Upgrading subs/Bought Rythmik FV15HP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
How far apart are the mains now? Could be an optical illusion, but they look awfully close. I know I want to move my Wharfedale's farther apart. I'm highly considering moving them into the theater room and bringing the MKs downstairs and mounting the center above the TV since it toes downward towards the listener.

S~

That pic was pretty close, but I wasnt done.

This is last night after I finished re-aiming the center up and toed the fronts in.

IMG_1655_zpswkfbufsb.jpg

They are about 8 feet apart and 9.5ft from MLP. When the subs are inside two things happen, the sub freq resp is not as good which makes sense since this is a large room and the closer they are the more they act like one. The second is that the mains are out almost 11 feet and when stuff happens at the edge of the screen or off screen, it sounds like it happens across the room. It's too weird an effect because I think they are spread out too far for home theater.

The 7ii's can of course handle being spread out easily.

Here are sweeps of the mismatched subs, and now the dual rythmiks. As you can see my room issues did not change much, but the second rythmik picked up the low end from 14hz to 28hz.

fvandvtf%20vs%20fvs_zpsl8pl54ys.jpg

Here are some spl tests

Dual VTF's in Max Extension Mode and Dual FV15HP's. Speaker level settings done the same way, so it should be fair.

16hz tone---85.8---91.7
20hz---85.1---91.6
25hz---84.4---89.9
31.5hz---88.5---89.2
40hz---92.5---93.5
50hz---94.6---95.8
63hz---96.2---96.4

Transformers hwy battle max spl---107.3---111.0
Transformers city battle max spl---108.3---111.7

This is just the dual V15HP's. I think it looks great considering the volume target was 85db's.

sub%20xt32%20dual%20fv15hp_zpsxq0fflpb.jpg

I have +/-5 dB from 12hz to 110hz. The freq response of the dual VTF's was like an upside down bowl, they did not gather steam until about 30hz, where these rythmiks start low and stay level.

Reactions: teachsac
Compression sweeps

Have some down low at -5db volume and 0.0 volume but pretty good output considering the size of this room and these measurements are 3.5 meters from the subs. I am going to try 2 ports open mode today to see if it helps and reduces distortion.

Dual%20FV15%20sweeps_zpswnujind2.jpg

How far apart are the mains now? Could be an optical illusion, but they look awfully close. I know I want to move my Wharfedale's farther apart. I'm highly considering moving them into the theater room and bringing the MKs downstairs and mounting the center above the TV since it toes downward towards the listener.

S~

I ended up taking the 7ii's back outside the subs. They just do not sound right if I get them too close, so they are now about 10ft apart and 10.1 and 10.2 from the MLP per XT32. Sounds much better. I have the subs crammed together on both sides of the stand and settled on two ports, 18hz, mode for them. I need the headroom at high playback and it showed in the sweeps. Not sure what I am missing from 16hz to 12hz, but doubt it is much when you consider what I get from 20hz to 120hz.

Finally got around to using the SPL meter on some scenes with the subs setup in 1 port plugged 12hz mode.

Transformers Hwy Battle hit 112.1 db's at the MLP
During part of the battle at the end in the city they hit 112.3 db's

During the pod race they hit 113.3 db's

Thats at about 10 feet from the subs.