Upgrading to 522 or 625

rsindle

Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
I am relatively new to this, but here is my situation.
I have a Dish 500 with 2-301's and 1-501 PVR.
I want to trade th 501 for a 522 or 625 to get dual tuner capability (or bag a 301 and add a line and get the 522 or 625).

Basement- 1 line in and a 301. We can disregard this part of the setup.
Main TV room-2 lines in thru the wall. 1 going to the 501 the other to the 301.
The 501 sends its signal back out through the wall to the rest of the house.
Both receivers send there output to my Main TV.

Questions:
1. Can a single cable signal be split (once in the house) to feed both tuners on the new PVR? (Thus eliminating the need to drill another hole in my house).
2. What is the difference(s) between the 625 and the 522? I don't even see the 522 or the 721 anymore on the DishNetwork website. Most importantly, I think, is: Do both the 522 and the 625 offer PIP "on any TV"??
3. Dishnetwork was going to give me the dual tuner PVR but could not guarantee which model would arrive. Should I care?
4. Someone elswhere posted that the 622 (not 625) responded almost instantaneously when changing channels. Are the 522 and 625 "fast" when changing channels? Our 501 is famously slow to move from channel to channel.
That ALONE would be a good reason to upgrade.
Thank you very much for any help you can provide.
Rob

Can any of you brainiacs help?

I'm responding to my own question to get this post some attention.
Some of you guys know these answers inside and out. (4 quick questions) If you can just help me out here, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Rob:

1. if you have the correct lnb or switch (DPP) then yes it could use a seperator - what do you have. Run checkswitch and report read out.
2. dont know try here http://ekb.dbstalk.com/101.
3. i assume you mean 625 or 522, so based on 2 i would say maybe.
625 Based on the 522, it has a larger 250GB hard drive with the added capacity dedicated for loading PPV offerings. .
4. dont knwo dont have one.

Last edited:
rsindle said:
I am relatively new to this, but here is my situation.
I have a Dish 500 with 2-301's and 1-501 PVR.
I want to trade th 501 for a 522 or 625 to get dual tuner capability (or bag a 301 and add a line and get the 522 or 625).

Basement- 1 line in and a 301. We can disregard this part of the setup.
Main TV room-2 lines in thru the wall. 1 going to the 501 the other to the 301.
The 501 sends its signal back out through the wall to the rest of the house.
Both receivers send there output to my Main TV.

Questions:
1. Can a single cable signal be split (once in the house) to feed both tuners on the new PVR? (Thus eliminating the need to drill another hole in my house).
2. What is the difference(s) between the 625 and the 522? I don't even see the 522 or the 721 anymore on the DishNetwork website. Most importantly, I think, is: Do both the 522 and the 625 offer PIP "on any TV"??
3. Dishnetwork was going to give me the dual tuner PVR but could not guarantee which model would arrive. Should I care?
4. Someone elswhere posted that the 622 (not 625) responded almost instantaneously when changing channels. Are the 522 and 625 "fast" when changing channels? Our 501 is famously slow to move from channel to channel.
That ALONE would be a good reason to upgrade.
Thank you very much for any help you can provide.
Rob

Hi Rob,

I upgraded from a 501 to a 625 and it does change channels a lot faster then the 501. I know they had to run 2 lines from the superdish to my 625 then another line from the 625 to the other tv.

Not for sure what switch I have.

Later,

BigJohn2

I would move the 501 to the basement and get rid of the two 301's. Use the two existing lines coming to the main tv for the dual tuner and feed the outputs from the dual tuner to the rest of the house. You would need a Dish Pro Plus lnb plus a separator to run a dual tuner with a single cable.