Upgrading an old c-band analog system

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Okay..so I'm not that great with size estimates...
I guess I could never be one of those carny guys that guesses your weight within 5lbs..

Don't worry, I'm horrible with time. We all have our flaws. I once went a week without eating because I just forgot. One Tuesday I suddenly wondered when I had last eaten, and realized it was the Tuesday before. :p

You really need to take a power washer to it but otherwise a nice looking dish. The LNB is a CO-Rotor which is a good unit with the exception of the litter blue box which controls the V/H switching and they will go bad with age.

What type of Traxis receiver are you using?

I'm using a Traxis DBS3800 and a 4dtv 920 as a dish mover. In my case I hooked a small TV to the TV output of the 4DTV which allows me to see my options and satellite listing. I can move from 91W(GB) to 125W(G5) and never have to rescan. Also have a GeoSatPro DSR-R100b on another dish setup the same way.

HI, the dish looks to be in excellent condition. The actuator looks new and should be usable.

If all you need is a DVB SD receiver you might want to look into a Pansat 3500SD. This receiver can control the servo motor on the LNB. Add a Gbox to move the actuator and you should be able to get the system fully operational with no other upgrades.

Hope this helps, DC

Sergie:
I'll have to check on that Traxis model number tomorrow.

Okay..so here's what I think I'm hearing. The system is a keeper. Power wash it immediately.
The LNB group should continue to provide good service and there is no reason to replace it.
Be on the watch for H/V switching failure.
The actuator should also continue providing good service.

If I want to move away from the 4D unit as a controller I should consider a Gbox and since I am set up for two receivers anyway I should consider adding a Pansat 3500SD receiver in addition to the Traxis I already have. That would give me redundancy which I like and more audio decoding which I need.

A couple of questions:
1. Do any receivers out there tell you what satellite your pointed at? I mean don't those birds send out an ID signal? I get really tired of comparing whats supposed to be on a given satellite according to the Lyngsat tables to whats actually there after my blind scans.
2. How come the transponder frequencies listed by Lyngsat rarely match the transponder frequencies that the Traxis sees when I am supposedly on the same transponder?

My Traxis is also a DBS3800...same as Sergie's.

Thanks to all who helped out...I reallly appreciate the time you took to give me a hand..

My Traxis is also a DBS3800

If your only needing the C-Band side of FTA signals then I would replace the feedhorn with a LNBF less problems and easlier to setup. Myself I'm using a DMX241 connected to my Traxis. The other thing do you need to operate this 24/7 as that's what the Traxis is made for and the noncommercial units are not. You can get the Traxis for 138 dollars with free shipping, I've also got a GeoSatpro DSR-R100b which is about the same price but it mainly designed for sitting on only one satellite and doesn't like long scans.
Put the First Strike meter inline and it will help tell you what satellite your looking for as you move the dish, check out the link below.
One reason nothing seems to match is that the Free site information is updated by other people using a different receivers and LNB's. Sort of a free for all anymore!

First Stike FS-1 « FridgeFTA Satellite Store

If I can help send me a private Email with your phone number and I'll call you back.

Sergie

I need both c and Ku. I like the rack mount frame on the DBS3800. But I have not seen many other rack mounts that also offer s-video out.

We do operate 24/7. The Traxis never gets shut down. We now take two or more feeds a day from it.

This is the kind of thing that frustrates me...
Today I could not pull in UWTV on Galaxy 18 Transponder 21...Its was there two days ago but today I couldn't get it. The Traxis pulled in all the other FTA channels that bird but could not find UWTV...
What is that all about?
The signals on the adjoining channels were good and strong...
This is the kind of stuff that makes me crazy...
This is also the reason I want a second receiver....a second opinion so to speak...lol...

Do you have to combine the C and Ku together? If so what do you use for splitters and combiners?

Sergei

I do the same thing with the 4D..since I use it only for moving the dish around I have a 7" monitor attached to it so I can see the menus.

Sergie

I was just looking at the Fridge site and the FS1..
I like it..
Thanks

Sergie

I need both c and Ku. I like the rack mount frame on the DBS3800. But I have not seen many other rack mounts that also offer s-video out.

We do operate 24/7. The Traxis never gets shut down. We now take two or more feeds a day from it.

This is the kind of thing that frustrates me...
Today I could not pull in UWTV on Galaxy 18 Transponder 21...Its was there two days ago but today I couldn't get it. The Traxis pulled in all the other FTA channels that bird but could not find UWTV...
What is that all about?
The signals on the adjoining channels were good and strong...
This is the kind of stuff that makes me crazy...
This is also the reason I want a second receiver....a second opinion so to speak...lol...

Do you have to combine the C and Ku together? If so what do you use for splitters and combiners?

Could be a couple reasons for not getting UWTV yesterday one being your dish isn't right on the satellite which is where the meter would help as sometimes you can be off just a little bit and not see the channel. Did you check using the INFO button to see if you could adjust the dish for a better signal? Also I find that having the 4DTV receiver on channel 1- 24 that I can then use the left or right to make small adjustment to the dish.
I've found that the Traxis receiver is a good receiver and more than likely not the issue, besides the only way to really check would be to install a second system to compare things.
More than likely the dish for whatever reason may not have counted right which could be and issue with either a bad/lose connection or even the actuator also just make sure all the moving part have enough lubrication since you inherited this system the age of the actuator may be unknown which is where the counting takes place.
Also for most getting the KU signal can be harder to adjust the dish for....meter helps.
As far as combining signals that's something hopefully someone else can answer for you as I use dedicated dishes.

Sergie

I dont think I was off any nor was it because of a loose connection. I can tell because the adjacent channels came in just fine. I do wonder about that H/V switcher though. It might be that I am only picking up the H or the V...I'll check into that..

Sergie

I dont think I was off any nor was it because of a loose connection. I can tell because the adjacent channels came in just fine. I do wonder about that H/V switcher though. It might be that I am only picking up the H or the V...I'll check into that..

I hadn't checked before but UWTV is being broadcast as a DVB-S2 signal now and that will take a different receiver. From what I found they switched over I guess yesterday and now are at 12105V 3360. You might look at the OpenBox S9 HD as a possible replacement if money is an issue.

Sergie
Jeese!
How do you keep track of all this information?
Well no wonder I couldn't get them..

What receiver would you recommend for the DVB-S2 signal if I could spend $300?
Just off the top of your head are there a number of receivers that do DVB, DVB-S2, MPG4, MPG2 and whatever the next great compression might be?

Do you use anything in addition to the receiver to decode digital audio ?

Thanks for all your help Sergie...

Sergie
Jeese!
How do you keep track of all this information?
Well no wonder I couldn't get them..

What receiver would you recommend for the DVB-S2 signal if I could spend $300?
Just off the top of your head are there a number of receivers that do DVB, DVB-S2, MPG4, MPG2 and whatever the next great compression might be?

Do you use anything in addition to the receiver to decode digital audio ?

Thanks for all your help Sergie...

Myself I do a lot of Google searches looking for answers.

I plan on getting the OpenBox receiver because it seems to have good reviews and I can buy two for the same price of the AZbox. Check the same site that carries the meter as they have it for under 200 with free shipping. From what I've read so far there is no perfect receiver out there as they all seem to have some issue.
Now if you want to spend around 500-7000 dollar range I'm sure there are commercial unit out there that will do everything but what you buy today maybe history tomorrow. If your site can justify that type money then I would start checking by searching the internet. So it comes down to what your requirement are
and budget. Lot of options to think about.
Here's one site that I gotten stuff from which carries high end equipment which might give you an idea of items that are available and might help answer any questions.

Nickless Schirmer & Co. (NSC Communications Systems)

I also read as much as I can digest about satellite reception and about equipment. Problem is that so much of it is written for folks that have a whole level of understanding beyond mine..
For instance..
Here is what I run across all the time...
I was reading thru the FAQ in the FTA section of this very web site..
Here's what it says about Diseqc:

Quick lesson in Diseqc

diseqc 1.0 means it will work with a 2x1 or 4x1 diseqc switch
diseqc 1.1 means it will work with a 8x1 switch
diseqc 1.2 means it can control a motor
diseqc 1.3 means it has USALS function for a motor

I am not poking sticks at the person that wrote this. I am certain it is very useful information for a vast number of readers...but not for me..
First..What is Diseqc? I couldn't tell from this article if it was a signal protocol used in accurately moving a dish around or if it is a piece of equipment.

The folks who write these articles often forget that many of the folks reading this material for the first time are completely blank about this technology..

Where is the "Complete Idiots Guide to FTA Satellite Systems"?
The guide that uses plain everyday language not tech talk...
I need something that helps me grasp the most basic concepts. I've been producing television programs for a long time but none of that has prepared me for understanding the system that gets TV programs distributed.

That's why I ask for help..not because I don't know how to look for information and not because I don't know how to look for equipment..but rather because I am at such a newbie level that I don't know a Diseqc from an audio Pid from a beam eirp and all the info about this stuff starts at a level where understanding of basic concepts is a must..

I keep looking in many different places for information but every time someone contributes here I learn something more and I sincerely appreciate it.

Okay..I'm finished with my rant..

Oh, i agree with you that it's not at all easy to understand, but that's one reason we have so many forums with people discussing their problems. Just remember the only dumb question is the one not asked and this forum will always try and help while some of the others can be questionable.
I've found just going to online retailers web sites that they can sometimes offer information and drawing about setting equipment up.
As far as the Diseqc goes it's just another form of electronically switching that the receiver can use to select morre than one LNB(F). Check out Sadoun web site and go to their Installation FAQ section, lot of good helpful information and plus they offer pictures to help understand. To me pictures can be better than anything else.

Multi-LNBF switch and satellite receivers setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New setup

Shortwave TV may be coming soon!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts