GEOSATpro Upgraded To Latest Software, Now Can Not Receive Satellites 113W To 125W

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
This morning I decided to upgrade to the latest software.

After doing a multi-satellite search from 72W to 125W. noticed that the satellites from 113W to 125W were missing all together.....Manually scanned the mentioned satellites, but kept getting the "No Program Found" notice.....I was receiving those Satellites and some of their channels prior to the Upgrade.

The quality signal strenght for the viewable satellite ( 72W- 103W) channels are from 70% to 75%.....Tried all the scanning format with no results.:rant:

Any idea or suggestion is very well welcomed.

Thank You.

Thanks Iceberg for the reminder, it is for the microHD, sorry for posting in the wrong area, was so disappointed that did not noticed that I was looking at the Main FTA forum and just started to type my findings.

Did factory reset prior to the upgrade, but forgot to do it after the update...Will try again and report findings.

Ke4est, I was scanning for the Ku band.

Thanks

Followed the instructions for installing the newest software, after doing a factory reset went on and did the muti-satellite scanning for the 72W to 125W satellites. I have just returned from doing some errands, checked for the ending result, and noticed that satellites 113W to 125W were not scanned and missing as before.

Still have good quality signal from the remaining active satellites.

Is a power reboot/reset really required after the software update?, if so then that might be the answer to the problem.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Perhaps you did not set the motor up for some of your satellites. I'm just wrapping up scanning 24 ku satellites with the new firmware and it's going well.
All I did was update the firmware, master reset, set video, add satellites, set satellites (USALS only, it's nice that they came pre-set as 10750 this time around), and blind scan normal. I"ll go back and do a detailed scan and then follow up with a TP scan later.
Steve

More observations on this problem......The motor is moving to the assigned satellite locations......Now from satellites 72W to 103W, while looking at the "Motor/ Switch Setting" window, those satellites show a Signal Quality strenght of 72% to 75% for all active TP of them, but from then on there is no Signal Quality strenght showing for the rest of the TPs on the others satellites (113W to 125W).

Rechecked all the requirement settings for the setup, and did not miss any of the motor setup. It seems that the drop off point is at the 103W satellite, nothing is happening or scanning in after 103W.

Thanks.

No problems with firmware 0.19 on the test units for single or multi-satellite scans. All Signal Level and Signal Quality readings are normal on all active transponders on all visible satellites.

Is there no Signal Level reading or no Signal Quality reading or both no Level and Quality readings when on an active transponder west of 113w?

Motor control - USALS or DiSEqC 1.2?

Any switches in line?

Did you load an User Database (.udf) file or only the firmware (.abs) file?

Suggestion: Perform a Factory reset, Power cycle the microHD then motor to any satellite west of 113w. See if there is Signal Level and Signal Quality reading on an active transponder.

Rescanned earlier this morning, had the same results as yesterday. Did not use any user database (.udf) or any firmware (.abs) files, started from scratch/anew inputing all satellites by way of the Multi-satellite scan format, using USALS searching for KU band.

Tomorrow will do it all over again, and will see what happens.... Will follow your suggestion as to motor to any satellite west of 113W (again), to see if there is any Level signal and Quality signal readings on active transponder, checked earlier, but did not noticed any. That is why I want to do it again tomorrow. There must to be something or simple explanation that is causing this problem.

Thanks.

Last night I setup for multi satellite search, early this morning went an checked the results, Gained a few channels at 113W, but they were unwatchable too much pixellation. None of the other came in.

Went to see if there were any good Level and/or Quality signals at any and all of the TPs of the satellites that did not scanned. Some had signal level of blinking 45% to 0%, some have o% on both signal reading none shown a good Quality signal.

Adjusted the LNBF IN and OUT at the bracket to see if things changed, no good results.

The strange thing is that up to 103W everything comes in with a good signal. I am not getting all of the satellites TPs, but whatever scanned has a good quality signal.

I am using about 75 ft of RG6 coax, two diplexes ( have OTA connection), not DiseQc switch, no 22K switch, a Invacom SNH-031 (9750/10600) setting, and of course the microHD.

With this crazy weather that we been having, the next thing to do, I guess is to check and see if the dish or anything moved.

Thanks.

Sounds like your dish is not tracking the arc. When you place the receiver on 113w can the Signal Quality Reading be improved by gently pressing on the reflector up/down/left/right? Or have you tried bumping the dish motor East/West using the microHD motor controls?

From earlier posts it sounded like everything was perfectly functioning until the firmware was upgraded, but now that assumption must be questioned.

The question begs to be asked, are you confident that these satellites were being received immediately before updating the receiver?

Last edited:
Thanks Brian.... It sounds funny but I was receiving those mentioned satellites prior to the new update, but now everything is moot because tomorrow I will replace one of your Satellite AV 38" x 34" dish with a BIGGER offset dish and will start from scratch, and will report my progress.

Today one of my friend gave me three FTA ITEMS to play with, I believe that the three items were bought from you stablishment.

I started a new thread on the regular FTA forum.

1. GEOSATpro GS-120 motor
2. The dish (44" x 40.5")
3. The Invacom QPH-031

Thanks for all you help, and will report my progress with my new toys.

Thanks

Nice to have friends like that!!

I wish we could have found out more about your problem. I have been having some similar problem with my micro, it sometimes "skips" some transponders on a blind scan.
I can go back and do a manual scan on the individual transponder and it will then scan in. It's kinda like the Signal/Quality levels are not coming up fast enough and the micro just skips over them.

I'll open a new post about this.

Thanks Brian.... It sounds funny but I was receiving those mentioned satellites prior to the new update, but now everything is moot because tomorrow I will replace one of your Satellite AV 38" x 34" dish with a BIGGER offset dish and will start from scratch, and will report my progress.

Today one of my friend gave me three FTA ITEMS to play with, I believe that the three items were bought from you stablishment.

I started a new thread on the regular FTA forum.

1. GEOSATpro GS-120 motor
2. The dish (44" x 40.5")
3. The Invacom QPH-031

Thanks for all you help, and will report my progress with my new toys.

Thanks

I have another thought that's simple enough to test.
It could be the cable from your motor to LNBF.
As the dish moves it does or doesn't make reliable connection.
Could be one of the connectors.

Also, during debugging, I'd remove the diplexers.
Just more cable & connectors out of the equation.

Thanks Anole.

Today was a perfect day to do some more work with the microHD and to see if I could get those satellites and channels back. Well this afternoon I put the small dish back on it's pole, after resetting everything scanned for my "Home" satellite which is Galaxy 28 89W...The channel 10 (Test Pattern) came in with a quality signal reading of 75%, the mosquitoes were out for too much blood so I went back inside the house. Tonight I will rescanned as before and hopefully tomorrow I will have better news.

If the problem still persist the I will remove the diplexe switches, check the connections, and clean all the contacts points.

After rescanning last night, this morning came up with almost the same results as before, the stopping point is now at 101W SES1, missing the LPB2,3,and HD from 87W SES2....From 103W to 125W all the Signal Level and Signal Quality readings are at zero persent.

Also used the Fortec Lifetime Ultra to scan the satellites, did not get pass 101W. The micro scanned more channels 385 (including the $ channels and the HD channels) the Fortec scanned 265 ( including the $ channels minus the HD channels).

If the dish is not tracking the satellites, would it actually stop at a certain satellite and cut off the rest of the remaining list of satellites, even if the last satellite quality reading is high. I have not disturbed the dish nor the motor original settings, and how critical or touchy are these settings. The pole seems to be slightly
off, but no that much the groung is defenitely saturated for a while so maybe the pole shifted a bit.

I am going out of town for the Mardi Gras week, when I return I might have to see if it can be adjusted or straighten out.

The Lifetime Ultra receiver scanning the same satellites would be a sure indication that the problem is with the motor tracking or the satellite signal blocked by trees or buildings.

A polar tracking dish will not be able to track an arc of satellites if the mount is not perfectly plumb and level. Yes, it is possible that the motor is only tracking a portion of the arc then tracks above or below the arc for the remainder of the satellites.

This might help you understand how the dish "sees" the arc of satellites...

SUMMARY: Find top satellite first then satellite at lowest arc position then program satellites in the middle between these two then program your way down to the lowest satellite at the other end of the arc. Always adjust north-south axis before making elevation/declination adjustments. Always adjust elevation before making any declination adjustments. To determine whether to make elevation or declination adjustment, program as many satellites as possible into satellite receiver then use this chart to analytically see which adjustment is appropriate.

adjarcsr.gif

(The best manner to understand these diagrams is to understand that the satellite arc makes a half circle and that the tracking movement of mount of dish makes another half circle and when these two half circles are aligned then dish is properly tracked.)