirecTv. They promptly responded and sent a replacement HR21 which turned out to be a lemon too. Then they sent out a brand spanking new HR22-100 today.

I read several forums that talked about FAP's incompatibilities with HR21/22 so I went ahead and bought an Antec MX 1. After successfully swapping the drive from the FAP to Antec I pugged everything to the HR22 and was praying everything would work. Was really excited when I finally saw my old playlist with 50+ HD movies and eagerly tried to test one recording. The intermediate screen came up that says Resume/Start Over/ Delete/...etc and when I clicked on Resume or Play it took a few seconds and gave me a n Error saying "The access card has expired.(763)" with a more info button. When I clicked on that it said replace the access card with a new card you received in the mail or reset the receiver using the red button in the front or call their tech support and tell them about message number 763. Obviously there is nothing wrong with the access card since I just activated that a couple of hours ago and I'm able to watch every channel I get.

Does this mean that I'm pretty much doomed and have lost all of my recordings for good? Is there no other way to restore those files? It is crazy that they encode the access card information into the recording too.

Unfortunately, the eSata drive is married to the HR2x it was used on. Moving it to another DVR won't save the recordings. They are lost even though the playliist remains intact.

IMO, this is a major oversight on DirecTV's part. I see no reason why the external drive shouldn't be able to be moved to another DVR that's on the same account. Or at the very least allow it to be married to a new DVR in the case of a replacement.

This is one reason why I have not gotten an external drive. That and I don't really need it. :)

He's right, when you move it to another receiver (even if your's died) all recordings will be erased. If you saw them, it is a fluke. When you reboot, they'll be gone.

lost battle

well thank you guys!!

That seriously sucks, I can't believe all the levels of security they have added to protect the content. A proprietary filesystem only their dvrs read and a meta file encoding of the access card code on all recorded content.

Oh well!! I tried and am now freeing up 750gb worth of space for new content.

Cheers!!

Western Digital External Drive

Staples has a 1TB WD My Book Essential 2.0 Edition 1 TB external hard drive on sale for $99.00 or less.
Will this work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts