Upgrading from SD to HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SFGuy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
California
I have a question and I think I would get a better answer here than I would calling a CSR. I got a new HD TV a few months ago for the first time (replacing one of those old brick TV sets) and was thinking about upgrading from SD to HD. I had DTV installed back in 1996 (with a minor change to the actual dish in 2010 when the signal stopped working). If I do upgrade from SD to HD, do I have to have the actual dish replaced, too, since the dish has been up since 1996 (before HD)? or can I just order a new receiver and just hook it up?

You'll need a new dish and receiver
The HD channels are on another satellite that aren't seen by your current dish

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

If you upgrade, the dish will be replaced as part of the job, no charge for it.

I guess I will call DTV up tomorrow to upgrade. I was going to do it now but I'll wait until tomorrow.

Guys, your jumping the gun a bit ...
He said he had the dish changed (?) in 2010, seeing we don't know what dish was put in, we cannot say he needs a new dish, however, he will want an installer out to do the job that way he can make sure Everything is working correctly when he leaves, if the dish Does need changed out the installer will do it then.

I actually do plan to upgrade. Thanks for the info, folks. But I don't know if I will do it tomorrow but wait closer to baseball season. I would want it for baseball and football (and it's doubtful they would install before the Super Bowl). I don't really watch much else so I could save a bit of money by waiting until March to upgrade. I thought about it because I found out my new HD TV actually has one HD channel on it that the TV found (local ABC station) and I was watching a little NBA. It looked outstanding and switching back to SD channels for other stuff made it look bad.

I actually do plan to upgrade. Thanks for the info, folks. But I don't know if I will do it tomorrow but wait closer to baseball season. I would want it for baseball and football (and it's doubtful they would install before the Super Bowl). I don't really watch much else so I could save a bit of money by waiting until March to upgrade. I thought about it because I found out my new HD TV actually has one HD channel on it that the TV found (local ABC station) and I was watching a little NBA. It looked outstanding and switching back to SD channels for other stuff made it look bad.
Do you have an Over the Air antenna ?

Plug it into the TV, scan for your stations, you will probably get all your Locals in HD free ....

Plug it into the TV, scan for your stations, you will probably get all your Locals in HD free ....

Including NBC for the Super Bowl, CBS/Fox for NFL, and Fox for baseball. Plus whatever else is OTA.

After the upgrade, get the AM21 tuner and keep the antenna and have a wonderful mixture of OTA and Directv all in one place.

No OTA antenna for me. Isn't local channels in HD for DTV? I still would want to it for MLB Extra Innings and NFL Sunday Ticket (even if I have to get Max). I would only need HD between now and April for the Super Bowl. After watching OKC-CLE in HD today on ABC, watching Seattle-New England in SD would be deflating.

Last edited:
No OTA antenna for me. Isn't local channels in HD for DTV? I still would want to it for MLB Extra Innings and NFL Sunday Ticket (even if I have to get Max). I would only need HD between now and April for the Super Bowl. After watching OKC-CLE in HD today on ABC, watching Seattle-New England in SD would be deflating.

I see what you did there. Well done.

Yes locals are HD on Directv. You don't need max for HD Sunday ticket. If you're getting a signal without an antenna, a cheap antenna would do the trick for many locals probably. What's your zip code?

It doesn't hurt to call and see when they could schedule you for. In my DMA we are working extra days thru super bowl Sunday to try and get as many of the upgrades and installs in as possible.

I see what you did there. Well done.

Yes locals are HD on Directv. You don't need max for HD Sunday ticket. If you're getting a signal without an antenna, a cheap antenna would do the trick for many locals probably. What's your zip code?

You should be able to get all of the channels above 60 dB on the list with a cheap indoor antenna without much trouble. Definitely worth it to get one and add to Directv, in my opinion. You won't be effected by disputes with locals if your area has one. And you'll get the locals if you get any rain fade.

Consult rabbitears.info for complete list of channels and subchannels.

Definitely check and see if you can get a tech out this week. The post about extra attention this week is encouraging.

Attachments

• 1422255629949.jpg
    1422255629949.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 159
You should be able to get all of the channels above 60 dB on the list with a cheap indoor antenna without much trouble. Definitely worth it to get one and add to Directv, in my opinion. You won't be effected by disputes with locals if your area has one. And you'll get the locals if you get any rain fade.

Consult rabbitears.info for complete list of channels and subchannels.

Definitely check and see if you can get a tech out this week. The post about extra attention this week is encouraging.
Yup, there's no reason he should be able to get at least the Major networks with an indoor antenna pointed in the right direction and be able to watch the SB.

Btw, they moved the College National Championship game off Network OTA channels, how long till they do the same with the Pro's ?

It doesn't hurt to call and see when they could schedule you for. In my DMA we are working extra days thru super bowl Sunday to try and get as many of the upgrades and installs in as possible.

I called today (the 26th). Earliest day is February 2nd (or a day after the Super Bowl). I'll wait until March to call again.

Don't know if I will go with the indoor antenna. I think I could tolerate it for another two months (I've tolerate SD for years).

I called today (the 26th). Earliest day is February 2nd (or a day after the Super Bowl). I'll wait until March to call again.

Don't know if I will go with the indoor antenna. I think I could tolerate it for another two months (I've tolerate SD for years).
Throw up an indoor antenna, set it behind the TV, you'll never see it and you'll have access to the locals in HD until you go HD with D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)