Upgrading round dish to ka/ku -TROUBLE

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That makes sense to me. So - then the Azimuth and Elevation should be exactly the same as the Round dish, but then I need to twist (skew) the dish around (left or right?) to get a signal?

skew will always be the same for your zip code. set that first. then rough aim the elevation, then go for the azimuth. go to dishpointer.com to get the correct numbers for your zip code. use the magnetic and not the true number for azimuth.

Dish Setup Data
Latitude: 44.7822°
Longitude: -88.6090°
Name: DirecTV 3 LNB (101W, 110W, 119W)​
Distance: 38252km
Motor Latitude: 44.8°
Declination Angle: 6.8°
Dish Elevation: °
Elevation: 34.2°
Azimuth (true): 209.1°
Azimuth (magn.): 212.5°
LNB Skew [?]: 20.2°
arrow-l.png
arrow-r.png

Dish Skew [?]: 69.8°
arrow-l.png
arrow-r.png

That makes sense to me. So - then the Azimuth and Elevation should be exactly the same as the Round dish, but then I need to twist (skew) the dish around (left or right?) to get a signal?

No, both are different. The round dish points at 101, the Phase III at 110. The skew tilts down to the right as you look from behind the dish. Go here and put in your address:Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com It will tell you what the skew, elevation, and azimuth is. You have to point the dish slightly to the right of where the old dish pointed.

The thing I wonder now is why the ebay instructions with the dish said to get a strong 101 signal, then get a 119 signal. There was no mention of 110. What could be on 110?

There isn't anything on 110 anymore, but in order to get 101 and 119, you have to point in between them, at 110.

So the stronger 110 signal I can get - the better? Also, the LNB has 4 possible cable connections. Does it matter which one I connect to?

The outputs from the lnb are all the same. There is no signal coming from 110, but you still have to point at it to get 101 and 119.

These responses kept getting increasing more helpful. I think I now have confidence to get this done. THANK YOU, all!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)