Upgrading SD Equipment to HD so that I can see the Blockbuster HD channels with my Welcome Package

lostinthemusiq

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Atlanta
I spoke to a Dish CSR rep a couple of weeks ago about upgrading my SD receiver and Satellite Dish a couple of weeks ago, to HD so that I could see the Block Buster HD channels with my Welcome Pack I can currently see the SD channels that come with the BB package however I can't see the HD Channels that are in the package since I only have SD equipment. The CSR told me that by upgrading my Satellite Dish and receivers to HD I would be able to see the Block Buster HD channels in SD. He also told me that if I went through Dish to upgrade my Dish & receivers and if they sent out a Technician to my house for the installation that they would take me out of my grandfathered package and upgrade my programming (You can no longer get the Block Buster Movie pass with the Welcome package anymore) and that without the programming upgrade they would not do the installation does anyone know if this is true? I do not want to change my current programming at this point. Does anyone know if I buy the HD equipment and do a self install would I be able to increase the number of TV's on my account from 2 TV’s to 6 TV’s and would I be able to see all of the included SD & HD BB Movie pass channels on all 6 TV’s?

Thanks in Advance

:confused:

What do you currently have for equipment? In Atlanta I think you need Eastern Arc and 6 HDTVs would mean you need to buy 6 VIP receivers and maybe a disn and switch.

It would cost a small fortune to buy the needed equipment including 6 VIP receivers for 6 HDTV's. If you upgraded your programming to Dish America which costs $35/month, you would get a lot more HD channels for your money, you would get most of your Blockbuster channels in HD (some are SD only), they would let you lease some VIP receivers so you wouldn't have to buy all of them, and they would install the upgrade for a reasonable fee. The only downside is the 2 year extension to your contract with Dish, but you would save hundreds of dollars up front. Do you have the skills to install a 6 HDTV satellite setup?

I would try to limit the # of receivers, because each one beyond the first is going to have a monthly fee even if you buy it. Buying receivers does not save money compared to leasing--the monthly fees are the same. I am single and have 2 HDTV's using just one VIP receiver. One HDTV is connected to component and the other HDMI, so both can watch the same program in HD at the same time. The new Hopper and Joey system looks attractive for a multiple HDTV setup, but for 6 HDTV's, you would want 2 Hopper's. Unfortunately, from what I've read on this site, Dish won't lease 2 Hopper setups yet.

A thought about being grandfathered. They can and do change the rules. I used to have a package called "HD Absolute" which was a great bargain. I got kicked out a year ago when they stopped offering the package, after having being grandfathered for a couple of years. Grandfathering doesn't last forever.

Grandfathering doesn't last forever.

Dish is going to get their pound of flesh$$$$$. Don't forget receiver feeees of $7 per month for each leased or owned receiver.

Dish America $34.99
Blockbuster@Home - 1 Disc $10.00
HD Receiver $7.00
HD Receiver $7.00
DVR Service $6.00
Taxes $7.20
Monthly Charges $71.19 That 34.99 becomes 71.19

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts