Upgrading to Hopper 3. Will I get new or refurbished?

electronics enthusiast

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
I'm a long-time continuous Dish customer, starting in 1998. I pay by credit card Autopay. I'm wanting to upgrade from Hopper 2 to the newest model of Hopper 3. If I phone Dish and tell them to upgrade me, will they try to stick me with an older model, refurbished Hopper 3, or will they give me the latest and greatest new hopper 3? Also, I hear some talk of an upcoming Hopper 4. Is that for real? Should I delay my upgrade until it comes out?

When my own purchased H3 went bad, I was sent a refurbished one from Dish. I'd only had the new one for about a week, so I could have sent it back to the store to get a new one, but I didn't care.

I wish that they would either allow us to have two usb ota dongles that can do 4 ota channels at the same time or come out with a new usb dongle that can split into 4 ota channels at the same time. With the price of locals going up to $12.00 a month we could really use that feature. I could then drop my sat locals and drop the price. It feels stupid paying more for locals than I do HBO.

I could have swore you said the same thing about the single tuner adapter, begging for it to have 2 tuners. Fact is, no one is ever going to be completely happy, and a 4 tuner OTA dongle, businesswise, would be excessive.

Fact is, no one is ever going to be completely happy
Just like talk about a Hopper 4 and people mentioning (32) satellite tuners. Give me a ****ing break ! We've NEVER came close to using the (16) we have and I'll bet that 98% of Dish customers are the same. Only people "using" 16 tuners are those who try it just to see it happen.

Reactions: Bobby and ChadT41
I could have swore you said the same thing about the single tuner adapter, begging for it to have 2 tuners. Fact is, no one is ever going to be completely happy, and a 4 tuner OTA dongle, businesswise, would be excessive.
I was talking about enabeling the two sat tuners on the Wally they advertised was coming soon on their ad sheet. Which I just read they have done in the other thread. Having 4 ota tuners would allow many to escape paying 12.00 a month for sat locals. I am always going to look to save money on tv. It’s just my nature to look to get the most for my money paying the least.

I wish that they would either allow us to have two usb ota dongles that can do 4 ota channels at the same time or come out with a new usb dongle that can split into 4 ota channels at the same time. With the price of locals going up to $12.00 a month we could really use that feature. I could then drop my sat locals and drop the price. It feels stupid paying more for locals than I do HBO.

A 4 tuner adapter wold heat your whole house for you. :biggrin

I was talking about before there was a 2 tuner OTA. And I believe there was a Wally.
But the Wally didn't do two sat tuners till recently. It was always advertised in their slick advertisement about the Wally and it's features "coming soon" and I even posted about it back in the day.

Reactions: pattykay
...and Dish will logically group national channels together on the same transponders so that PTAT can be enabled
There have been rumblings of Dish planning to do this ever since PTAT came out. Technically, it could work today but getting the right combination of channels would be purely by chance for the user. For instance, if someone tried to record something off of Comedy Central, Food Network, and FX, that could be done with (1) tuner (those three channels, plus more, are all on 129º, # 2 transponder, and # 55 spotbeam).

Reactions: littlecloud319

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts