Upgrading System from legacy Dish 500

danie906

Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Alright, I know this has probably been asked a billion times, but I can't find the answer, so here it goes again:

I have had my Dish 500 dual LMB and i-don't-know-how-old receiver forever. Can I just get a new 522 and hook it up? I saw one on EBay for $99. I recently moved to a new home, so I could probably just take one of the promo offers and get a new three room setup. What would I do with the old dish and reciever? Can I still use them somehow?

Thanks for any help!
Jeff

danie906 said:
Alright, I know this has probably been asked a billion times, but I can't find the answer, so here it goes again:

I have had my Dish 500 dual LMB and i-don't-know-how-old receiver forever. Can I just get a new 522 and hook it up? I saw one on EBay for $99. I recently moved to a new home, so I could probably just take one of the promo offers and get a new three room setup. What would I do with the old dish and reciever? Can I still use them somehow?

Thanks for any help!
Jeff

Jeff,

You don't need to scrap the Dish 500 with the Legacy LNBF, it will work just fine with the 522 just as long as you have 2 feeds coming from the Dish to the 522, but if you only have 2 feeds coming from your Legacy Dish 500 you will need an additional switch or other components to connect more than one 522 to your Dish 500.
The Three Room Promo is not good for existing subscribers, once you become a Dish subscriber you can't take advantage of any NEW Subscriber deals. You can sell the old receiver on Ebay though.
Lastly many existing Dish Subscribers have had trouble getting Dish to activate the 522's purchased used from EBAY. Dish only wants these units to go to NEW LEASE subscribers.

John

Is it truly a "dual" LNB, or a "twin" LNB? Early Dish500 systems had two separate LNBs, one on each half of the Y-adapter; an external switch was required. If you have this setup, you'll need to have two available feeds from the switch; if not, you'll have to replace the switch and/or the LNB.

Newer legacy Dish500 systems have a "twin" LNB with two feedhorns and an integrated switch in one housing. If you have that, you will need to run both feeds from the LNB to the 522. If you're using the other feed for another receiver, you'll have to add a switch or upgrade to a "quad" LNB.

You also didn't say if Dish is aware of your move (i.e., they moved the dish, or you changed your address with them). If they are, then you can't get new-subscriber deals, though you may be able to upgrade your receivers under existing-subscriber deals. However, if you have a new address/phone number AND your account is still at your old address/phone number, you MAY be able to sign up as a new subscriber using the new address and phone number.

Legacy LNB

Thanks for the info guys! As usual, however, your answers have given me more questions...
I believe I have the "twin" LNB setup because I have an external switch, as you described. I then have a single cable running to the reciever. So, are you saying I need another switch to go from one cable after the first switch to two cables at the 522? OR can I not use the switch at all and just run one line from each LNB on the dish to the reciever?

I figure I may just try to get the new promo deal. I have changed address but not phone, they do think I am still at the old address, and I can use my wifes name to sign up. The worst they can do is say no and I just go to EBay!

Thanks!
Jeff

danie906 said:
Thanks for the info guys! As usual, however, your answers have given me more questions...
I believe I have the "twin" LNB setup because I have an external switch, as you described. I then have a single cable running to the reciever. So, are you saying I need another switch to go from one cable after the first switch to two cables at the 522? OR can I not use the switch at all and just run one line from each LNB on the dish to the reciever?

I figure I may just try to get the new promo deal. I have changed address but not phone, they do think I am still at the old address, and I can use my wifes name to sign up. The worst they can do is say no and I just go to EBay!

Thanks!
Jeff

Your phone # stays on file, you will show up as an existing customer..If you have an external switch you may have 2 dual lnb's or 2 single lnb's.

What jssat said. A Twin would NOT have an external switch. If you have 2 separate LNBs on your Dish500, then you WILL have an external switch, and WILL need some additional hardware.

Go here to get an idea of what you've actually got. Note that if there's no label the only way to tell the difference between a Single and a Dual, or a Twin vs. a Quad is to remove the mounting screws and count the number of connectors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)