Upgrading my Dish System

Keystone7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
North Indiana
Hello,
I have a question about upgrading my dish system. I have called Dish over the last few months and get different prices depending who I get to talk to. I am going on 4 years with dish and have heard so much about the Hopper and Joey.

This is my setup:

I use (2) Vip211's that I use with my HD TV's. (I might add another HD TV later.) One is owned by DISH and I own the other.
What new equipment will I need?

The bottom line is:
I want to watch HD and record on TV only in the living room!
In the bed room to watch HD TV.
(Keep in mind, I may want to add the third TV later.) (Maybe basement.)

Thanks for any help!

You may be able to upgrade to a Hopper at the cost of extra monthly fees and a new 2yr agreement. You can even keep your owned 211. Or, you could just pay the one-time $40 fee and convert both your 211s to a DVR, with the addition of external USB disks. No extra monthly fees.

Right now with 2 211's you are only paying 7 dollars for equipment fees.

Upgrading to Hopper and Joey will increase your monthly by 12 bucks a month. So you'll end up with $19/month for equipment. Just so you know.

Cheapest is to stick with what you have. You could later run HDMI from a ViP211 to the "3rd" HDTV and component to the "local" HDTV.

Next best, IMHO: One Hopper, keep the owned ViP211. Run HDMI from the Hopper to #3, and component locally. For this, and the previous paragraph, you would watch the same program on both TVs. But the ViP211 would be independent.

Third choice, most flexible: Keep ViP211 for 3rd HDTV and for tailgating, and get a 1 Hopper 1 Joey setup. All three TVs would have independent viewing.

Please let us know which route you take, and any further questions.

And BTW, I recommend getting the Hopper with Sling, not the basic Hopper. Up front costs may vary.

Thanks for all the great comments!
This gives me a better idea on how to obtain the best setup! I realize I will have a new year 2 year contract.
It pays to ask questions here and tap the experience from others. I think I will check with a local Dish seller and get a human to talk to and get it on paper also. When I have my information from them, I'll let you all know the out come!
Again and thanks!

To follow up on that, I'm not seeing why what you currently have isn't what you need? You don't care about recording in any room but the living room, and want HD in the bedroom, and possibly at some point in another room. Well you have all that now, with the option to have HD in another room at some point, perhaps for free if mirrored. Why (for your situation) pay the money in fees for a Hopper system? Had you not emphasized that you don't want to record in the bedroom or the future extra room I would understand the upgrade.

Upgrading one of the 211's to a 622/722(k) would do the same and may not trigger a 2 year commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)