Upgraded OTA Antenna, what type & Range?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
If you have been upgraded to another Antenna, please post here manufacturer, model and range (in miles). I am trying to answer this question on the FAQ files. Thanks. Only answer if VOOM upgraded your OTA antenna.

I've been upgraded twice. First was a Winegard 8800 (8 bay bow-tie, UHF 60 mile). Second, a Winegard Square Shooter (UHF 60 miles).

From the Square Shooter manual:
Analog Range 40-50 miles
Digital Range 50-60 miles
"... excellent reception characteristics in the 15-20 mile range..."

Neither worked.

-John

Radio Shack 15-2160

I am 15.2 miles from my farthest tower. The ChannelMaster Stealth never worked (at 15 miles!)

My RS 15-2160 is relatively small and does the job. Total cost with splitter was $25.

I took notes on before (Stealth) and after (RS 15-2160) OTA Signal Quality and Power.

KTVI-FOX
Before: 19 Q, 61 P
After: 82 Q, 78 P

KMOV-CBS
Before: 48 Q, 42 P
After: 58 Q, 56 P

KSDK-NBC
Before: 48 Q, 69 P
After: 67 Q, 80 P

KDNL-ABC
Before: 80 Q, 74 P
After: 90 Q, 80 P

KPLR-WB
Before: 63 Q, 66 P
After: 58 Q, 71 P

I went down to Radio Shack and picked up an omni directional antenna for $73
Installed it my self. Works great. Voom said that the installer will be out on sat to replace the original one they installed and told me the replacement one should be better then my radio shack one. I don't know how since I now pick up all of my locals. As far as range, the furthest tower away from me is 31 miles.

I had the ChannelMaster Stealth installed by Voom. Right now I am getting KDVR (FOX), KUSA (NBC), Kxxx (WB) KDBI (PBS). I am scheduled for the Winegard PR-8800 install on Saturday to hopefully get ABC & CBS. The closest station transmitted is 46 miles away from my residence. Currently the signal strenghts vary drastically, however, I have excellet PQ

I will edit this post to include a before & after, after the PR-8800 is installed.

I am in Newport News, Va which is about 20 miles from local towers. I have been upgraded to a Channelmaster 4228 with no amp or preamp. The Channelmaster 4228 is a directional, 8-bay, OTA antenna with a range of 60+ miles.

I am getting air quality of 70-73 on NBC,CBS,FOX,PAX. Iam getting 55-63 air quality with ABC and WB. I think ABC needs to add more power.

I have been using the Voom supplied Stealth, and was getting all locals except ABC, which is channel 7 in Denver. Voom upgraded me to the Winegard PR8800, which has a range of 60 miles. Channel 7 now comes in clear as a bell. I now get NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS and Fox-31 here locally. I'm stoked. Service call went off without a hitch--came when scheduled and DELIVERED.

I am going to be upgraded from my Winegard (don't know model #) to a SquareShooter on Tuesday. My PBS and ABC stations are about 7 miles to the SW of me and I can only consistently get the PBS station with ABC coming in sometimes. The CBS station is about 17 miles to the NW of me and doesn't come in at all because the antenna is so directional. They say the problem I have here is that the signals are bouncing off the bluffs on the Mississippi here in Wisconsin. I would at least like to get PBS, ABC, and CBS.
I have very little hope for NBC because it is 58 miles away.
I asked my installer about a rotor, but was told that could only be used with an antenna with a large mast, which is not allowed where I live. So I hope the SquareShooter will help. I am keeping my basic cable in the meantime to at least get me the local stations.

nicklew98 said:
What will they upgrade you to if you require both VHF and UHF? The CM 4228 is UHF, so is the Winegard 8800.

The service company I had showed up with a printout from antennaweb, and he had already selected the upgraded antenna for this location. I think it is best to just call 1-800-GET-VOOM and tell them your problems, and let them arrange the service call. The service guys should know what will work in your area. If the first upgrade doesn't work, they will figure out something else.

The Stone Man said:
The service guys should know what will work in your area. If the first upgrade doesn't work, they will figure out something else.

Not always. The installer that came by today tried using the Square Shooter to get my locals. When it didn't work he simply said sorry and left.

tscallions said:
Not always. The installer that came by today tried using the Square Shooter to get my locals. When it didn't work he simply said sorry and left.

Bummer!! The SS has a very good rep. I guess some locations are just not going to be able to get locals without a 'survival' cable package.

nicklew98 said:
Isn't that the number where nobody answers??? :p

It's weird. You read about guys who call in and get put on hold for 20 minutes and then get disconnected. When I called, I selected option 2 as an existing subscriber. Got connected to a CSR in about 5 minutes. Robert Harms was the CSR. He listened to the problem and scheduled a service call right away. I got an e-mail from the service company the next day confirming the service call. They also called me the day before to re-confirm, and came when scheduled, and the problem got fixed.

I was very pleased. I called the service company after the technician left and let them know that he had done a good job, and that I was happy with the way it was handled.

The Stone Man said:
Bummer!! The SS has a very good rep. I guess some locations are just not going to be able to get locals without a 'survival' cable package.

I don't believe that statement at all. I had the SS, and it didn't do much for me. It's meant for urban situations.

I think he needs to call up an antenna guy and have someone who is NOT just a satellite installer come out and see what he can do. I would bet with the right antenna, amp, and good wiring, you could get OTA especially at 17 miles away.

I'm 13 miles away and needed the 4228 (8 bay bow-tie), amp, and clean wiring with upgraded connectors. The SS didn't get anything on the Voom box.

Just my thoughts. Plus if you buy your own antenna and switch to D* or E*, it will still be good to go! :)

-John

I agree 100%. I find it really hard to believe that I am unable to receive any locals when I am 8.6 miles away from the furthest digital antenna. I am trying to get something done about it through Voom. If my hand wasn't broken, I'd be on top of the house mounting my own damn OTA antenna and say "to hell" with these incompetent installers that obviously don't seem to care if it works or not. All the guy said to me was "Man that sucks. Sorry it doesn't work. Maybe one day they will make a antenna that actually works. I'd be mad too" and then he left. No, hey I'm going to try a different antenna or lets try bypassing the diplexers just to see if that helps. And what's up with Installs Inc. contracting "some guy with a cell phone"? I was assigned one installer and every time I called I got his Sprint cellular voice mail! I wish I knew another Voomer in Memphis so I could see how their setup went.

jgantert--

You might want to go read the Memphis thread. It explains the problem that is happening here, and the problem appears to be caused by tall trees in the area. Maybe you know of an OTA antenna that can receive a signal through a tree trunk, but I haven't seen one.

I had about 3 installers say that I couldn't get any reception because of trees as well.

That's the problem with OTA, there's no one solution for everyone. Quite possible the signal really is blocked (trees or buildings). Maybe he could pick up a reflection as well? It's possible.

For me, I dont get Channel 13 by pointing the antenna towards the tower (62 degrees), but I do get a signal pointing towards 94 degrees. I'm guessing I'm picking up a reflection from a tree or something, who knows. (Who cares -- it works!) :)

I guess I am just saying it might be worthwhile to get someone else out there to look at it. I've been told by Voom that they will always keep the same installer company for each person. So if one guy from that company can't fix it, then they will send someone else from the same company. This second guy has probably already talked to the first guy, and I'll bet he's already convienced that the signal won't improve (trees, etc.). So if you go outside of Voom, you will get a true second opinion.

Just my thoughts... I'm still bitter about the OTA install nightmare... heh

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)