Upgrading from a 722 to a hopper

rb8484

Original poster
May 9, 2011
Southwest Michigan
My 722 has started to act up, so I figured I would call and see about upgrading to the hopper. Maybe a DIRT member can get me correct pricing, as I talked with 2 different reps at dish and got 2 different answers.

I was told it would cost me $50 one time fee to upgrade, I was ok with that (both reps told me this). I was told by one rep that it was $100 to install, the other said it was free install. One rep said it was $10 per month for the hopper, and $7 for each joey. The other rep told me it was $4 for the hopper and $7 for each joey.

Which is it??

I told them I was also interested in the sling adapter and it was $50, but both told me I could get it for $25.

Can you mirror one of the joeys to run 2 tvs? There are only 2 of us, so we are never watching 3 different shows at the same time.

If you had a hopper and a 1 joey, you can record up to 2 shows? If your recording 2 shows at the same time, can you watch something else?

Ive been with dish for a while, I have been out of contract for over a year. Just trying to figure out what direction I want to go with my TV service.

I never did ask what it would cost to upgrade to the 922 with the built in sling. Can you let me know what upgrade fees, install fees and monthly fees would be for the 922?

Thanks!!!

Hi, I would be happy to assist you. I do apolgize for the confusing way the information was relayed to you. The Hopper has a $10.00 DVR fee, since you are paying a $6.00 DVR fee now the Hopper wil cost you $4.00 more each month for the DVR fee. The Hopper has three tuners so you can record two different shows and still watch a third show live. Please send me your account or phone number and the four digit pin number on your account and I will detail the upgrade cost to you for the Hopper as well as the ViP922.

DISH does not support mirroring the Joey.

I suggest you NOT consider the ViP922 further. It's rep is not the best. Some are happy with it, but many are not.

I have read several times here that the PQ is better with the Hopper than the 722. Is this true and can you explain why?. How does the Hopper compare speed wise and stability wise? Any idea when the OTA capability will be available? I've been reading "SOON" for several months now.

A newer chipset may have better output, so it sounds reasonable, to me.

I've seen many reports of snappier operation, and no dissenting opinions, so that seems true, too. Of course, I have no complaints about speed with my ViP722s.

OTA? In the near future. Sorry, it seems closer every day, but we really can't know, since it's out of Dish's hands.

As a tech myself, do not mirror the joey, because you need an OTA module and a straight back feed, and that can cause issues.

What are you talking about? You're a tech? an OTA module for a hopper? WHAT? Need to re-think what you wrote? Techs like you make the rest of us look bad!

If you have 2 cables going to the joey, it's no problem to mirror a joey, just need an RF modulator, and you can mirror the joey on chan 3 out of the RF modulator. it can be done, but you need a 2nd cable from the joey back to your home run, or the other room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)