Upgrading form 622 to hopper some Ext HD and Dish questions

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
OK I have a 622 for a few years now and 1 dishes that 1 points to 129 the other to 110/119 and the 622 has an external drive to archive some recordings. I have a hopper coming in a few days and was wondering few things. First will I be able to attach my drive to move my recordings from the 622 to the hopper without loosing what ii on the drive. Next because my dish is high on the roof and most installers do not come the ability to reach my roof, does anyone think I need any type of LNB/switch issues. I am getting a sling and OTA as well. And lastly coming from a lowly 622 any words of wisdom or advice?

Thanks!

Yes, you can transfer the recordings from the 622's EHD to the Hopper without formatting. The tech shouldn't have any issues installing the Hopper system. He may replace the 2 dishes with 1, or he can install a DPP switch for the node.

We hope you enjoy the Hopper, let us know if you have any specific questions.

Yes, you can transfer the recordings from the 622's EHD to the Hopper without formatting.
I have a question about whether or not recordings transferred to EHD in the early days of EHD service will transfer and play on the Hopper. I've got some content from the several years ago (2007?) that I don't want to lose because of some undocumented condition making it non-portable. If I need to transfer the content back to my ViP DVR and re-archive it, I'd like to get started sooner than later.

harshness said:
I have a question about whether or not recordings transferred to EHD in the early days of EHD service will transfer and play on the Hopper. I've got some content from the several years ago (2007?) that I don't want to lose because of some undocumented condition making it non-portable. If I need to transfer the content back to my ViP DVR and re-archive it, I'd like to get started sooner than later.

Personally, I make sure not to transfer ViP content to Hopper after reading all the horror stories around here. I just play them back directly from the EHDs and so far no issues.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:
Yes, you can transfer the recordings from the 622's EHD to the Hopper without formatting. The tech shouldn't have any issues installing the Hopper system. He may replace the 2 dishes with 1, or he can install a DPP switch for the node.

We hope you enjoy the Hopper, let us know if you have any specific questions.

I would be open to a single dish, but would probably want them to re-point from western arc to eastern arc since I am in GA.and had to have trees trimmed and removed twice in 12 years to keep my western arc clea.

Personally, I make sure not to transfer ViP content to Hopper after reading all the horror stories around here. I just play them back directly from the EHDs and so far no issues.

Same here. Eight EHD's between two Hoppers. Just plug them in and play back what you want.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

As one who lost several shows to corruption while transferring from 622 to the Hopper I too would just watch them off of the EHD (no problem with that). I was told by Dish it was being worked on but they never seemed to resolve it.

Does the problem with transferring shows from an EHD to the Hopper only affect shows recorded on older receivers? That is, if you transfer a show from the Hopper to an EHD is there any problem moving it back to the Hopper?

I just play them back directly from the EHDs and so far no issues.
Have you tried this with content that was transferred five years ago? I seem to recall that early on, the content wasn't portable between DVRs and I need to know if this is an issue with the EHD encryption or just something that the DVRs weren't prepared to deal with at the time.

I didn't mean to suggest that I planned on moving all of the content to a Hopper but it makes more sense to use a large capacity DVR to rearrange my collection than the "diminuative" drive of the ViP622.

For me, the question remains: do (as opposed to theoretically) five-year-old EHD transfers play on the Hopper? I've got the entire ST:Enterprise series in commercial-free HD on an EHD along with the Beijing Olympics ceremonies that don't feel the need to lose on an "exception".

Does the problem with transferring shows from an EHD to the Hopper only affect shows recorded on older receivers? That is, if you transfer a show from the Hopper to an EHD is there any problem moving it back to the Hopper?

That worked fine for me. It was only 622 to Hopper that had a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts