Upgrading to DISH HD - a couple questions

am_dew

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
My first post here...thanks for the forum.

A few weeks ago we bought two HD TV's. We currently have a DISH 625 box supplying signals to both TVs (one in living room, other in bedroom). We get DISH via AT&T. Since getting the HD TVs I have hooked up an indoor antenna in order to receive local HD signals and see that we could see what all the hype about HD is. We liked what we saw, so we are upgrading to DISH HD--installation is scheduled for tomorrow.

As for the upgrade, we opted to go with two DISH 612 boxes...one for each TV. Installation is scheduled for tomorrow. Will the 612 boxes come with an HDMI cable or will we have to supply them?

One TV is a 32" 720p LCD (bedroom), the other is a 42" 1080P plasma (living room). I suppose for the bedroom TV, an HDMI cable would not do any good since it's only 720P, correct? But I would think an HDMI cable for the 1080p plasma would be best, but then again I have read about some audio issues with the 612 and HDMI cables so maybe it's better to just go with RGB component video cables?

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

My first post here...thanks for the forum.

No dice on the included HDMI cables, although some report it does depend on your installer. I had HD installed (with AT&T/Dish) about two weeks ago and the installer was pretty emphatic that HDMI cables are never included. There are several inexpensive ways to go to get HDMI, in fact they're cheap enough that you could get two (or more if you need one for an upconverting DVD player or the like) and won't be out a ton of dough if you don't use them.

Personally, I like the look of the component cables better than HDMI. It's a little softer, I guess -- HDMI looked just too, uh, well, "digital" if that makes any sense. Component was definitely better (as if such subjective things can really be definite) for SD content, of which there is still quite a bit.

Good luck with your install.

Bit of advice: Whoever is savvier with this stuff, you or your wife, should be home if possible to make sure everything is as you want it. My first-round upgrade was botched, but thankfully Dish sent a QA team around and they caught the issues and fixed them before I could even call to complain. Not sure if this is SOP, but they did the same thing with my initial install three years ago. Maybe it's an AT&T-related thing?

No dice on the included HDMI cables, although some report it does depend on your installer. I had HD installed (with AT&T/Dish) about two weeks ago and the installer was pretty emphatic that HDMI cables are never included. There are several inexpensive ways to go to get HDMI, in fact they're cheap enough that you could get two (or more if you need one for an upconverting DVD player or the like) and won't be out a ton of dough if you don't use them.

Thanks for the follow up. Can you elaborate a little more on where I might get a couple of HDMI cables inexpensively? They look to be quite expensive...$25-30 minimum based upon a quick Google search.

Plan on buying two HDMI cables. Your 720p TV, if it has an HDMI input, would benefit from the digital input of the HDMI. Not to mention it's only one small cable vs. a larger component cable.

I buy HDMI cables from Monoprice.com. Don't buy the overpriced cables from the big box stores, it's a waste of money. All though it sounds like you need cables by tomorrow.

If you can temporarily connect with component until the HDMI cables show up you'll save yourself about $100 on two 6' cables.

Scott

Thanks for the links. I will surely hook up with component cables until I can get some cables from monoprice.com.

Use extreme care when hooking up the HDMI cables to your DVR. The HDMI jacks are surface mounted and can pop loose if the cable hangs down and exerts a lifting force on the jack. Plug your cable in and fasten it to the dvr with a zip tie or something to keep the cable from pushing on the jack.

Use extreme care when hooking up the HDMI cables to your DVR. The HDMI jacks are surface mounted and can pop loose if the cable hangs down and exerts a lifting force on the jack. Plug your cable in and fasten it to the dvr with a zip tie or something to keep the cable from pushing on the jack.

That's less of a problem with the newer 622's. I've had my 622 for over a year with no problems whatsoever.

That's less of a problem with the newer 622's. I've had my 622 for over a year with no problems whatsoever.
True, if you see a screw above the jack then they have provided bracing for the jack. Otherwise, it is very disconcerting to suddenly not have your HDMI output and have to wait on Dish to replace our receiver, if they agree to replace it.

Post install report

Upgrade/install report:

• Installers had a hard time getting a good signal on the new dish. Although everything passes in the Diagnostics area, the signal level is only about 50. It was 80+ on the other equipment installed in the same location. Have not noticed any pixelization yet, but we do get messages quite often saying the signal has been lost but after pressing the remote channel up or down button, it works again. This happens most often it seems when changing channels from an OTA channel to a SAT channel.
  • The time it takes to display the picure when changing channels is significantly slower on the 612 boxes than the old 625 box we had...kind of annoying.
  • The remote is sometimes very slow to respond to input despite pointing it directly at the box. The input seems to get buffered because every command you pressed eventually happens suddenly. I'm thinking of switching the remotes over to IR mode since the box is in direct line with where we usually operate the remote from. For now though, I have moved the the remote antenna and attached it to a curtain rod right above the TV to see if that helps.
Also, until we can order a couple HDMI cables, the 612s are both connected to the HD TVs via component video cables. Picture quality is great so probably will not notice the difference in HDMI vs. component but will be nice to not have all those thick RCA cables.

Last edited:
50 is a good signal they have lowered the signal meter so it looks like it is lower when it really is not. the channel scan time is a little slower from what i have seen to also coming from a 625 but i hardly ever just channel scan i usually use the guide to pick what i want to watch and hardly notice a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)