Upgrading from 722 ViP to Hopper?

J-Man

Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
Hi there -

We've had the 722 ViP in my house for 11 years now(!).... I think it's on its last legs.... Also, I hate the blue guide and have wanted to upgrade for awhile, but it was always my understanding the newer installs pretty much only came with 1 DVR/Receiver and the rest of the tv's had Joeys(?)..... there is NO WAY I want to share a DVR with the rest of the house. Currently there is 1 receiver/dvr in the living room (unshared with anyone), then in my casita I have my own receiver/dvr (shared with a guest room which is always unoccupied). Can I get 2 Hoppers for 2 tv's? That would mean - I hope - getting 2 receiver/dvr for 2 televisions total. A dish rep on a phone call said it wasn't a problem, it would just be an extra cost for the Hopper.... this was before I learned there were several types of Hoppers.... I'm assuming I'd get the Hopper-3 for each tv??? Thanks for any advice.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi there -

We've had the 722 ViP in my house for 11 years now(!).... I think it's on its last legs.... Also, I hate the blue guide and have wanted to upgrade for awhile, but it was always my understanding the newer installs pretty much only came with 1 DVR/Receiver and the rest of the tv's had Joeys(?)..... there is NO WAY I want to share a DVR with the rest of the house. Currently there is 1 receiver/dvr in the living room (unshared with anyone), then in my casita I have my own receiver/dvr (shared with a guest room which is always unoccupied). Can I get 2 Hoppers for 2 tv's? That would mean - I hope - getting 2 receiver/dvr for 2 televisions total. A dish rep on a phone call said it wasn't a problem, it would just be an extra cost for the Hopper.... this was before I learned there were several types of Hoppers.... I'm assuming I'd get the Hopper-3 for each tv??? Thanks for any advice.
You're assuming wrong. Dish will not create a work order for 2 Hopper 3's unless you purchase one of them and for 2 TVs that's overkill since Hopper 3 will run up to 6 TVs and allow 16 recordings at once.
If you have more than one Receiver, they have to both be replaced by the Hopper system and you may as well get it done if you plan on staying with Dish because eventually, you won't have a choice. Dish is slowly migrating everything away from older technology.

Curious about sharing the DVR. Are you recording top-secret stuff no one else is allowed to know about?? lol

A Hopper is a whole home DVR meaning that the entire house, no matter how many TVs is one system, working together.

You're assuming wrong. Dish will not create a work order for 2 Hopper 3's unless you purchase one of them and for 2 TVs that's overkill since Hopper 3 will run up to 6 TVs and allow 16 recordings at once.
If you have more than one Receiver, they have to both be replaced by the Hopper system and you may as well get it done if you plan on staying with Dish because eventually, you won't have a choice. Dish is slowly migrating everything away from older technology.

Curious about sharing the DVR. Are you recording top-secret stuff no one else is allowed to know about?? lol

A Hopper is a whole home DVR meaning that the entire house, no matter how many TVs is one system, working together.
Thanks for the reply. Ugh. That's what I thought...
I literally have shows on my DVR going back 10 years (like, Charlie Rose and stuff not even on the air anymore) and the rest of my family is in a horrible habit of never deleting shows once they've watched them. It's just annoying to have to share a DVR. We each record about 5 or 6 shows a day. it adds up!

Thanks for the reply. Ugh. That's what I thought...
I literally have shows on my DVR going back 10 years (like, Charlie Rose and stuff not even on the air anymore) and the rest of my family is in a horrible habit of never deleting shows once they've watched them. It's just annoying to have to share a DVR. We each record about 5 or 6 shows a day. it adds up!
I get that. On the Hopper, you can create custom folders so they can send their recordings into theirs and you can create one for yours. You can even set recordings to go to it by default

You have the option of archiving these recordings to an external hard drive that can be used with the Vip722 as well as any of the Hopper DVRs.

Reactions: charlesrshell