upgraded to an H20 - what !? no HD channels !?!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thequads

Original poster
Jun 30, 2011
miami florida
hi Guys, I just upgraded to an H20-100 HD receiver from a standard def D11. I am only getting the local channels in HD and 1 HBO channel in HD (I believe its Channel 501). All other HD channels indicated "Searching For Signal" or whatever. All other SD channels come in just fine.

I called D* and they are saying its a wiring issue and need to have a tech come check it out. it seemed like they really werent even trying to help, all we did was a couple of resets and unplugging the coax cable. I really dont have the time or patience for them to come to my house and was hoping someone here could shed some light.

Thanks

Which dish do you have? Do you have any other HD boxes other than this? Did you run Satellite Setup and select the correct dish configuration when you first installed it?

I do have another HD DVR in the mix. So I am getting all HD channels on the other box. I did not go through any setup when we put the box in, the REP didnt even guide me in that direction. uhhh.

Well there's your problem.. Menu > Parental, Favs, & Setup > System Setup > Satellite > Repeat Dish Setup

Press the Dash button when prompted
Set the dish and switch type to match your setup (based on the fact that you already have HD and a D11, most likely it's either SWM SL3 or SL5 with SWM switch, but if not we can help figure that out too - an SL3 will have one white "eye" on the dish, an SL5 will have three of them)
Click continue to verify the setup
Once finished, click Continue again to download guide data (this takes a few minutes)
Click continue to run tests
If you wish to setup the remote for other devices, you can click Setup Remote Now, otherwise click Later.
That's it.

Last edited:
and do you have a BBC connected to the back of the H20? Without it you will get virtually no HD channels...

Why do you think thequads has a swm setup? I agree there is a missing bbc.

It's an assumption.. Miami locals are on 99s, and he is receiving them fine, therefore the receiver is able to switch to Ka and it must be on SWM. Am I wrong on this?

JerseyMatt said:
It's an assumption.. Miami locals are on 99s, and he is receiving them fine, therefore the receiver is able to decode Ka, so it must be on SWM. Am I wrong on this?

The other receiver may have bbc(s) connected. The h20 may not have one connected. That is if the op has a non-swm system.

The op stated he upgraded from a D11 to a H20. If I'm correct, the D11 is not swm compatible. If it isnt, then he would have an external swm switch. The cable for the D11 would be connected to a legacy port on the switch. When he upgraded he should of connected the cable to an output on the swm splitter. That is if he has swm.

Last edited:
SWM? I'm 99.9% sure he does NOT have SWM. As indicated a D-11 is not SWM compatible so odds are either the BBC has gone bad or it's the receiver. We all know H-20's were one of the worst boxes when it came to anything! It is either the best box or the worst paper weight ever. Let them send a tech out and do a quick check. Also make sure you're there when they perform the IV retest on the HR to insure all the signals are where they're suppose to be. Techs are able to set up the older systems as an 18' round and perform the test to get a completion code then repeat setup and switch back to what dish type you really have.

SWM? I'm 99.9% sure he does NOT have SWM. As indicated a D-11 is not SWM compatible so odds are either the BBC has gone bad or it's the receiver. We all know H-20's were one of the worst boxes when it came to anything! It is either the best box or the worst paper weight ever. Let them send a tech out and do a quick check. Also make sure you're there when they perform the IV retest on the HR to insure all the signals are where they're suppose to be. Techs are able to set up the older systems as an 18' round and perform the test to get a completion code then repeat setup and switch back to what dish type you really have.

H20-600 ran hot, but had good OTA tuners in them.
H20-100's were great, never had a problem with mine.

The op stated he upgraded from a D11 to a H20. If I'm correct, the D11 is not swm compatible. If it isnt, then he would have an external swm switch. The cable for the D11 would be connected to a legacy port on the switch. When he upgraded he should of connected the cable to an output on the swm splitter. That is if he has swm.

You're right, I was thinking of the D12. Thats what I originally had on my SWM system. BBCs now look more like the culprit, unless the BBCs are connected and it goes back to the fact that it was never set up.

That's what indicated to me he did not have an SWM system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)